wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Who's who? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 4:10am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, Icarus, SMQ, towr, Grimbal, william wu, Eigenray)
   Who's who?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Who's who?  (Read 262517 times)
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Who's who?  
« Reply #125 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 12:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 12th, 2007, 10:48pm, Sameer wrote:
Hmmm I just noticed something weird.. Grimbal "the newbie" is the mod and not Grimbal "the UberPuzzler"  Wink

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?action=viewprofil e;username=Grimbal

and

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?action=viewprofil e;username=grimbal
I wonder if that was a conscious choice or a mistake on William's part.
It's not a bad idea to have a separate moderating account though; it prevents embarrassing mistakes where you modify someone's post instead of quoting it.  

And we also have Eigenray as new mod in putnam, and Thud in hard.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #126 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 1:31am »

on Aug 13th, 2007, 12:43am, towr wrote:
And we also have Eigenray as new mod in putnam, and Thud in hard.

Good call on those !!  Grin
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #127 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 3:49am »

The assignment of moderators to boards isn't definite yet. William is just a bit worried that too many names under every board name is unwieldy and confusing.
IP Logged

mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

A rich man is one who is content; not wealthy.

« Reply #128 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 3:58am »

True, i find have found it a little daunting when the mod names have gone over to the next line.

If your not having this problem, it must be my resolution.
IP Logged

"It's not that I'm correct, it's that you're just not correct, and so; I am right." - M.P.E.
mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #129 on: Aug 25th, 2007, 9:46pm »

Hehe, I just took the IQ test that was recommended, and I did better on that then on the one I did when I was younger. Come to think of it, I did another when i was even younger. So averaging the results I got a 158. Hooray, I look smart.

And I just learnt how to solve a 2*2*2 Rubiks Cube (Pocket Cube) off by heart. I'll be able to do blindfolded pretty soon. It's a sweet party trick.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2007, 5:38am by mikedagr8 » IP Logged

"It's not that I'm correct, it's that you're just not correct, and so; I am right." - M.P.E.
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #130 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 2:47pm »

on Aug 25th, 2007, 9:46pm, mikedagr8 wrote:
Hooray, I look smart.

Please recommend a good tailor.  
IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #131 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 2:59pm »

ROFL, I meant in the non-visual, act-cool-and-get-lucky approach, not my actual appearance. Although I do look nice in my school uniform. Off to school for me now.
IP Logged

denis
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #132 on: Oct 6th, 2007, 11:42am »

Well, I have been here close to 10 months without having properly introduced myself.  

My first name is my handle (Denis). I am 47 years old from Ottawa, Canada. I graduated with a Bachelors In Mathematics (Applied Math) with a minor in Computer Science. Since graduation I work in the IT field in a University.  

Obviously, I like the "what happened" riddles since I have a bit of success with them. I also like the math riddles but they usually get solved before I can figure them out.  

Great site! Many thanks to all the mods and to William.
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2007, 2:41pm by denis » IP Logged
gotit
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #133 on: Oct 6th, 2007, 1:47pm »

Hi guys,
My name is Samrat Mitra and I am from India. I am 24 years old and a student of computer science in Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee. I came to know about this site from my seniors, and I must say, this site is simply awesome. I am a regular visitor of the "what happened" and "cs" sections.

Thanks to William for this great site.
IP Logged

All signatures are false.
Ghost Sniper
Senior Riddler

Do not hide. It is useless.

« Reply #134 on: Oct 10th, 2007, 11:40am »

Ok. I've been here awhile and I haven't introduced myself yet, so I might as well do it now.

My name is Chris Song, and I was born in Tianjin, China. When I was about 7, I moved to Ottawa, Canada (Yes, where denis lives). Now, I live in Erie, Pennsylvania. I am 14 years old and currently a sophomore at Northwest Pennsylvania Collegiate Academy. I plan to attend Carnegie Mellon (assuming I can get accepted) once I graduate from high school, and most likely major in CS and minor in piano. My favorite sections are the"What happened" and "truth" sections.  Grin

Well, the people here are nice, and I love a good challenge, although I can't solve most math riddles since I just started taking Precalc.  Tongue
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2007, 11:42am by Ghost Sniper » IP Logged

*sob* I miss my mommy... *blows nose* huh, I'm on? oh right.

(thinks to self) Time for my speech to these college kids.

"Reason is more important than all emotions..."
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #135 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 6:00am »

on Oct 10th, 2007, 11:40am, Ghost Sniper wrote:
I plan to attend Carnegie Mellon (assuming I can get accepted) once I graduate from high school, and most likely major in CS and minor in piano.

I used to play piano as well. ShockedNow I write riddles. So, are you happy, or unhappy, that I stopped playing the piano and start writing riddles? A tough one, eh? Perhaps not.   Roll Eyes  Tongue
IP Logged

Ghost Sniper
Senior Riddler

Do not hide. It is useless.

« Reply #136 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 2:57pm »

on Oct 16th, 2007, 6:00am, Iceman wrote:

I used to play piano as well. ShockedNow I write riddles. So, are you happy, or unhappy, that I stopped playing the piano and start writing riddles? A tough one, eh? Perhaps not.   Roll Eyes  Tongue

Nice. I totally support your decision, since writing riddles is obviously your passion, but my passions are computers and piano, and I plan to use those two skills to feed me and my family someday.  Tongue
IP Logged

*sob* I miss my mommy... *blows nose* huh, I'm on? oh right.

(thinks to self) Time for my speech to these college kids.

"Reason is more important than all emotions..."
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #137 on: Nov 14th, 2007, 5:51am »

Thanks for the support, which is mutual, even though riddles represent a nonprofit hobby of mine.  

on Apr 16th, 2006, 10:36pm, pinkcat wrote:
Pleased to 'meet' you all Wink

If you want to meet me in person, or should I say, if you want to meet my meat, just send me a personal message, baby. I'll fly to Western Australia as Super-Penguin. There will be tender but brief foreplay. Then there will be long lasting sparks. There will be loud sounds and broken king-sized beds. And then, I will awake, see my mother, and realize that I was only dreaming. Aw..
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2008, 5:04am by alien2 » IP Logged

Azgard
Senior Riddler

Just gonna drive around the planet, check it out.

« Reply #138 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 9:34pm »

I have been reminded to make a post here in the Who's Who section. I suppose I should have looked for one sooner and introduced myself, instead of just barging into your forum to answer riddles and be overwhelmed by the knowledge of mathematics that some have here.

So, I am Azgard (nah... really?) I am just finishing up a double honours major degree in Family Studies and Psychology, and hoping that sometime this month I will here from a teaching institute or two saying that they like me enough to let me in. My favourite course that I am in this year, however, is conceptual physics.

I am a fan of science fiction, especially of Stargate (both SG-1 and Atlantis) and StarTrek (pick a series, I probably like it).

I love camping and the outdoors, hiking, archery, and have crewed on balloons at a couple balloon festivals! I have worked at camps, and currently work (although not volunteer, too busy to do both) at Scouts Canada.

I came across this site while doing some research for a psychology study, and then spent the rest of the night here... I must admit, it is becoming quite an addiction... Wink

I particularly enjoy the "what happened" and "what am I" riddles, not being as advanced in math as appears to be a prerequisite for many of the riddles on the site.  

You may be thinking to yourself that I have not yet mentioned my age or my sex. This is intentional. It is not a security measure, I merely thought it might be interesting to go a while here and see what people think of me not knowing my gender or age. Any guesses would be welcome, either public or IM. I will tell you that I am Canadian, from south western Ontario even. But that is all.

Glad to have met everyone and hope to have fun riddling for a long time!

Live long and prosper! Cheesy
IP Logged

Lots of opportunities are missed because they come dressed in overalls and look like work.
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #139 on: Apr 2nd, 2008, 1:15am »

on Apr 1st, 2008, 9:34pm, Azgard wrote:
I suppose I should have looked for one sooner and introduced myself, instead of just barging into your forum to answer riddles and be overwhelmed by the knowledge of mathematics that some have here.
I think I still haven't introduced myself; I've kept on barging for the last five and a half years Wink

Quote:
You may be thinking to yourself that I have not yet mentioned my age or my sex. This is intentional. It is not a security measure, I merely thought it might be interesting to go a while here and see what people think of me not knowing my gender or age. Any guesses would be welcome, either public or IM. I will tell you that I am Canadian, from south western Ontario even. But that is all.
Well, you're finishing up a degree, so that would put the expected age at around 22 or 23.  
Guessing sex is trickier; because on the one hand the name, and the love for sci-fi suggests maleness with some probability, but on the other hand, if I take our own psychology department as representative, that suggests a high a priori probability of being female. I suppose we can chalk one more up for maleness from the rapid addiction to this site Wink
I suppose it could go either way; but my default assumption online is male unless the name suggests otherwise.
IP Logged

JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #140 on: Apr 2nd, 2008, 2:08am »

I came across this site while doing some research for a psychology study, and then spent the rest of the night here... I must admit, it is becoming quite an addiction... Wink

Wait for a couple more years, the addiction would definitely intensify.  Tongue

I particularly enjoy the "what happened" and "what am I" riddles, not being as advanced in math as appears to be a prerequisite for many of the riddles on the site.

Well, most of the time I can't understand a thing these guys are saying, that didn't stop me from yapping whenever I had the chance.  Grin

on Apr 2nd, 2008, 1:15am, towr wrote:
I think I still haven't introduced myself; I've kept on barging for the last five and a half years Wink

No, you just uploaded your final year paper for us to browse through.  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #141 on: Apr 2nd, 2008, 2:37am »

on Apr 2nd, 2008, 2:08am, JiNbOtAk wrote:
No, you just uploaded your final year paper for us to browse through.  Roll Eyes
Yeah, but not as an introduction; and it doesn't tell that much about me personally either.
The one I plan to finish this year should prove to be more interesting though. (Shorter too; since it's just a bachelor's thesis.)
IP Logged

ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

"Double click on 'Yes'... Hey!"

« Reply #142 on: Apr 2nd, 2008, 7:57am »

I suppose we can chalk one more up for maleness from the rapid addiction to this site Wink

uh huh... then what exactly does that make me? Roll Eyes
IP Logged

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -Churchill
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #143 on: Apr 2nd, 2008, 8:23am »

on Apr 2nd, 2008, 7:57am, ima1trkpny wrote:
uh huh... then what exactly does that make me? Roll Eyes
Exceptional Wink
It's just folk-statistics; men are more likely to have an addictive personality* than women. That doesn't in the slightest imply that no women have addictive personalities; just that the proportions are skewed.  
If I knew Azgard to have long hair, I'd add a point to the female-hypothesis; even though I know quite a few guys with long hair as well. It's just that there's an overwhelming number of long-haired women in comparison.

*) in the sense of being prone to get addicted; not the sense of having people get addicted to their personality (I don't know either way about the latter.)
IP Logged

ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

"Double click on 'Yes'... Hey!"

« Reply #144 on: Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:46pm »

on Apr 2nd, 2008, 8:23am, towr wrote:

Exceptional Wink

Oh... nice save Cool
I was just teasing you, Towr... I know what you meant and all we have to do is look at the composition of regular forum posters we have here. As for myself, it's kind of fun being a minority in certain circumstances Wink There are lots of benefits too as men tend to be less dramatic (usually) and what woman doesn't like being surrounded by guys? Roll Eyes

Ok, and since I'm guilt tripping a bit about not having added anything to Who's Who... here goes:
I've always had fun with riddles, word puzzles, and especially cryptograms whenever I come across them so that's how I ended up finding this site (thank you google)  
Outside this forum I have a rather diverse range of interests (really too many to list... much faster to list what I don't like) and enjoy reading, listening to music, sports, my equestrian pursuits, etc. For work, I'm an engineer with emphasis being on hydrodynamics and propulsion but I tend to dabble in lots of things.
Native Californian, 5'9" blonde with blue eyes and age somewhere between mikey and Sameer.
IP Logged

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -Churchill
Azgard
Senior Riddler

« Reply #145 on: Apr 2nd, 2008, 7:27pm »

Well, you're finishing up a degree, so that would put the expected age at around 22 or 23.

There are many mature students in my field, being in university does not necessarily mean that I have come straight from high school.

I suppose it could go either way; but my default assumption online is male unless the name suggests otherwise.

The name is a borrowed and personalized version of a highly advanced species known as the Asguard. They are benevolent, allies of Earth, and so highly advanced that they clone themselves and insert their minds into their new bodies instead of reproducing the old fashion way like we still do here on earth. The Asguard are asexual.  

I could ramble on for a while about the Asguard and anything else Stargate related, but I will stop myself here and go post a new riddle in the what am I section.
IP Logged

Lots of opportunities are missed because they come dressed in overalls and look like work.
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #146 on: Apr 2nd, 2008, 11:29pm »

on Apr 2nd, 2008, 7:27pm, Azgard wrote:
There are many mature students in my field, being in university does not necessarily mean that I have come straight from high school.
It's a matter of probability, not necessity. I know students over the age of 50; there's actually quite a few in our philosophy department, but most are considerably younger. And on the other hand there's always that small change you're an utter genius and entered university at 12.

Quote:
The name is a borrowed and personalized version of a highly advanced species known as the Asguard.
I know; and the name is taken from Norse mythology, where it's the homeland of the Aesir (the norse gods). (I'm sure you've noticed stargate involves a lot of mythology; although it's a bit disappointing nearly all pantheons are hi-jacked by the goa'uld, and only the norse are a different race).
I wish they hadn't stopped airing it here.
In any case, it doesn't change the fact it sounds more male than female to me; at best it would be neutral.

Quote:
and so highly advanced that they clone themselves and insert their minds into their new bodies instead of reproducing the old fashion way
And we've seen how well that works out; cellular degradation due to recloning threatens the survival of their race. Tongue
IP Logged

Azgard
Senior Riddler

« Reply #147 on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 6:50am »

on Apr 2nd, 2008, 11:29pm, towr wrote:

And on the other hand there's always that small change you're an utter genius and entered university at 12.

True, but do I sound like a genius to you? Tongue

I wish they hadn't stopped airing it here.

I know the Stargate SG-1 series is over, but they don't even run the reruns for you? How do you survive?

And we've seen how well that works out; cellular degradation due to recloning threatens the survival of their race. Tongue

Actually, it is because of the recloning that has gone on for such a long time on the Asgard homeworld that they are now extinct. They blew themselves up to so they could go out on their own terms.
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2008, 6:51am by Azgard » IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #148 on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 7:16am »

on Apr 3rd, 2008, 6:50am, Azgard wrote:
I know the Stargate SG-1 series is over, but they don't even run the reruns for you?
I haven't even seen the last season of it.
For some obscure reason they stopped airing any sci-fi at all. No battlestar galactica anymore either. It's pretty dead on the TV front here overall, to be honest.

Hmm, well, Dr Who's starting up at the BBC again this saturday, if I'm not mistaken, so that should be good. Good thing we get foreign channels here, because apparently we can't count on our own broadcasting groups.

Quote:
How do you survive?
Lots of anime and webcomics Wink
IP Logged

Random Lack of Squiggily Lines
Senior Riddler

Everything before 7/1/2008 is now irrelevant.

« Reply #149 on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 5:47pm »

Ive decided to give a picture of me( or tried)
http://www.blizzard.net/images/battle/diablo2exp/images/animations/besti ary/act5/baalminion-opt.gif
and i read what you said.

but no one cares anymore.
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2008, 5:48pm by Random Lack of Squiggily Lines » IP Logged

You can only believe i what you can prove, and since you have nothing proven to cmpare to, you can believe in nothing.

I have ~50 posts to hack a "R" into a "D". Which one?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »