wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Wishfull thinking »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:08pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: SMQ, Icarus, Grimbal, towr, william wu, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray)
   Wishfull thinking
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wishfull thinking  (Read 1737 times)
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Wishfull thinking  
« on: Jan 26th, 2004, 8:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is sort of a game..

You're facing an evil Djinn, and you have to make a wish. The Djinn will grant your wish, as he is compulsed to do so, but, being evil, will do his very best to twist your wish to something you never intended.
So for instance, if you ask for world peace, you may find yourself the sole survivor of the human race.

The game is simple:
Either make a wish
Or find the flaws in someone elses. Either in the methods with which the wish can be granted (peace on earth), or side effects it might have (Midas' touch)..

So to start it off, I'll start with wishing for a hamburger..
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

I am no special. I am only passionately curious.

Re: Wishfull thinking  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26th, 2004, 9:04am »

you should prolly mention the size of the hamburger or else the djinn would prolly kill all the cattle in this world to make you one big hamburger.
IP Logged

Self discovery comes when a man measures himself against an obstacle - Antoine de Saint Exupery
Jon B

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 26th, 2004, 10:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

"Make me a hamburger."
Poof!!! "You're a hamburger."
I'll wish for a wish that has no evil, harmful or unintended consequences.
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Jan 26th, 2004, 10:43am »

on Jan 26th, 2004, 10:09am, Jon B wrote:
"Make me a hamburger."
Poof!!! "You're a hamburger."
hehe.. Good thing I wished for one, not to be made one Tongue
But on TenaliRamans suggestion I think I'd amend it to  
"I wish for one average sized hamburger".  

Quote:
I'll wish for a wish that has no evil, harmful or unintended consequences.
You really want a wish that has either 'no evil consequences', 'harmfull consequences' or 'unintended consequences' ? Tongue
Ambiguous sentences are a sure fire way to get what you don't want..
IP Logged

John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

Behold, the power of cheese!

5187759 5187759   john23874   SnowmanJTG
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 27th, 2004, 5:10am »

"I wish to be able to fly by using my mind powers."

(the intended way is like telekinesis: I think about flying somewhere, and my body moves)
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29th, 2004, 8:36am »

on Jan 27th, 2004, 5:10am, John_Gaughan wrote:
"I wish to be able to fly by using my mind powers."

Read as "I wish to me able to fly by using my (uncontrollable, unpredictable, intermittent and generally unreliable) mind powers" and I'll see you 30 seconds later near the edge of the atmosphere to give you the choice of continuing upwards until you freeze and suffocate or having your powers cut out and letting you reach terminal velocity on the way down...

On the hamburger front, what are your feelings on food poisoning? For that matter, what are you wishing on behalf of this hamburger, and is it really entitled to a wish, or you to serve as proxy for it?
IP Logged
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29th, 2004, 9:02am »

on Jan 26th, 2004, 8:44am, towr wrote:
So to start it off, I'll start with wishing for a hamburger..

A hamburger made with mad cow meat. A hamburger that you cannot swallow, so you choke to death. A hamburger laced with arsenic. A hamburger made with rancid meat.

Or, worst of all, a vegetarian soy-based hamburger Smiley
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29th, 2004, 9:03am »

I wish for a million dollars.
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Jan 29th, 2004, 9:47am »

on Jan 29th, 2004, 9:03am, John_Gaughan wrote:
I wish for a million dollars.
Ah, a classic..
A bag of money is dropped at your door, it contains 1 million dollar as you wished. A day later you're arrested for bank robbery, convicted, and end up in prison as a 'playmate' for some guy called 'Butch'.. Tongue
IP Logged

Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #9 on: Jan 29th, 2004, 6:06pm »

I once read a short story by Orson Scott Card called "middle woman" about a chinese peasant woman who meets a magic dragon, who gives her the choice of being eaten or having three wishes granted - in exactly the fashion here. The woman wishes first that her farm will always produce enough to feed her family. The dragon grants it by flying off and devouring her family: thus, no matter what the farm produces, it will be enough. Card wimps out at this point though. The woman's second wish is for everything to be restored to the way it was when she began her journey that morning - a wish that if properly granted would result in the end of the universe in an ever-recurring loop. But he has her knowing what will happen and canceling her trip.

The problem with this game is that one can always choose to simply interpret the words differently than the speaker wishes. But to play along, how about this wish.

"I wish for 1 ton of pure gold, in the form of a solid stable cube of standard density and room temperature, to which no one other than me has any claim or knowledge of, to appear on top of the floor at rest in the basement, away from any living thing larger than a spider (you can squash any bugs as you please). And no changes to anything else around while you are at it."
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 29th, 2004, 8:11pm »

on Jan 29th, 2004, 6:06pm, Icarus wrote:
"I wish for 1 ton of pure gold, in the form of a solid stable cube of standard density and room temperature, to which no one other than me has any claim or knowledge of, to appear on top of the floor at rest in the basement, away from any living thing larger than a spider (you can squash any bugs as you please). And no changes to anything else around while you are at it."

One second later, you have a cracked basement floor from the strain. There is a cold war bomb shelter underneath the floor you did not know about, and the floor collapses. One of the major load-bearing pillars has nothing to stand on, so it and the joist it supports sag as the floor crumbles from underneath it. The joist cracks, starting a chain reaction that collapses the entire house on top of your head.

And then, you die...
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #11 on: Jan 30th, 2004, 12:58am »

"I wish to be granted 1,000,000 wishes from you, wishes you will folfill for me"...

And another one:

"I wish to be the only person able to read the thoughts and feeling of other humans, one by one or as a group (according to my wish and control), as well the ability to alter the thoughts and feeling of other humans. To be absolutley clear, these abilities must be toally under my control, so that I may choose if, when, how and on whom this powers will work. No other changes to the reallity as we know it."

A side note:
I once saw a short TV movie, in which an old couple received a monkey claw that may fulfill 3 wishes for it's current holder. The one who gave them the claw said it did work for him "in it;s own way".
The couple sat thinking what to ask for, when their son retured from his work at the coal mind, laughed, and wished for a million $. Then he went up to his room, and declared the room empty from money.  
The next day there's an eccident at the mind, the son is killed, and his parents reeive 1M$ from the mind management.
It's late in the evening, quite, dark and gloomy, and the parents think about their next move. The mother takes the claw and wishes for her son to be alive again. Imediatly the door starts to shake, horoble wind stires everything, the lights dim...
The father says to his wife -- there is only one way our dead son can be "back". He takes the claw and says "I wish for my son to be dead again".
Quite.
The end.
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2004, 12:59am by BNC » IP Logged

How about supercalifragilisticexpialidociouspuzzler [Towr, 2007]
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #12 on: Jan 30th, 2004, 1:03am »

I'm not sure I buy the bomb-shelter thing. There might as well not have been one, and the wish can't reasonably make there be one.

on Jan 29th, 2004, 6:06pm, Icarus wrote:
Hmm.. it seems that anything entering the basement dies, as the cube must remain away from any living thing larger than a spider.  
Alternatively it may simply disappear if anything larger enters. But that's getting off easy Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2004, 1:04am by towr » IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #13 on: Jan 30th, 2004, 1:10am »

on Jan 30th, 2004, 12:58am, BNC wrote:
"I wish to be granted 1,000,000 wishes from you, wishes you will folfill for me"...
The Djinn leaves, and you grow old unable to ever die untill every so often he returns to fullfill one of the 1.000.000 wishes, which allways turn out badly somehow Tongue
IP Logged

John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 30th, 2004, 5:38am »

The one about the monkey claw reminds me of a Twilight Zone where a couple receives a box with a button. There are no wires, nothing besides a box and an apparently inert button. The man who gave it to them said they had a day. If they push the button during that day, someone they do not know will die and they will get one million dollars. The end up pushing the button. The man comes back with the money and takes the box. They ask what he is going to do with the box: he says he will give it to someone they do not know Smiley
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #15 on: Jan 30th, 2004, 9:06am »

on Jan 30th, 2004, 1:10am, towr wrote:

The Djinn leaves, and you grow old unable to ever die untill every so often he returns to fullfill one of the 1.000.000 wishes, which allways turn out badly somehow Tongue

Ah, but then on the 2nd visit (or imediatly after I'm granted the 1M wishes) I wish for the Djinn to stay, on the 3rd wish I wis for him to stop interpreting my wishes in an evil way, and then...
IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #16 on: Jan 31st, 2004, 4:16am »

on Jan 30th, 2004, 9:06am, BNC wrote:
Ah, but then on the 2nd visit (or immediatly after I'm granted the 1M wishes) I wish for the Djinn to stay, on the 3rd wish I wis for him to stop interpreting my wishes in an evil way, and then...
You'd still face an awfully long life.. I doubt even in the best case you could do more than one wish a minute.
Besides, the second visit might not be untill after the sun has long died out. Doesn't seem like as pleasant prospect, less so if it doesn't kill you but you still feel everything.
Also, you failed to specify it should be your wishes that should be granted for you.. He might just collect wishes from others and when he collected a million unleash them all upon you..
IP Logged

BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #17 on: Jan 31st, 2004, 6:05am »

on Jan 31st, 2004, 4:16am, towr wrote:

You'd still face an awfully long life.. I doubt even in the best case you could do more than one wish a minute.

Not really a problem...
- I wish to stop growing older
- I wish for the rest of my wishes to vanish
- I wish for time to slow down for me
- I wish to die now, withut pain.
And many more

Quote:

Besides, the second visit might not be untill after the sun has long died out. Doesn't seem like as pleasant prospect, less so if it doesn't kill you but you still feel everything.

Easilly solvable by specifying the wishes are to be granted even if he's not next to me.

Quote:

Also, you failed to specify it should be your wishes that should be granted for you.. He might just collect wishes from others and when he collected a million unleash them all upon you..

Yeah... ok.

I'm really more interested in the 'mule-like' mind reading/altering.
IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #18 on: Feb 1st, 2004, 7:32am »

on Jan 31st, 2004, 6:05am, BNC wrote:
Not really a problem...
- I wish to stop growing older
A classic as a first wish, in this case turning to stone would pose a problem for the Djinn, as he could not complete the first wish anymore.
Quote:
- I wish for time to slow down for me
Heh.. the universe passes you by even faster Tongue
I suppose if the Djinn is inclined not to break too many laws of physics it's a good way to get somewhere, as you must be travelling near the speed of light..

Quote:
I'm really more interested in the 'mule-like' mind reading/altering.
Yes, I was just thinking about that on the way home.. But I see now I didn't remember the wording right, so that's a bust.. It's a toughie..  

Quote:
"I wish to be the only person able to read the thoughts and feeling of other humans, one by one or as a group (according to my wish and control), as well the ability to alter the thoughts and feeling of other humans. To be absolutely clear, these abilities must be toally under my control, so that I may choose if, when, how and on whom this powers will work. No other changes to the reallity as we know it."
hmm.. that bit in parentheses might be a way out. If you don't want to read thoughts and feelings of people (or no more than you allready can), then we're done.  

But there's also a more fundamental problem. Almost everyone has a basic ability to read others, a sensitivity to their state of mind etc. That is _heavily_ relied upon in social interaction. Without it everyone will seem somewhat autistic. And you've just wished to be the only one with any such ability whatsoever.
I suppose you yourself are pretty safe, but you pretty much doomed every other living human.. Reproduction will be severely hampered, social structure collapses. There will probably not be much left of the human race one or two generations later. On the bright side you did the rest of mother earth a favor Tongue
IP Logged

BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #19 on: Feb 2nd, 2004, 11:59pm »

on Feb 1st, 2004, 7:32am, towr wrote:

I suppose you yourself are pretty safe, but you pretty much doomed every other living human.. Reproduction will be severely hampered, social structure collapses. There will probably not be much left of the human race one or two generations later. On the bright side you did the rest of mother earth a favor Tongue

You seem to forget I now have the ability to influence other humans, including as a group. I can make everyone nice and friendly. I can make enough people sex-crazed to generate the next generation. I can probably even make everyone (except me -- hehe) the way they were using my new powers.

Here's another, non-selfish idea:
Dragon: "I grant you one wish, bla bla"
User: "I wish you, and only you, cease to exist."
IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #20 on: Feb 3rd, 2004, 1:15am »

on Feb 2nd, 2004, 11:59pm, BNC wrote:
You seem to forget I now have the ability to influence other humans, including as a group. I can make everyone nice and friendly. I can make enough people sex-crazed to generate the next generation. I can probably even make everyone (except me -- hehe) the way they were using my new powers.
No, only the reading of feeling and thought applies to the whole group Tongue
Besides, it's not as if they don't have feelings and thoughts allready. In fact those never changed. It's their ability to read/sense the feelings and thoughts others that is impaired (or absent actually).
Actually this would go as far as them not being able to read books, as those are written down thoughts (and feelings)..

Quote:
Here's another, non-selfish idea:
Dragon: "I grant you one wish, bla bla"
User: "I wish you, and only you, cease to exist."
That might do it.. On the other hand, isn't it the nature of things to come in to existence, exist for a while and then cease to exist. And now everything else must never cease to exist. I'm not sure that's even possible, short of freezing the entire universe in one moment. (And you didn't say when he had to cease to exist either Tongue)
IP Logged

rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #21 on: Feb 3rd, 2004, 7:45am »

"I wish you, and only you, cease to exist"

Take the "eternal" viewpoint, and the Djinn is suddenly edited out of existence retroactively (from a viewpoint sufficiently outside the universe, time within the universe is just another direction, and everything that has ever existed always exists). That sort of messes things up rather and undoubtedly leads to all sorts of problems - though refusing to let anything else cease to exist is liable to mess things up even further.

Another possible problem lies in the question of where the Djinn gets its power from - if, for instance, the Djinn has the power because the universe is his dream or otherwise depends entirely upon his continued existence, then his cessation of existence would include the cessation of the universe's existence.

Alternatively, the Djinn ceases to exist. An instant later, he comes back into existence (or is replaced by his nastier brother).

As to the mind control: things that aren't persons can still read, control etc other humans. For that matter, there's nothing in the wording to specify that the power to alter is exclusive - merely the power to read. Imagine a world of people totally without empathy who can influence the thoughts and actions of others at will. Also, I'm a little wary of using the word "wish" within a wish... It may well work out that you can only use your powers as stipulated in future granted wishes (of which you have none).
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #22 on: Feb 24th, 2004, 3:52am »

http://www.reallifecomics.com/daily.php?strip_id=1136 (and the next, and probably the next after that, which hasn't been posted as I write)
IP Logged

OD

Email

« Reply #23 on: May 6th, 2004, 4:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hmm all these wishes remind me of a particular part in Planescape Torment (best PC game, ever) where you hear a story about yourself (you being an immortal man who loses his memory every time he dies) where you come accross a witch. She tells you you once had 3 wishes, but then you made 2 and the 2 of you lost contact. So now you have one wish left. You think about it for a small while and wish for something (i forgot what it was) and then the witch smiles and says "Funny, that was your first wish."
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #24 on: May 7th, 2004, 12:36am »

All hail Google Grin

Quote:
Morte's Tale;  

---------------------------------------  
NO: "Morte... do you have a story to trade?"  

Morte: "Me? Why do *I* have to tell a story?"  

NO: "Just tell a story, Morte."  

Morte: "Fine, fine..."  
"An elderly man was sitting alone on a dark path, right? He wasn't certain of which direction to go, and he'd forgotten both where he was traveling to and who he was. He'd sat down for a moment to rest his weary legs, and suddenly looked up to see an elderly woman before him. She grinned toothlessly and with a cackle, spoke: 'Now your *third* wish. What will it be?'"  
"'Third wish?' The man was baffled. 'How can it be a third wish if I haven't had a first and second wish?'"  
"'You've had two wishes already,' the hag said, 'but your second wish was for me to return everything to the way it was before you had made your first wish. That's why you remember nothing; because everything is the way it was before you made any wishes.' She cackled at the poor berk. 'So it is that you have one wish left.'"  
"'All right,' said the man, "I don't believe this, but there's no harm in wishing. I wish to know who I am.'"  
"'Funny,' said the old woman as she granted his wish and disappeared forever. 'That was your first wish.'"
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »