wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Attention Writers »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 4:45am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: Eigenray, william wu, SMQ, Grimbal, towr, Icarus, ThudnBlunder)
   Attention Writers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Attention Writers  (Read 848 times)
maryl

Email

Attention Writers  
« on: Sep 30th, 2003, 10:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

This is for any other writers, poets out there. According to the poll there are at least fifteen of you, (OK,-fourteen, forgot about me there for a sec.) I need your opinion on something.
What do you think of these huge publishing houses in New York and the U.K. etc. who want to publish your poetry in their quarterly issues, yet they don't pay you a cent, and infact make money off of your work. Everything is still copyrighted in my name. Should I do it for the exposure or just forget about it. What's your slant on this?
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2003, 2:46pm by maryl » IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

Re: Attention Writers  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30th, 2003, 10:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Go for the exposure. After all, hundreds of years from now, some young student will be researching early 21st century poetry and will open this book and find your work causing an epiphany of the young students heart, forever changing her life and thus the future of the world.  

Okay, so they are not throwing cash at you, at least they are not asking you to pay them.
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
maryl

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 1st, 2003, 11:52am »

Thanks Speaker, I guess you have a point. I actually sat down and wrote some today.
IP Logged
maryl

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:31am »

on Sep 30th, 2003, 10:35pm, Speaker wrote:

Okay, so they are not throwing cash at you, at least they are not asking you to pay them.

Did some research on these internet publishers; I knew I smelt a rat somewhere. Turns out there is one who claims to be in N.Y. and the U.K. which is a bogus organization set up to get people to wire them money for crap in return, while on the other hand there is a legitimate one in the States who does indeed sell you their books but also publishes your work.

IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 8:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Okay
I think I have heard of something liket that. They publish the work of a lot of people, and then expect to make a profit by selling the book to the contributors.  

That could turn into a scam if they demanded some form of payment or made you buy so many books.  
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »