wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Umm... What two blood types ....? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 5:04pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, towr, Icarus, william wu, SMQ, Eigenray, Grimbal)
   Umm... What two blood types ....?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Umm... What two blood types ....?  (Read 12359 times)
pedronunezmd

Re: Umm... What two blood types ....?  
« Reply #25 on: Jun 11th, 2004, 4:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 11th, 2004, 8:18am, Leonid Broukhis wrote:
Thanks, I did not know about the dietary source of the ABO antibodies. Do vegetarians have them as well?

Excellent question. However, the antibodies form due to the fact that the ABO antigens are also produced by some plants and microorganisms. Usually, by about 6 months of age, all people have already developed a healthy antibody response to these antigens. Being a vegetarian will have no effect on the development of the antibodies. I suppose, however, that if you were immediately placed in a bubble at birth and fed only an elemental diet, then you would not develop the ABO antibodies at all.
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #26 on: Jun 13th, 2004, 8:07am »

So.. does that MD at the end of your name mean you're a doctor?
(It helps to know where information is coming from when I have to deal with a conflict between what I think I know and new informtion)
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
pedronunezmd

« Reply #27 on: Jun 16th, 2004, 7:11pm »

I do happen to be a doctor, but I learned about the Rh and ABO systems in biology in undergraduate school. (I use pedronunezmd as my screen name just about everywhere I go, similar to what I've seen rmsgrey post elsewhere.)
IP Logged
bagoftricks

« Reply #28 on: Nov 29th, 2004, 11:09pm »

is anybody talking about hemophilia here.
its the life threatening disease where u will bleed to death, when hurt coz ur blood doesn't clot.
here if both parents are hemophilia minor(no actual disease but presence og mutated gene) then the child maybe a hemophilia major(actual presence of disease)

http://www.hemophilia.org/
check this web site if u need more info
IP Logged
windyview

Email

« Reply #29 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 11:15am »

Hi  

I read with interest your forum on ABO and Rhesus factors... I will say first off that a lot of what you said is over my head but I just wanted to comment (from experience) that I was a 3 time 0+ mom who gave birth to A+ babies.. I had learned about rh- problems in high school biology but was not informed or prepared for the ABO problem that I experienced with my 3 childrens births.. They all developed jaundice after my c sections and had to be under bilirubin lights for several days. My second birth was the one closest to having to have a complete transfusion. My kids are now having babies of their own and I have trouble explaining exactly what happened after they were born that made them need the bilirubin lights. If my blood and their blood was incompatible why was it that the problem didnt require treatment until after they were born? I know or at least I think that it has something to do with the red cell count vs the white cell count which is usually too high, possibly mimicking white blood cells attacking the red blood cells which they think are foreign?  But if the baby has A+ blood why does it perceive it to be foreign?  or am I way off here?   Please explain if you would in very simple terms  Smiley   Thankyou so very much...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »