wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Memory Improvement »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 10:21pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: william wu, towr, SMQ, Grimbal, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray)
   Memory Improvement
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Memory Improvement  (Read 3221 times)
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

Behold, the power of cheese!

5187759 5187759   john23874   SnowmanJTG
WWW Email

Memory Improvement  
« on: Jan 16th, 2004, 10:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My wife says I have a terrible memory (she has a point). I cannot remember little details. I remember everything about my college classes, my job, etc, but if she asks me to pick something up and bring it to her I pick the item up and forget what to do with it. Either that or I search around looking for something like a computer trying to resolve a null pointer, looking for something to bring to her.

What can I do to improve my short term memory? I know certain activities help improve it, for example, doing the puzzles on this site help my brain form new neural connections. But what else? I'm not looking for a miracle pill (I get plenty of that in my email inbox), just something that helps and hopefully is fun.
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Memory Improvement  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17th, 2004, 9:51am »

Fish oils seem to be good for the brain, and thus probably memory.. Of course you need to have mercury-free fish, as mercury has the opposite effect on a brain (mad hatter syndrome etc)
I also read an article recently that said cotine (derived from nicotine) had quite good effects (at last for the duration of the short term study).
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #2 on: Jan 17th, 2004, 11:29am »

You could try some so-called smart drugs, aka nootropics.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=smart+drugs&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&a mp;hl=en&meta=
IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

Behold, the power of cheese!

5187759 5187759   john23874   SnowmanJTG
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 17th, 2004, 4:38pm »

I'd rather not take drugs. I was wondering what kinds of activities or maybe nutrition. I heard that too about some fish oils, but the problem is that farm fish generally aren't of good enough quality and don't have all the good nutrients that wild fish do. And wild fish are hard to find inland in the U.S.
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 18th, 2004, 7:13am »

I remembered after I posted, that creatine also has good memory boosting properties. It's found in meat among other things, but you can get it in concentrated form as well. One side effect though is that it can make you smell bad..

Creatine found to boost intelligence, memory

and the other article about cotine
Nicotine metabolite shows promise for improving memory, protecting brain

btw, I think just any old exercize is good for the old brain.. I don't think it matters much what you do, as long as you get the blood pumping..
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
PintoZipper

« Reply #5 on: Jun 20th, 2013, 9:04am »

If even your are noticing such problem of memory then you should surely go for some treatments for it,and by the word treatment I don't mean any medication.Their are many natural ways through which you can Improve Memory,like reading and playing quiz games and many more.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »