wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - We Are What We Eat »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:28am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: william wu, ThudnBlunder, towr, Grimbal, SMQ, Eigenray, Icarus)
   We Are What We Eat
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: We Are What We Eat  (Read 27693 times)
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

Behold, the power of cheese!

5187759 5187759   john23874   SnowmanJTG
WWW Email

Re: We Are What We Eat  
« Reply #25 on: Mar 5th, 2004, 6:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Mar 5th, 2004, 3:08am, towr wrote:
Dairy, moderate fat, carbohydrate intakes reduce obesity in young teens

That article did not mentioned the word "exercise" at all. Exercise is the other side of the weight loss issue. They do have a good point about fast food, though. The nutritional content of most fast food is abyssimally low.
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #26 on: Mar 6th, 2004, 9:24am »

Of course it didn't mention excersize, that wasn't what the article was about.. It didn't mention genetic disposition either, or society, or tv-ads. There are some articles on that somewhere though, I think..
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #27 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 12:55am »

Speaking of the you are what you eat theory. When I was a kid, I heard that your body is completely replaced every sevenyears. That is, all the cells in your body that were there seven years ago, are no longer there. So, you become a new man (being) every seven years. So, if you eat only carrots for seven years you will turn into a carrot. (You will turn orange anyway.)  Grin
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #28 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 1:48am »

That's only partly true. Not all cells are replaced, nerve cells among others can't well be replaced so they have to last a life time. But mass-wise it's about right.. An average person looses about 4 kg a year on dead skin cells alone.
IP Logged

rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #29 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 5:05am »

Besides, while the actual nerve cells may not be replaced over time, the individual particles (atoms and subatomic particles) can wander off...
IP Logged
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

WWW Email

« Reply #30 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 10:01pm »

on Mar 8th, 2004, 1:48am, towr wrote:
That's only partly true. Not all cells are replaced, nerve cells among others can't well be replaced so they have to last a life time. But mass-wise it's about right.. An average person looses about 4 kg a year on dead skin cells alone.

I am not a biologist or MD but I remember reading that this is not true. Nerve cells, to include the ones in the brain, do die, and are replaced. It just takes longer than "normal" cells.

I grew up hearing that our brains stopped growing/developing at about age 10-12. After that, if a brain cell died, it was dead forever. Now it seems that is not the accepted theory... damnit, I wish MDs could figure out how our brains work.
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #31 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 10:10pm »

They say that when a brain cell dies, it tends to increase the overall strength of the entire brain. It is similar to the weakest member of the heard being left behind improving the survival characteristics of the herd as a whole. This theory has been used to support the idea that beer makes you smart, which had been accepted as common knowledge in most societies, but is validified through this recent study.  

Give me another beer, I'm evolving Shocked
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

WWW Email

« Reply #32 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 10:40pm »

Beer is too weak, give me whiskey. I need to evolve faster Shocked
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #33 on: Mar 9th, 2004, 2:17am »

on Mar 8th, 2004, 10:01pm, John_Gaughan wrote:
I am not a biologist or MD but I remember reading that this is not true. Nerve cells, to include the ones in the brain, do die, and are replaced. It just takes longer than "normal" cells.
I'm not saying none die, and none are replaced. But most don't. An average brain cells has connections with one to ten thousand others. This makes it extremely difficult to replace. Loosing a few connections or brain cells doesn't matter much, as the brain is a distributed network. But you run in to problems if you want to replace a significant amount.
When a part of the brain is destroyed (in a stroke or accident) new brain cells can often only regain some of the functionality. And the younger you are the better, since the brain as a whole can then better learn to adapt. (Though I suppose getting a stroke at a young age isn't a good sign)
IP Logged

khuram4u

« Reply #34 on: Dec 25th, 2011, 2:17am »

fast foods and energy drinks are not good for health if used frequently. never taken them on empty stomach.  They don't have fiber and protein. always take a good amount of fiber and protein daily. 3 apples eat daily and 8 glasses of water. this will help reduce obesity.

i reduced my obesity by using this formula and drinking green tea daily.
IP Logged
aurther

« Reply #35 on: Jan 14th, 2012, 1:46am »

What we eat will certainly always define who we are. we are becoming obese and overweight weight because in the last 40 years we have doubled our portions apart from reducing the fruits and vegetables that we eat replacing them with highly processed foods. The closer we get back to the original that we are supposed to eat, the longer we will live. But again other factors such as climate changes if you see it that way also affect overall how long we last.
IP Logged
RichardL

« Reply #36 on: Aug 3rd, 2012, 5:07am »

Its true for some people, but if you do exercises daily it helps you to be in shape and healthy.
IP Logged
fajar

I am here

« Reply #37 on: Aug 29th, 2013, 11:23pm »

very interesting, is it the similar with "we are what we think" ?
IP Logged
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #38 on: Sep 7th, 2013, 8:27am »

on Feb 25th, 2004, 10:06am, william wu wrote:
I was just thinking, it's kind of profound that we are what we eat. We really are what we eat!

Are you calling me a pig!? I like pork. Tongue
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »