wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - The Yin of Yang »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 16th, 2024, 9:27am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, towr, SMQ, Icarus, Grimbal, Eigenray, william wu)
   The Yin of Yang
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Yin of Yang  (Read 6718 times)
rloginunix
Uberpuzzler

The Yin of Yang  
« on: Aug 12th, 2016, 7:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The Yin of Yang

Divide the yin (or the yang) portion of the entire yin-yang symbol in half square area-wise.

(ignore the small dots)
IP Logged
dudiobugtron
Uberpuzzler

Re: The Yin of Yang  
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12th, 2016, 9:47pm »

This is a cool question. Smiley

Assuming I understand what 'square area-wise' means, here is my attempted solution:

The Yin/Yang symbol is made by first constructing a circle of radius r with centre (0,0).  Then, construct two smaller circles of raidus r/2, with centres (0,r/2) and (0,-r/2).  This divides the larger circle into 4 non-overlapping areas.  Choose the top circle the 'Yin' circle, and the bottom one the 'Yang' circle.  For the remaining two areas, call the left-most one the 'Yin' tail, and the other the 'Yang' tail.

The area of full circle is Pi*r^2
So the area of half of it is Pi*r^2 / 2
By symmetry with the Yang symbol, the total area of the Yin Circle and Yin tail must be Pi*r^2 / 2.
The area of the Yin circle is:
Pi*(r/2)^2 = Pi*r^2 / 4 = (Pi*r^2 / 2)/2

So the above construction also solves the problem.  The Yin circle and Yin tail are each half of the area of the Yin symbol.
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2016, 9:49pm by dudiobugtron » IP Logged
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Aug 12th, 2016, 11:42pm »

on Aug 12th, 2016, 7:07am, rloginunix wrote:

Divide the yin (or the yang) portion of the entire yin-yang symbol in half square area-wise.

I'm dividing nothing. Even though your riddle is well-intended I won't risk possibly offending William Wu. He is my dearest Chinese.
IP Logged

rloginunix
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13th, 2016, 9:29am »

You, guys, are on a problem-solving roll.

dudiobugtron - correct with a small asterisk since you suggested a, no pun intended, half of the solution. Your line that solves the problem is curved but not the only one.

PS
I hope that Mr. Wu recognizes that the only purpose of this problem is purely academic.
IP Logged
dudiobugtron
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Aug 13th, 2016, 1:41pm »

There are infinitely many lines that divide either symbol in half.  Other than my solution, I guess that the most interesting one would be:

...a straight line that divides both Yin and Yang in half.  This line would necessarily need to pass through (0,0) using my Yin/Yang symbol in the solution above.

The area of the right half of the Yin Symbol (in the first quadrant - positive x and y) is (Pi*r^2)/8.  This is half of the size that we need. the rest will come from the area of the sector between the y axis, and the line we are looking for.  Using the sector area formula, to get an area of (Pi*r^2)/8 this sector needs to be 1/8th of the size of the circle.  So the line that passes through (0,0) must be at an angle of 45 degrees, or Pi/4 radians, anticlockwise from the y-axis.  (Or, 135 degrees clockwise.)

By symmetry this line will also split the Yang symbol in half.

PS: I wasn't very rigorous in my 'construction' of the shapes in these answers - but hopefully you can see it would be easy to construct those 3 circles in my first answer, given a straight line (the y axis), a point on the line (0,0), and a length r.  It's also pretty easy to construct a 45 degree angle at that point in order to draw this new straight line.

(I am definitely interested to see if there is a general solution for all possible lines!)
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2016, 1:46pm by dudiobugtron » IP Logged
rloginunix
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Aug 14th, 2016, 9:43am »

Correct.

I thought that if the question were "... with one straight line" then it would be too easy and would exclude your first solution.

(as far as a generic solution, one has to be careful - it is possible to divide the region in question with 'zig-zag' lines - the ones that do not posses even the first derivative at the breakage point, similar to f(x)=|x|)
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »