wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - 6 locks »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 11:30am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: Icarus, ThudnBlunder, Grimbal, Eigenray, towr, SMQ, william wu)
   6 locks
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 6 locks  (Read 3643 times)
Christine

6 locks  
« on: Nov 22nd, 2013, 2:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

If you have 6 locks on your door, and lock only 3 of them.

That way, if a thief tries to pick the locks, he'll always be locking 3 of them no matter how he does it.

Would that be true? Is it something you would do? If not, can you suggest a better way?
IP Logged

Re: 6 locks  
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22nd, 2013, 7:19pm »

In my experience you turn the key in a different directions to lock it and unlock it. However, I would imagine there do exist locks which have to be turned in the opposite direction from other locks allowing the intended setup.

Given that to unlock the three locked ones, you turn in the same direction as you do to lock the three unlocked ones, the thief can always undo what he or she tries. Provided with enough time, he/she will be able to try all configurations and eventually be able to open the door.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2013, 7:19pm by 0.999... » IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #2 on: Nov 23rd, 2013, 8:56am »

on Nov 22nd, 2013, 7:19pm, 0.999... wrote:
In my experience you turn the key in a different directions to lock it and unlock it. However, I would imagine there do exist locks which have to be turned in the opposite direction from other locks allowing the intended setup.

I've come across a lock that's "backwards" - it's even on a door with two locks, the other one turning the other way.
IP Logged
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Nov 23rd, 2013, 12:54pm »

It took you longer to break in heh?  Grin
IP Logged
riddler358

« Reply #4 on: Feb 20th, 2014, 2:27pm »

i think he would need pick lock at most 41 times in such case
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #5 on: Feb 21st, 2014, 5:33am »

If the thief knows that there are exactly 3 locks actually locked, then he has to try 20 combinations, and transitioning between two "adjacent" combinations takes 2 picks (one lock; one unlock).

Assuming there's a sequence that traverses all 20 combinations by two-pick transitions without repeating a combination (which seems probable - each combination has 9 neighbours, 9 two hops away and only 1 at distance three, with a lot of symmetry) then it's 38 picks to traverse the sequence, and 3 picks to reach the first one, so, yeah, 41 picks for that worst case if the assumption holds.

On the other hand, if the thief doesn't know how many of the locks are actually locked to start with, then there are 64 possibilities and it takes 63 picks to check them all.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »