wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - what we do »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:51am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: Icarus, william wu, SMQ, ThudnBlunder, towr, Eigenray, Grimbal)
   what we do
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: what we do  (Read 113834 times)
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

Re: what we do  
« Reply #50 on: Sep 22nd, 2003, 9:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Sep 22nd, 2003, 8:19am, towr wrote:
I simply watched BBC, and Sky Channel.

We (=my parents) didn't have cable TV for quite a long time...

Quote:
The problem with books/newspapers, is that you have to understand some of the language to read it (or a dictionary), moreso you have to be able to read. For some reason kids aren't taught to read anything untill their language-learning-peak has passed.

Are your sure this peak occurs that early? Or are you in the Netherlands taught to read a little later than elsewhere? Wink

Quote:
And of course you can't hear how to pronounce words from newspapers and books :p (espescially not in english).

That's right, but it does help your spelling. Roll Eyes
Anyway, I was referring to progress after learning the basics like reading and pronunciation. Well, more or less of the latter, in the case of English. Other languages are much more reader-friendly.

Quote:
I allways thought it a shame that they seem to dub everything in Germany.

I have to wholeheartedly agree with that. Cry

Quote:
I like subtitles, and the original script and voices.

Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2003, 9:16am by wowbagger » IP Logged

"You're a jerk, <your surname>!"
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #51 on: Sep 22nd, 2003, 10:07am »

on Sep 22nd, 2003, 9:15am, wowbagger wrote:
Are your sure this peak occurs that early? Or are you in the Netherlands taught to read a little later than elsewhere? Wink
I'm pretty sure it's very early, around the same time a child learns its language Tongue
I think the real peak is around 3 or 4, but it'll linger a bit. But basicly the earlier you start, the better and easier it is to learn.  
Actually, to get the pronounciation just right, you need to hear a language before you're even three months old, after that you'll stop distinguishing phonemes that aren't important in your language. It's very hard to relearn making such distinctions.
There is ofcourse a big BUT if you're thinking about teaching your kids multiple languages this way. If you're not carefull they may not distinguish the different languages, and speak a pingin version no one but their siblings can understand. So I think it's important to keep it structured, so they can learn that there is a difference from the context (f.i. which day, which time, which place)
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
hiv

Email

« Reply #52 on: Sep 22nd, 2003, 10:22am »

Wow sorry I didnt mean to stir up such a great controversy. What I had felt the poll implied was what you are doing in the majority of your time now. Since most of my time is spent in high school (sadly enough) I didn't want to vote for Computer Science, the work which I do in my spare time and on weekends

I like these forums a lot, people are so intelligent here. I had been reading around for several months and I finally decided to post once. Well, thanks for your replies
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #53 on: Sep 22nd, 2003, 6:51pm »

Glad to have you with us, hiv. Feel free to post anyplace you disagree/have questions/just feel like posting. We may quickly jump in to "put it straight", but everyone who is a regular here appreciates an honest post by someone who is simply trying to figure it out, even if the post is wrong.

This is no real controversy. Towr & I will continue to have differing opinions on many things, and air them regularly. But even when we disagree, we still respect each other (at least I do, and hope he does! Wink).

on Sep 22nd, 2003, 7:29am, wowbagger wrote:

I didn't know there are such language requirements. Is that common in the USA?

Well - I can't speak for every university, but it is my impression that the ability to translate mathematical papers in at least two of French, German, and Russian is a minimum requirement of most doctoral programs in the US. Possibly this may have been relaxed since there are now programs that will do the basic translation for you. (Yes, I know they do a terrible job, but then, so did I when I was attempting it! Cheesy)

Concerning cartoons - Americans are finally getting our come-uppence with the popularity of Anime. Now, we too get to watch badly dubbed versions of foreign cartoons. And I know of no place where they are shown in the original language with subtitles.

Quote:
O tempora! O mores! Wink

Help me out here: "O time! O habits!" ??
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2003, 6:53pm by Icarus » IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #54 on: Sep 23rd, 2003, 12:31am »

on Sep 22nd, 2003, 6:51pm, Icarus wrote:

This is no real controversy. Towr & I will continue to have differing opinions on many things, and air them regularly. But even when we disagree, we still respect each other (at least I do, and hope he does! Wink).
indeed.  
It's hard to discuss anything properly without mutual respect, without that it's likely to turn into a flamewar. If I didn't respect the other regulars I would have left the board long ago.

Quote:
Concerning cartoons - Americans are finally getting our come-uppence with the popularity of Anime. Now, we too get to watch badly dubbed versions of foreign cartoons. And I know of no place where they are shown in the original language with subtitles.
Well, there's the internet. Generally fansubbed (subtitled by fans), but nonetheless pretty well translated. I think you can also order them as DVD, considering it's not entirely legal to download them. (Though given the image quality of downloadable versions, you'd have to buy the DVD to get a full appreciation of it.)
Actually, I think some of those shows can only be fun if they are badly dubbed. Of course I suspect they dub them here from the english version, which makes the overall translation even worse Tongue and consequently funnier.
The real problem anime faces in the west is the dumbing down, people here in the west seem to think cartoons are only for kids. While every sane person knows they're really for (university) students Wink
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

« Reply #55 on: Sep 23rd, 2003, 3:04am »

"o tempora! o mores!"
The 'o' is used as an utterance of despair, as in, "Alas! Woe!". So it translates, "Oh, for the times! Oh, for the things we do (customs/morals/behaviour)!"; in other words, "What have we done?!"
IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

« Reply #56 on: Sep 23rd, 2003, 4:29am »

everyone who is a regular here appreciates an honest post by someone who is simply trying to figure it out, even if the post is wrong.

Very true, according to my experience.

Quote:
This is no real controversy. Towr & I will continue to have differing opinions on many things, and air them regularly.

Which is not only delightful, but also thought-provoking for others. Smiley

Quote:
Well - I can't speak for every university, but it is my impression that the ability to translate mathematical papers in at least two of French, German, and Russian is a minimum requirement of most doctoral programs in the US.

That really surprises me. I don't know of any comparable official requirement here in Germany (for physics). But then again, if you don't understand papers in English, you're very limited in your studies anyway.

Quote:
Possibly this may have been relaxed since there are now programs that will do the basic translation for you. (Yes, I know they do a terrible job, but then, so did I when I was attempting it! Cheesy)

Grin

Quote:

I once found one by chance while switching channels. It was on a German cable channel and Japanese, as far as I could tell (the sound, not the subtitles Wink). I listened for a few minutes because I like to hear different languages, but I'm not very interested in Anime, so I soon quit. They regularly showed such films (rather late at night) for a while, but don't do so any longer.

on Sep 23rd, 2003, 12:31am, towr wrote:
The real problem anime faces in the west is the dumbing down, people here in the west seem to think cartoons are only for kids. While every sane person knows they're really for (university) students Wink

Actually, it took quite a while until the German station that airs the Simpsons moved it from a typical children's cartoon time and day to a more adult-friendly place on their schedule. Cheesy

on Sep 23rd, 2003, 3:04am, Sir Col wrote:

"o tempora! o mores!"
The 'o' is used as an utterance of despair, as in, "Alas! Woe!". So it translates, "Oh, for the times! Oh, for the things we do (customs/morals/behaviour)!"; in other words, "What have we done?!"

Originally by Marcus Tullius Cicero (from his first speech against Catilina). Actually, I can't really judge Sir Col's translation of "mores", because I haven't learned Latin (yet).
But not really knowing what I'm saying hasn't ever kept me from posting... Cheesy
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2003, 4:34am by wowbagger » IP Logged

Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #57 on: Sep 23rd, 2003, 5:12am »

on Sep 23rd, 2003, 4:29am, wowbagger wrote:
Actually, I can't really judge Sir Col's translation

pertinax simia, experto credite! Tongue
::cheeky monkey, trust the expert!::

Actually, I am no expert. My Latin is restricted to liturgy and a working knowledge of the basic grammar; so I'm able to use a lexicon to decipher, but not necessarily construct, Latin.
IP Logged

wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

« Reply #58 on: Sep 23rd, 2003, 5:52am »

on Sep 23rd, 2003, 5:12am, Sir Col wrote:

pertinax simia, experto credite! Tongue

I will (have to). See, I can't even answer that in Latin. Cry
Well, I could ask two friends of mine who both did quite well at school, but it'd take time and I have to post quickly now in order to catch up with T&B! Wink

Quote:
Actually, I am no expert. My Latin is restricted to liturgy and a working knowledge of the basic grammar; so I'm able to use a lexicon to decipher, but not necessarily construct, Latin.

Which is to say that in comparison with me, you can be called an expert.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2003, 5:55am by wowbagger » IP Logged

Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #59 on: Sep 23rd, 2003, 7:31pm »

I should clarify that translating papers into English from at least 2 of French, German, and Russian, is a requirement for Mathematics doctoral programs. Probably Physics as well, but in other areas, the particular languages most needed may be different. Or they may not see the need for a language requirement at all. (For instance - some of the more "amerocentric" fields in the Humanities may not have a large body of foreign literature to draw on.)

"pertinax simia, experto credite!" - It's tempting to change my signature again! Wink
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #60 on: Sep 24th, 2003, 9:33am »

Actually I should have thought more carefully about that Latin phrase. The 2nd half is sound, but I would say that 'impudens simia' is more fitting for the 1st part. Pertinax, means rude in the obstinate/stubborn sense, whereas, impudens, means something more akin to impudent, insolent, presumptuous, cheeky. That's the problem with trying to Latinise modern expressions; especially when my ability to construct is lacking.
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2005, 4:23am by Sir Col » IP Logged

John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

Behold, the power of cheese!

5187759 5187759   john23874   SnowmanJTG
WWW Email

« Reply #61 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 2:03pm »

I am in the U.S. Air Force (military), my job is computer programming (info tech), and I am a Staff Sergeant (management).

I think it would be better, given the amount of computer professionals here, to separate "info tech" into programming, computer/network administration, and maybe a general IT category.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2004, 8:51am by John_Gaughan » IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
Aurora

« Reply #62 on: Jun 18th, 2007, 9:32am »

// preceding post by Jan-A removed for spam. --towr

I know it's a couple of months since the last post, but Jan-A, you're over 3 years too late. Please look at the date of the last post!
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2012, 6:26am by towr » IP Logged

"In these days, a man who says a thing cannot be done is quite apt to be interrupted by some idiot doing it."- Elbert Green Hubbard
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #63 on: Jun 18th, 2007, 3:25pm »

I'm not sure if Jan-A is a real person, Aurora. It's likely to be a cheap trick to get publicity in search engines for his/her website. All he/she does is add the company URL to the signature and make a series of random comments on a popular forum, such as this, and leave the search engine bots to index the links.

Of course if we were to make general references about crap hosting services it might accidently appear in the same search results.

However, I would like to make it clear that I am in no way linking directly or otherwise webhosting.uk.com with any negative comments that I might make in this post as I've never heard of them.

Problems we encounter with dodgy hosting services include massive downtime, poor or non-existant customer support, inadequate storage, low bandwidth, and excessive charges and as I've never heard of webhosting.uk.com I am in no position to suggest that any of these undesirable issues are associated with them.

But can I make it clear that I am in no way linking directly or otherwise webhosting.uk.com with any negative comments that I might make in this post as I've never heard of them. My greatest concern now is that the negative comments I have made might appear in someone's search results for webhosting.uk.com. It certainly wouldn't be helpful for them if someone typed webhosting.uk.com in a search engine and in the brief outline of the search results words like, rubbish, crap, don't use them, rip you off, might appear, as I've never heard of them. In fact, comments like, "I've never heard of them" might also appear and that wouldn't inspire much confidence. Oops. Perhaps I'd better stop.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2007, 3:43pm by Sir Col » IP Logged

Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #64 on: Jun 18th, 2007, 3:33pm »

I can't delete posts. It's returning the following error when I click "Remove" and click "OK".

Method Not Implemented

GET to /~wwu/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi not supported.

Delete now works again.  Cool
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2007, 1:17pm by Sir Col » IP Logged

JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #65 on: Jun 20th, 2007, 12:04am »

Do what Grimbal did, just delete everything and put a POST REMOVE sign  Tongue
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #66 on: Jun 20th, 2007, 3:13am »

Yep.  Usually, when I want to correct a post I just wrote, I get back, re-submit it and delete the first version.  It looks cleaner.  But since removing a post is not possible any more, I was stuck with 2 very similar posts.  I had no choice.  Sad
IP Logged
fizyka

Physics&Informa tics <3

« Reply #67 on: Oct 1st, 2011, 4:43am »

I am in information technology and in physics  Tongue
IP Logged

fizyka , karta wzorów fizyka , książki z fizyki
khuram4u

« Reply #68 on: Dec 25th, 2011, 1:40am »

at present times, Jobs, careers, SEO and web developments are the most desired niche. Consider them for inclusion.
IP Logged
JanClaesen

« Reply #69 on: May 2nd, 2012, 1:39pm »

I'd say zero is like a seed, it doesn't have any branches, but it can grow. A seed is not the same as no seed at all.

I don't do anything, but I could do something.

I am referencing to the discussion started by reply #12.

P.S. : This is not how I normally introduce myself.
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2012, 2:05pm by JanClaesen » IP Logged
venkatsha

Save planet from pollution!

« Reply #70 on: May 1st, 2013, 8:25am »

I'm into Information Technology. Please add in.
IP Logged
CatherinJose

« Reply #71 on: Oct 18th, 2013, 4:16am »

Hi

I am new to this forum.I m saying  about  online education.E learning play an important role in our daily life.E learning is a self paced independent  mode of studying.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »