wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Detecting leaker of a beta »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 3:35pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: Eigenray, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, william wu, SMQ, towr, Icarus)
   Detecting leaker of a beta
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Detecting leaker of a beta  (Read 394 times)
drunksage

drunksage   compgamelover

Detecting leaker of a beta  
« on: Nov 8th, 2006, 12:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm not sure where this topic fits, so I placed it here.

Is anyone here familiar with Warcraft III, and especially WC3 mapmaking? I want to figure out a way to protect a WC3 map from being leaked during closed beta testing and mainly a way to detect who is leaking the map. If you're not familiar with WC3 The only people who have access to the map are the developer and a pool of, say, a hundred beta testers.

Some ideas:

- Since the map is loaded within WC3, you can't limit "installing" it, but maybe you can put in a trigger to end the game as a loss if a certain password isn't typed in. Password (or one of multiple passwords) would be given to selected, "trusted" beta testers to use when playing the map with other beta testers.
- Slightly modified versions of the map released every so often, and monitoring who downloads it and who plays it. "Replays" of a game can be saved after the game is completed, so you can keep track of who's played a certain version. If that version is leaked, you have a better idea of what's going on.
- Something that doesn't work: limiting the map to certain names of testers, since some of these names are publicly known.
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Detecting leaker of a beta  
« Reply #1 on: Nov 8th, 2006, 2:16pm »

The only thing I can think of is one you already mention, give everyone a slightly different map. They could easily be functional equivalent yet differ in color or texture somewhere. Just enough to be unique.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
drunksage

drunksage   compgamelover

« Reply #2 on: Nov 8th, 2006, 3:13pm »

on Nov 8th, 2006, 2:16pm, towr wrote:
The only thing I can think of is one you already mention, give everyone a slightly different map. They could easily be functional equivalent yet differ in color or texture somewhere. Just enough to be unique.

I knew I missed something. Let me elaborate on this point: the mechanism of beta testing is mainly to play the map with other players, ideally 10 people in a game, since some bugs can't be determined in single-player. The exact same version of a map is needed by all people in a particular game.
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2006, 3:13pm by drunksage » IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 8th, 2006, 6:20pm »

You could hide a unique ID code in the file for each copy of the map. You would have to adjust the game to ignore this code during play. If the map is leaked, you only need to look up the code in the leaked copy to see which one it was. Then you can limit the pool of potential sources to the people who had access to that copy.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #4 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 12:04am »

on Nov 8th, 2006, 3:13pm, drunksage wrote:
The exact same version of a map is needed by all people in a particular game.
It can't even differ on nonfunctional details? Like a pixel here or there?

To be honest, someone might have thought about the leaking problem while making the game itself. But  I suppose it's too late for that.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »