wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - new york times problem solving test »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 1:52am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: towr, Icarus, Grimbal, Eigenray, william wu, ThudnBlunder, SMQ)
   new york times problem solving test
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: new york times problem solving test  (Read 1109 times)
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

new york times problem solving test  
« on: Aug 25th, 2015, 8:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Might be a bit too easy, but it's cute.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/07/03/upshot/a-quick-puzzle-to-t est-your-problem-solving.html
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
rloginunix
Uberpuzzler

Re: new york times problem solving test  
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25th, 2015, 9:45am »

The perils of finding a formula for a finite series ...

Being a C programmer guess what "the rule" I came up with when is saw 21, 22, 23.
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #2 on: Aug 25th, 2015, 11:25am »

The real trick is not so much figuring out a suitable rule, as figuring out ways to test potential rules...
IP Logged
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #3 on: Sep 1st, 2015, 6:56pm »

So, how many of us intentionally tried getting a "No" ? How many "No"s did you try to get before you were  satisfied with the 'rule' ?

IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #4 on: Sep 1st, 2015, 10:15pm »

I can't remember how many "no"s I tried for. But after the initial "successive powers of two" phase I did test for "geometric sequence", "anything goes", "strictly monotonically increasing", "weakly monotonically increasing", "strictly monotonic", "weakly monotonic".
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #5 on: Sep 2nd, 2015, 9:02am »

on Sep 1st, 2015, 6:56pm, JiNbOtAk wrote:
So, how many of us intentionally tried getting a "No" ? How many "No"s did you try to get before you were  satisfied with the 'rule' ?

It's been a while since I first came across it, but I got something like 4 "no"s before settling on "strictly increasing numbers" with a general approach of trying to find boundaries between "yes" and "no" rather than trying to get easy "yes"es
IP Logged
rloginunix
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Sep 2nd, 2015, 10:20am »

I've got at least 4 "no"s: tried reversing the sequence as 8, 4, 2. Then 3, 9, 27. Then 27, 9, 3. Then rearranging the numbers: 4, 8, 2 and 9, 27, 3 etc.

I think that on this forum you are dealing with, in general, a rather specific bunch: as a C(Java) Solaris/CentOS programmer I can say that codewise - especially the more you move away from the raw academic compsci code - before you get to a "yes" and return you step through a fair amount of "no"s and after a while it's in our blood.

My family sometimes calls me "doom and gloom". Well. It's not doom and gloom. If it can go wrong - it will. So it's error/edge/boundary conditions/special cases handling ...
IP Logged
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Sep 3rd, 2015, 7:19pm »

I did not start with what I should have, i.e. a global approach of searching yesses and nos.

Instead, I saw the pattern 2k and tried to generalize it.  I tried  a*2k  and  a*bk.  Only then I tried sequences that don't translate to a closed formula.

I quickly accepted "strictly increasing" because I realized the point of the exercise was best made with the simplest rule and monotonic was the simplest I could think of.  I checked whether it is strictly increasing or not.

One explanation of what happens would be that we are usually asked to recognize a sequence.  Once the idea of "powers of two" came to us, we have to first kill that idea before searching more globally.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »