wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Doin' the Dishes »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 17th, 2024, 5:15pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: Grimbal, Eigenray, towr, william wu, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, SMQ)
   Doin' the Dishes
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Doin' the Dishes  (Read 733 times)
rloginunix
Uberpuzzler

Doin' the Dishes  
« on: May 7th, 2015, 7:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Doin' the Dishes

I know that Grimbal would say "No, I am not" but let us imagine that you are doing the dishes which are stacked in your kitchen sink the Russian Matryoshka (nesting doll) style - a small salad bowl inside the larger one, which is inside the larger one, which is inside the larger one, etc. There are N such dishes where N is a reasonable positive integer.

1). You must wash them in the stacked order - you can only take one bowl off the top of the stack at any one time, starting from the smallest one.

2). After the dish is washed you can put it anywhere on the table next to your sink but once you let it go you cannot touch it again. You then shall proceed on to the next dish until all are done.

Following these rules is it possible to have the clean dishes arranged in the Matryoshka smaller-inside-the-larger style formation anyway?

If you think that it is possible then how can this be done?
IP Logged
gotit
Uberpuzzler

Email

Re: Doin' the Dishes  
« Reply #1 on: May 8th, 2015, 1:41am »

After cleaning a dish, keep it upside down on top of the previously washed dish, which is also turned upside down....
IP Logged

All signatures are false.
rloginunix
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: May 8th, 2015, 7:40am »

An answer that stacks up well against the intended one - you are correct.
IP Logged
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: May 14th, 2015, 7:30am »

on May 7th, 2015, 7:48pm, rloginunix wrote:
Let us imagine that you are doing the dishes

No, I'm not!  I'm never doing the dishes when I'm here.

Anyway, I would stack the bowls upside down in the sink And pile them up the usual way as I wash them.  Or my wife would mumble things about my mental sanity.
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #4 on: May 15th, 2015, 9:54am »

Cleaning a bowl is (at least) a two-stage process - there's the washing, and there's the drying. In between the two stages, it should be inverted so that the water runs off it rather than pooling within it...

After washing all the bowls, and then drying them, it's trivial to end up with the same stack you started with...
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »