wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Can we see our face?????? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 1:26am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: Icarus, towr, Eigenray, Grimbal, william wu, SMQ, ThudnBlunder)
   Can we see our face??????
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Can we see our face??????  (Read 1794 times)
checker

Can we see our face??????  
« on: Feb 19th, 2007, 9:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Our here I am posting the question of einstien whose answer I am searching for:
If we are traveling with the speed of light with a mirror in our hand......and then a beam of light stricks our face........then...Can we be able to see our faceHuh??
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Can we see our face??????  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20th, 2007, 12:37am »

Yes and no. In our frame of reference we can, light always travels at, well, speed of light, in our own frame of reference (all things moving at the same speed in the same direction). However, to outside observers, our time seems to stand still, so they would rightfully say we can't see ourselves, or move, or do anything.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20th, 2007, 1:25am »

on Feb 20th, 2007, 12:37am, towr wrote:
However, to outside observers, our time seems to stand still, so they would rightfully say we can't see ourselves, or move, or do anything.

While we are on the subject, I think even Madonna might agree it is really neat that from the point of view of a photon length telescopes to nothing in the direction of travel, as does time relative to a stationary observer. So for a 3D pulse of light there is no physical universe or time. Or answers such as '42' because there are no annoying little questions such as 'Why are we here?'.  

Wink
IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #3 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 8:34am »

Of course, at times light itself moves slower than the speed of light, which will have all sorts of weird effects...

As to the original question, at high enough speeds, either the oncoming beam of light will be blue-shifted into high-energy gamma, which will mostly pass straight through you, or the reflected light will be red-shifted into very long-wave radio, which will pass by a hand-held mirror without noticing it, so you're unlikely to see much...
IP Logged
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #4 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 4:49pm »

on Feb 21st, 2007, 8:34am, rmsgrey wrote:
Of course, at times light itself moves slower than the speed of light, which will have all sorts of weird effects...

I thought the speed of light is constant, and it stays constant regardless of medium, time, space, etc. ? Huh
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 4:56pm »

on Feb 21st, 2007, 4:49pm, JiNbOtAk wrote:

I thought the speed of light is constant, and it stays constant regardless of medium, time, space, etc. ? Huh

Nope, it is constant and equal to c in a vacuum. Through glass or water it is about 0.67c, IIRC.  
IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #6 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 5:18pm »

on Feb 21st, 2007, 4:56pm, THUDandBLUNDER wrote:

Nope, it is constant and equal to c in a vacuum. Through glass or water it is about 0.67c, IIRC.  

Ahh, yes. Sorry for the blunder.  Tongue

How about gravity ? Does gravity effect the speed of light, or just the path it travels ? Or is that just an illusion ?
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #7 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 5:57pm »

That depends on how you define things. According to Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, you can either consider spacetime to be flat (at least locally), in which case gravity is a force that acts on everything passing by, or you can consider spacetime to be curved by the presence of matter, in which case gravity is just an illusion caused by us expecting spacetime to be flat. I.e., light is just moving in a "straight line", but because the spacetime itself is curved, that straight line does not behave like we think it should. The discrepancy between the actual behavior of light (and other particles) and what we expect is what we think of as the force of gravity.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 5:41am »

on Feb 21st, 2007, 8:34am, rmsgrey wrote:

Such as letting your eye focus on the reflection of your face. Wink
IP Logged
Random Lack of Squiggily Lines
Senior Riddler

Everything before 7/1/2008 is now irrelevant.

« Reply #9 on: Mar 10th, 2007, 9:34pm »

gravity should effect light, after all, black holes' gravity is so strong it can suck up light.
IP Logged

You can only believe i what you can prove, and since you have nothing proven to cmpare to, you can believe in nothing.

I have ~50 posts to hack a "R" into a "D". Which one?
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Mar 10th, 2007, 10:04pm »

Actually, according to Einstein, gravity doesn't affect light at all - nor does it affect matter. Instead it affects spacetime, bending it so that a "straight" path bends. A black hole bends spacetime so extremely that within its event horizon, straight lines are bent into closed circles that do not extend beyond that horizon.

Black holes do not suck up light. "Straight lines" starting outside the horizon bend in ways that mean they stay outside the horizon. Light is not directly influenced by the black hole. It simply follows a straight path. Because of the bending of spacetime, this path will always bend to go around the black hole. Light inside the black hole follows the paths inside that bend so as to never leave the black hole.

So light inside stays inside, light outside stays outside, but all because there is no straight path that crosses the event horizon.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #11 on: Mar 11th, 2007, 8:42am »

on Mar 10th, 2007, 10:04pm, Icarus wrote:
Actually, according to Einstein, gravity doesn't affect light at all - nor does it affect matter. Instead it affects spacetime, bending it so that a "straight" path bends.
I don't think Einstein actually distinguishes which of the two cases is true. It depends on whether you prefer to look at space as Euclidean or non-Euclidean. Which is actually the case can't be distinguished by experiment.
IP Logged

Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #12 on: Mar 11th, 2007, 11:28am »

More correctly, Einstein posits that essentially both are true - that is, both view points are equally capable of describing reality. The only difference is how you interpret the equations - not what the equations are.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
srn437

the dark lord rises again....

« Reply #13 on: Sep 8th, 2007, 8:31pm »

When you move at the speed of light, your mass is real and imaginary, so is there anything to reflect? What if the same applies to the mirror? I'll try it after mastering telekinesis.
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #14 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 7:52am »

on Sep 8th, 2007, 8:31pm, srn347 wrote:
When you move at the speed of light, your mass is real and imaginary
That is true in as much that you can't move at the speed of light, and therefor your mass, aside from being real and imaginary, is also pink and invisible, has a strangely gooey texture, and tastes like electric sheep.
Particles with (rest)mass can't move at light speed. (To accelerate to light speed would take infinite energy and increase the mass infinitely)
IP Logged

srn437

« Reply #15 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 10:07am »

Does that mean I can or can't see my reflection?
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #16 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 10:48am »

on Sep 9th, 2007, 10:07am, srn347 wrote:
Does that mean I can or can't see my reflection?
Particles (objects) moving at the speed of light don't experience time; since it takes time for something to reflect, and to see, I'd say no.
IP Logged

Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #17 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 10:53am »

I would say no.  Because if you travel at the speed of light, your own clock slows down to the point of stopping, which means you would have no time to actually experience anything.  And anyway, the light wouldn't have the time to go to the mirror and back.
Assuming it were possible to move at the speed of light, you would only experience the time before you reach that speed and the time after you slow down a bit.  The time where you travel at the speed of light will pass in zero of your own time.
IP Logged
srn437

« Reply #18 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 11:41am »

Also, objects slower than light never move at the speed of light or faster and objects faster than light never slow down to the speed of light or slower. So what if I was faster than light? Or what if I let go of the mirror?
IP Logged
ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

"Double click on 'Yes'... Hey!"

« Reply #19 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 8:03pm »

on Sep 9th, 2007, 11:41am, srn347 wrote:
Also, objects slower than light never move at the speed of light or faster and objects faster than light never slow down to the speed of light or slower. So what if I was faster than light? Or what if I let go of the mirror?

It would be an interesting thing to play with if you could actually find a way to experiment... but the fun little thing about the speed of light is that matter doesn't want to travel that fast. Not sure if you have yet come across it, but as particles approach the speed of light, they gain mass so as to avoid going the speed of light.
IP Logged

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -Churchill
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #20 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 8:27pm »

on Sep 9th, 2007, 8:03pm, ima1trkpny wrote:
...they gain mass so as to avoid going the speed of light.

So if srn347's brain moves at the speed of light, as appears to be the case, can we conclude once and for all that it has zero mass?    

Undecided
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2007, 8:17am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

srn437

« Reply #21 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 8:30pm »

If thudingblunder moves up the evolutionary chain at the speed of light, does his brain become an ameoba in 1000 years?
IP Logged
ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

"Double click on 'Yes'... Hey!"

« Reply #22 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 8:39pm »

on Sep 9th, 2007, 8:27pm, ThudanBlunder wrote:

So if srn347's brain moves at the speed of light, does this mean it has no mass?

Roll Eyes Was trying to decide whether to answer that seriously or not for a few minutes... but so as not to confuse him I will speak the truth... ("I cannot tell a lie!")  Tongue His brain would become infinitely massive... somehow I have a feeling he doesn't have this problem yet...
on Sep 9th, 2007, 8:30pm, srn347 wrote:
If thudingblunder moves up the evolutionary chain at the speed of light, does his brain become an ameoba in 1000 years?

And that would be regression darling... the opposite of evolving... but who knows... ameoba's have a strange elegance in their simplicity, it is feasable they may one day take over the world  Tongue
IP Logged

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -Churchill
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #23 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 8:43pm »

on Sep 9th, 2007, 8:39pm, ima1trkpny wrote:
His brain would become infinitely massive..

Hence, by reductio ad copmpletely absurdum, its rest mass is precisely zero, as expected.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2007, 8:18am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

srn437

« Reply #24 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 8:48pm »

Ameoba's take over the world?! Humans are at the top of the chain and we have telekinesis(which hasn't been unlocked yet). http://www.wingmakers.co.nz/Teleportation.html
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »