wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - The Hutchison’s effect - fact or fiction »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 21st, 2024, 10:03am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: SMQ, william wu, ThudnBlunder, Grimbal, towr, Eigenray, Icarus)
   The Hutchison’s effect - fact or fiction
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Hutchison’s effect - fact or fiction  (Read 1970 times)
apsurf

Email

The Hutchison’s effect - fact or fiction  
« on: May 18th, 2005, 5:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Does anybody believe in this effect?  
They claim to use high frequency - RF and electro static mediums – Tesla coils and what not  
From what I’ve seen they are trying to pull something because RF frequencies have no effect on plastic objects - however they have some good papers I think like - Riemannian Geometry with Maintaining the Notion of Distant Parallelism Teleparallel Space-Time with Defects yields Geometrization of Electrodynamics with quantized Charges.  
However, I have built a lifter which is functional - to my surprise  
IP Logged
Deedlit
Senior Riddler

Re: The Hutchison’s effect - fact or fiction  
« Reply #1 on: May 18th, 2005, 8:17am »

on May 18th, 2005, 5:46am, apsurf wrote:
Riemannian Geometry with Maintaining the Notion of Distant Parallelism Teleparallel Space-Time with Defects yields Geometrization of Electrodynamics with quantized Charges.  

I would guess that whoever wrote this paper is pulling something.  Grin
IP Logged
Michael Dagg
Senior Riddler

« Reply #2 on: May 18th, 2005, 8:53am »

on May 18th, 2005, 8:17am, Deedlit wrote:

I would guess that whoever wrote this paper is pulling something.  Grin

I am not so sure. It looks like a perfectly valid title from topics in continuum mechanics. Where is the paper?
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2005, 8:54am by Michael Dagg » IP Logged

Regards,
Michael Dagg
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #3 on: May 18th, 2005, 10:48am »

on May 18th, 2005, 5:46am, apsurf wrote:
However, I have built a lifter which is functional - to my surprise
One of those foily thingies with a high voltage over it? Which have nothing to do with the Hutchison's effect?

It'd have helped to start this topic off with what the Hutchison's effect is.
Maybe a link to http://www.hutchisoneffect.com/
Because I had no idea what you were talking about.  

And why is it under psychology? It's supposedly a physical effect, not psychokinetics or something like that.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
apsurf

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 18th, 2005, 4:33pm »

Where should i have posted this  

The whole thing seems peculiar, but my knowledge is finite, so I was hopping someone could set my strait.  I only mentioned the Lifter to draw light on my naiveness.
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #5 on: May 18th, 2005, 5:07pm »

on May 18th, 2005, 4:33pm, apsurf wrote:
Where should i have posted this

Since there is no specific forum for physics discussions, the general discussion forum seems the best place for it, so I have moved it there.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: May 19th, 2005, 1:21am »

The whole thing does seem rather peculiar. If he'd really invented a (near) infinite free energy source, you'd think he'd start an energy company or something. It's not like there aren't tons of people interested in cheap energy.
IP Logged

rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #7 on: May 19th, 2005, 3:51am »

From what's said on the site, it seems that something well beyond currently known physics is going on, and is not yet reliably reproducible.

I don't think suggesting that Hutchison should be able to start selling energy is fair - according to his articles, at best he was producing energy for a few seconds an hour - which (from my relatively uninformed position) sounds like it could be an energy storage effect rather than a net energy source anyway, and certainly isn't suitable for use as a reliable energy supply.

You might as well suggest the Curies should have built a nuclear power station...

It strikes me that there are 3 possibilities:

1) Hutchison is conducting a deliberate (and apparently long running) hoax presumably with the aim of getting attention, and (apparently) with sufficient skill to avoid exposure.

2) Hutchison has somehow accidentally tapped into a known but obscure phenomenon using equipment that somehow accidentally includes the known causes of such an effect and in a way that escaped detection - like many who think they've managed to trisect the angle by a means so complex for its flaws to defy detection.

3) Hutchison has stumbled across something genuinely new for which the theoretical framework does not yet exist.

Of the three, I'd prefer to think it was the third option. Of the other two, I find it totally incomprehensible in the first place the lengths to which some people will go in order to get attention, so I find it hard to believe it's a deliberate hoax anyway - and I also have difficulty believing that such a hoax would not be exposed (assuming the reported media interest from the '80s is genuine - which should be relatively straightforward to verify)
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: May 19th, 2005, 6:59am »

on May 19th, 2005, 3:51am, rmsgrey wrote:
I don't think suggesting that Hutchison should be able to start selling energy is fair - according to his articles, at best he was producing energy for a few seconds an hour
In one of the interview videos on the site he says he's got units that have reliably been producing energy for over a year. And he definitely suggests it's tapping into an endless supply (or at least practically endless).
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2005, 7:00am by towr » IP Logged

apsurf

Email

« Reply #9 on: May 19th, 2005, 8:22am »

If it was not a hoax could it be the beginnings of a unified field theory, I tend to believe it is a hoax due to the lack of support in both finances and physicists. However, many physicists – in Einstein’s era- would have rather believed that the earth was stationary than to see the ether theory disproved – as it was.
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #10 on: May 19th, 2005, 5:57pm »

I can't say one way or another about much of it. The "space energy" and "absorbing energy from the cosmos" descriptions are pure garbage. I always love it when people start spouting about "zero-point energy". I will repeat again what I have said elsewhere:

Energy is NOT what makes the universe operate. According to all that we know, the universe has exactly as much energy in it now as when it started. It is not energy that is needed. It is the flow of energy from "high density" regions to "low density" regions that operates the universe, and our machines. Energy is like water: if you put a waterwheel in a lake, it will sit there, as the water is not moving. If you put it in a tiny stream, it will turn even though there is far less water available. It is the flow of the water that is needed, not the water itself. So it is with energy.

Zero-point energy is evenly distributed in empty space, and thus is just as useless to us as water in the middle of a lake is for turning waterwheels. In order to use zero-point energy, you need a depression in the levels that other energy can flow into. Of course, when you find one and use it, the inflowing energy eventually fills it up, and the good times end. Further, such depressions are not easily available. The only ones we know of (or at least, that I have heard of) are between closely spaced conductors. This depression results in a force acting to pull the conductors together. This is the Casimir effect mentioned in some of the articles. You can get a small amount of work this way, but only by allowing the conductors to move together, thus collapsing the depression. In order to get any more work out of it, you have to separate the conductors again - an action requiring at least as much work as you can get from doing it.

That said, there does seem to be some evidence of a long-lasting effect here. Without knowing more about his crystal "battery", I cannot say whether it is from something truly new, or just a clever/fortuitous conjunction of already understood phenomena (likely I personally couldn't say even if I did know more).

As for the "Hutchinson effect" itself, I am skeptical yet that there is not anything more than standard electromagnetism going on. But I just don't know.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #11 on: May 19th, 2005, 9:22pm »

Although the info on this effect seems to point out it is not the result of any known effect, it should be remembered that many of the effects reported for this effect can also occur by using induction coils.  Metals can be melted and levitated at the same time (see here for example). If a piece of metal and wood were placed inside the coils, only the metal would heat, because a current is not induced in the wood.

The claim of changing the structure of metals may be simply what happens if you carelessly melt and resolidify an alloy that has better properties when given a better controlled heat treatment (such as annealing, solution treating, precipitation and aging).
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #12 on: May 20th, 2005, 5:15am »

on May 19th, 2005, 6:59am, towr wrote:

In one of the interview videos on the site he says he's got units that have reliably been producing energy for over a year. And he definitely suggests it's tapping into an endless supply (or at least practically endless).

OK, I missed that one. I stopped after his most recent articles.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »