wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - New: Efficient use of Lines to make Points in 3D »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 1:10am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: william wu, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, towr, Eigenray, Icarus, SMQ)
   New: Efficient use of Lines to make Points in 3D
« Previous topic | No topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New: Efficient use of Lines to make Points in 3D  (Read 1145 times)
jmlyle

New: Efficient use of Lines to make Points in 3D  
« on: Jul 29th, 2002, 10:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sorry, I couldn't really find a better place to put this. I'm sure the esteemed willywu will move it if he deems appropriate.

Okay. I've been puzzling over this for a few years. I want to define multiple points in 3D space. I'm using lasers. The intersection of two Lasers (lines) in the general 3D work space is a Point.  

Think of Points as valuable, and Lasers as expensive.

I want to determine how to most efficiently use the Lasers to define the Points. What kind of structure evolves as the number of Points increases?

2D space seems to be the same as 3D for the first 5 Points or so. After that, 3D space would begin to form crystaline structures, I would assume.

A Point is where 2 Lasers intersect

Points | Minimum # of Lasers
-------|--------------------
   1   |  2
   2   |  3
   3   |  3
   4   |  4
   5   |  4

How can I best use the Lasers to create Points? How many Lasers do I need for N Points?

And, just for fun, What would happen if we decided that we need a Point to be defined by the intersection of THREE lines, instead of two?

--jmlyle
IP Logged
Aleksi Liimatainen

Email

Re: New: Efficient use of Lines to make Points in  
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30th, 2002, 1:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

It would seem to me that you would always get the most points with a 2d configuration: two straight lines can't intersect more than once, and two nonparallel lines on a plane will always intersect.

So you just need to place each successive laser so that it intersects all the already placed lasers. This should be trivial if no constraints are placed on the orientation and placement of the lasers. It also follows that each new laser N would add one new intersection for all N-1 lasers already in place, which would make the maximum number of points for N lasers a sum from 0 to N-1.
IP Logged
Neil Sedaka

Email

Re: New: Efficient use of Lines to make Points in  
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31st, 2002, 2:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
Think of Points as valuable, and Lasers as expensive.

Ok.

Now...

Think of MIRRORS as CHEAP.

Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | No topic »