wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Quartiles. »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 10:27am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: william wu, Eigenray, towr, SMQ, ThudnBlunder, Icarus, Grimbal)
   Quartiles.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Quartiles.  (Read 1350 times)
Noke Lieu
Uberpuzzler

pen... paper... let's go! (and bit of plastic)

Quartiles.  
« on: Aug 30th, 2005, 8:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just stirring here. My limited stats knowledge may have a big hole in it, but this seems a bit... curious.  

Imagine a population.  
Imagine that they sit  a test.  
Imagine that a directive comes out that their results are to be ranked and put into quartiles.  
No problem so far.  
Now, here comes the tricky bit, label these quartiles A, B, C, D or E.  
Eh?
IP Logged

a shade of wit and the art of farce.
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Quartiles.  
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31st, 2005, 12:37am »

I think I'll label them all A Grin
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31st, 2005, 2:47pm »

So you want to label all 5 quartiles? Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Noke Lieu
Uberpuzzler

pen... paper... let's go! (and bit of plastic)

« Reply #3 on: Aug 31st, 2005, 6:11pm »

Hmmmn, background... Like I said, could be stirring here

Last school I was in in tasmania, a teacher said I'd find this funny. Certain powers that be have said that there needs to be a new system of measuring students abilities. It is putting them into quartiles and then labelling them abcde.

He was right. I did find it very funny.  
Wondering who supplied the numeracy advice to these powers...
IP Logged

a shade of wit and the art of farce.
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #4 on: Aug 31st, 2005, 6:31pm »

Probably the Magliozzi brothers (Tom and Ray of "Car Talk"). Who, with tongue firmly in cheek, divide their show into three halves, regularly making mention of what is coming up in the "third half" of the show.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
JocK
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Sep 1st, 2005, 10:57am »

on Aug 31st, 2005, 6:11pm, Noke Lieu wrote:

Wondering who supplied the numeracy advice to these powers...

Obviously, there is three kinds of people: those who can count, and those who can't.

« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2005, 10:59am by JocK » IP Logged

solving abstract problems is like sex: it may occasionally have some practical use, but that is not why we do it.

xy - y = x5 - y4 - y3 = 20; x>0, y>0.
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Sep 3rd, 2005, 2:40pm »

on Sep 1st, 2005, 10:57am, JocK wrote:

Obviously, there is three kinds of people: those who can count, and those who can't.

One half is always equal to the other half, maybe half of the people know that, but then it is a very small half.
IP Logged
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

« Reply #7 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 5:09pm »

I could be wrong, but they may be basing it on a similar measure to IQ testing, in which a score of 100 represents the population average. If this boundary is labelled C, then taking 25% of the population above and below 100, based on historical data, finds the B and D boundary score respectively. Similarly, 25% above and below the B and D boundary we find the A and E boundary score.

Anyone scoring above 100 but below the boundary for B is classified C. In the same way, a student is labelled according to the boundary they do not exceed.

As we are dealing with an historical data model a candidate could score above the 100th percentile and find themselves as being labelled A (exceptional performance). A candidate scoring below the E boundary has failed to meet any standard, which in itself is quite an exceptional performance.

Of course, what is more likely is that they meant quintiles and did not realise the significance of the prefix quart- (from Latin: quartus=fourth). Interestingly I couldn't find the statistical terms tercile (tertius=third, hence tertiile->tercile) or sextile in any online dictionaries.

Another demonstration of general misuse today is usage of the terminology with reference to percentiles. Most people think that any score found below the 25th percentile is a lower, or first, quartile value. They fail to realise that first quartile is synonymous with 25th percentile, and as such it refers to the boundary, not the interval. It may well be convenient to talk about a "3rd quartile score" to mean a score between the 50th and 75th percentile, but the phrase means they scored a value equal to the 75th percentile. As the second quartile (=50th percentile) is the same as the median, how would they define a median score?
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2005, 3:06am by Sir Col » IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »