wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Infinity »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 4:15pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: Icarus, Eigenray, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, towr, SMQ, william wu)
   Infinity
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Infinity  (Read 362 times)
alien2
Uberpuzzler

Infinity  
« on: Jan 26th, 2023, 3:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

1) How much is half of infinity? And in which country it lives?
2) If God, by giving a command in simulacrum, tears down a googol trees at random in a pine forest with an infinite number of trees, all at equal distances from adjacent trees, and then you’re teleported at random to this forest, of course, in another dimension similar to virtual reality and by creating your digital projection, what are the odds of stumbling right away at minimum one harvested tree?  
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2023, 4:11am by alien2 » IP Logged

rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

Re: Infinity  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26th, 2023, 9:28am »

1) Half of infinity is either still infinity, or something like "infi"

2) You'll have to be more specific about your randomness because you can't do a uniform distribution over an infinite range - you get a divide-by-infinity error.
IP Logged
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Jan 27th, 2023, 1:33am »

1. Right on both counts, more or less. The intended answer is cast in the same mold; perhaps You can infer it, which in addition suggests in which country a part of infinity lives.

2. Perhaps you can assist me with that. How about a pine forest with a googol number of trees, each at equal distance from adjacent trees, and ten trees are torn down at random?  
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2023, 4:12am by alien2 » IP Logged

rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Jan 27th, 2023, 8:56am »

on Jan 27th, 2023, 1:33am, alien2 wrote:
2. Perhaps you can assist me with that. How about a pine forest with a googol number of trees, each at equal distance from adjacent trees, and ten trees are torn down at random?  

That gives you something you can work with. The next question is what counts for "stumbling right away" - the chance of the closest tree being one of the ten picked trees is 10/googol or 10-99, but the more trees you count as in range for being stumbled upon, the better your chances. Technically, the precise probability will need to account for the possibility of having multiple trees in range which reduces the probability of having any slightly, but you can get an excellent approximation for any reasonable number of trees in range (say fewer than 10^20) by just multiplying 10-99 by the number of trees in range.
IP Logged
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Jan 27th, 2023, 2:25pm »

on Jan 27th, 2023, 8:56am, rmsgrey wrote:

(...) but you can get an excellent approximation for any reasonable number of trees in range (say fewer than 10^20) by just multiplying 10-99 by the number of trees in range.

I think I'll go with that (math is not my strong suit). I reckon You are 100% sure there is no way to randomize the harvested trees when infinity has a role. Oh well.  
IP Logged

rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Jan 28th, 2023, 6:13am »

on Jan 27th, 2023, 2:25pm, alien2 wrote:

I think I'll go with that (math is not my strong suit). I reckon You are 100% sure there is no way to randomize the harvested trees when infinity has a role. Oh well.  

There are ways to randomise them, just not ways that give every tree an equal chance of being picked.  

The probability distribution has to sum to 1, but for any probability greater than 0, e, no matter how small, there's a finite number of trees, N, where e*N>1. And infinitely many trees will make the total infinite. If the probability for each tree is 0, then the sum of all the probabilities is stuck at 0, and you still don't get a valid distribution.

To achieve a total of 1, you need to have some trees with higher, and some with lower probabilities.
IP Logged
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29th, 2023, 8:44am »

Any ideas for the 2nd part of the 1st question? The answer is a bit witty to me.
IP Logged

rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Jan 30th, 2023, 2:21am »

on Jan 29th, 2023, 8:44am, alien2 wrote:
Any ideas for the 2nd part of the 1st question? The answer is a bit witty to me.

Well, the two letter country code for Finland is FI, so...

Though you may be thinking of Italy's IT.
IP Logged
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Jan 30th, 2023, 2:49am »

Your modesty is excused, it is very human. And since You are extremely close, or too kind to give away the expected answer, which is cast in the same mold, I'll do a terrible thing and convey the answer I had in mind: "Finn". So Finland it is. What say You? Any inconsistencies, illogical dimensions? I've moments of clarity, thus at times I need reassurance.
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2023, 2:50am by alien2 » IP Logged

rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: Jan 31st, 2023, 8:52am »

on Jan 30th, 2023, 2:49am, alien2 wrote:
Your modesty is excused, it is very human. And since You are extremely close, or too kind to give away the expected answer, which is cast in the same mold, I'll do a terrible thing and convey the answer I had in mind: "Finn". So Finland it is. What say You? Any inconsistencies, illogical dimensions? I've moments of clarity, thus at times I need reassurance.

I was thinking that half of "infinity" is "in FI".

My minor niggle with your "Finn" solution is that it requires you to not only discard half the letters, but also discard the ordering of the letters - if you keep the relative order, depending on which 'i' you keep, you end up with "infn", "nfin" or "nfni". "In FI" works with the most natural split - "infi"/"nity". Italy comes from a slightly less good "inf"/"init"/"y"
IP Logged
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Jan 31st, 2023, 9:07am »

I like Your idea! It's better than the expected answer.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »