wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - some ideas for intelligent online conversations »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 3:55pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, towr, SMQ, Grimbal, william wu, Icarus, Eigenray)
   some ideas for intelligent online conversations
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: some ideas for intelligent online conversations  (Read 498 times)
amichail
Senior Riddler

some ideas for intelligent online conversations  
« on: Nov 12th, 2006, 8:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I think it might be interesting to control who can reply to your post in a discussion.

For example, when making a blog post, you might specify a list of people who are allowed to reply to it, perhaps because you respect their opinion on that topic. You could send them an email requesting their reply or you could make that list public to encourage them to reply.

When making a reply, each of those people may in turn specify a list of people who are allowed to reply to their reply, and so on.

This is sort of like a social network, but one that is specific to the topic at hand.

Moreover, you do not necessarily have to explicitly specify the list of people who may reply. Instead, you might present any person attempting a reply to your post with a puzzle to increase the probability that this person would be qualified to reply.

And of course, this puzzle could be automatically generated and you may in fact change it at any time to a completely different kind of puzzle.

Another possibility is to have each poster approve all replies to his/her post.
IP Logged

DropZap - a new kind of block elimination game
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: some ideas for intelligent online conversation  
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 1:28am »

I think most people on the internet are myopic enough without them only getting replies they agree with.. Which is to say I rather suspect it will be used to quell dissenting voices.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
amichail
Senior Riddler

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 2:14am »

on Nov 13th, 2006, 1:28am, towr wrote:
I think most people on the internet are myopic enough without them only getting replies they agree with.. Which is to say I rather suspect it will be used to quell dissenting voices.

This is not obvious. Many people like to debate and inviting people into the discussion who are likely to disagree with you would be important.
IP Logged

amichail
Senior Riddler

« Reply #3 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 3:06am »

Suppose you would like to identify "cool things". These could be news items or perhaps topics for discussion.

Maybe we could use a related approach based on invitations and firings. People who are invited can post as many items as they wish.  

However, if person A invites B, then A can also fire the entire invitation subtree rooted at B.  

So people need to be careful about what they post. However, if you are fired, you could get invited again, perhaps by a different person. But if people are tired of your posts, perhaps no one will invite you again.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2006, 3:28am by amichail » IP Logged

Ken_Wiley

« Reply #4 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 11:08am »

I think this idea would restrict learning. It seems to me that if you interject something in a puzzle that is a question kinda like "how did you do that" someone will respond even it is not the person that did what you are talking about. I can see a big learnign experience from this site that is really one reason why I like it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »