wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Combination with partial repetition »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 11:20pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: Grimbal, Icarus, william wu, towr, SMQ, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray)
   Combination with partial repetition
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Combination with partial repetition  (Read 16337 times)
fatball
Senior Riddler

Can anyone help me think outside the box please?

Combination with partial repetition  
« on: Nov 7th, 2016, 1:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Can anyone help please?  

To start with, I am to pick 4 numbers out of 10 with repetition allowed; thus, there is a total of 10,000 possibilities.  What is the outcome if 2 out of the 4 picks are the same in any order please?

Thanks!!  

IP Logged
dudiobugtron
Uberpuzzler

Re: Combination with partial repetition  
« Reply #1 on: Nov 7th, 2016, 9:51pm »

Sounds like a question that came straight out of a text book or homework assignment.

If that's true, though, then either it is poorly worded, or you have changed the wording.  So we don't actually know what you want to work out.  Are you wanting to know the probability that at least 2 out of the 4 picks will be the same?
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #2 on: Nov 7th, 2016, 11:02pm »

Two out of four the same, sound to me like three different numbers and one extra equal to one of those first three. So ten choices for the first, nine for the second, eight for the third and three for the fourth. But intuition and probability don't always mesh, so always double check Tongue

[e]Funnily enough, you should indeed double, so good thing I checked. There is, after all, two ways to order the repeated number (I could have started from the other end).
Another way, first pick the repeat number, so ten choice for the first, 1 choice for the second (repeat of the first number), then 9 choices for third, and 8 choices for the last. And a 3 factorial multiplier (=6) for covering different orders.[/e]
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2016, 11:25pm by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
fatball
Senior Riddler

Can anyone help me think outside the box please?

« Reply #3 on: Nov 8th, 2016, 7:28am »

Dudiobugtron, it is not a textbook question but one of my own.  What I want to know is the distinct outcome based on my defined criteria.  

Towr, thanks and since your answer of 720 includes a permutation of the two non-identical numbers, I would say the distinct outcome would be 360 if order is not important.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »