wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - reCAPTCHA + why is CS slow on human computation? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 8:40pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: Icarus, Grimbal, Eigenray, SMQ, ThudnBlunder, william wu, towr)
   reCAPTCHA + why is CS slow on human computation?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: reCAPTCHA + why is CS slow on human computation?  (Read 824 times)
amichail
Senior Riddler

reCAPTCHA + why is CS slow on human computation?  
« on: May 25th, 2007, 12:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Very cool:

http://bmaurer.blogspot.com/2007/05/recaptcha-new-way-to-fight-spam.html

IMO, human computation is a field with enormous potential. But strangely, there are few publications on the topic. It's not taken seriously in computer science yet.

Or maybe it requires a different sort of thinking than what most computer scientists are accustomed to?

Or perhaps most computer scientists feel that human computation is cheating? For them, maybe there is no reward in this sort of research. They are more interested in something technically difficult, even if the results are much worse.
IP Logged

DropZap - a new kind of block elimination game
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Re: reCAPTCHA + why is CS slow on human computatio  
« Reply #1 on: May 26th, 2007, 4:35am »

I am sure the method is used already.

By whom?  Spammers of course.

They set up a web site A for some teenager games, ask you to register and type the funny letters.  In the background they request a registration on another web site B, they pass B's test image to the registration screen of A, get the answer, get it back to B and complete the registration.  This way they can automate the registering process.
IP Logged
SMQ
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: May 26th, 2007, 5:50am »

Very close, Grimbal, but in the "real world" website A almost always features "adult content", and requires a captcha for every login, not just for registration, so that many registrations to site B can be processed for each user of site A...

--SMQ
IP Logged

--SMQ

amichail
Senior Riddler

« Reply #3 on: May 26th, 2007, 5:54am »

I somehow doubt that computer scientists are avoiding this line of research because it might help spammers.

IP Logged

Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #4 on: May 26th, 2007, 9:04am »

This may no be why CS people don't study "human computation", but unfortunately, I think they are right about how spammer can and are abusing it for their own ends. If this idea spreads, I suspect it will be the death knell for CAPTCHA verification. After all, why use CAPTCHA when spammers have a way around it?

I would guess that the main reason "human computation" (as used here) isn't studied much is that it is difficult to accomplish effectively. It requires a large body of people who are willing to cooperate with it. This means that you need some kind of incentive. For the reCAPTCHA idea, I don't see one. Altruism will lead some to cooperate, but many more won't bother, particularly after they've done it a number of times. Instead of translating the 2nd word correctly, they will put in x's or the wrong word. On some applications, it would become a game for people to mistranslate. Error checking (having multiple people translate the same image) will help this, but with low cooperation, it requires so much load on the same translation to get a reliable output that it may not be worthwhile.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
amichail
Senior Riddler

« Reply #5 on: May 26th, 2007, 9:12am »

on May 26th, 2007, 9:04am, Icarus wrote:
This may no be why CS people don't study "human computation", but unfortunately, I think they are right about how spammer can and are abusing it for their own ends. If this idea spreads, I suspect it will be the death knell for CAPTCHA verification. After all, why use CAPTCHA when spammers have a way around it?

I would guess that the main reason "human computation" (as used here) isn't studied much is that it is difficult to accomplish effectively. It requires a large body of people who are willing to cooperate with it. This means that you need some kind of incentive. For the reCAPTCHA idea, I don't see one. Altruism will lead some to cooperate, but many more won't bother, particularly after they've done it a number of times. Instead of translating the 2nd word correctly, they will put in x's or the wrong word. On some applications, it would become a game for people to mistranslate. Error checking (having multiple people translate the same image) will help this, but with low cooperation, it requires so much load on the same translation to get a reliable output that it may not be worthwhile.

Even though there are ways to get around CAPTCHAs using human computation games, they are still very effective because they significantly reduce the rate at which spammers can get fake accounts.

As for altruism with respect to reCAPTCHAs, how would you know which word is which?  Presumably, the idea would be to make it really hard to know that.  Moreover, most users are clueless and would not even know what's going on anyway.
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2007, 9:13am by amichail » IP Logged

Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: May 26th, 2007, 1:33pm »

I see. Then I would consider a reCAPTCHA to be an abuse of your visitors - forcing them to do something that is of no benefit for them and is unrelated to their purpose in visiting. This sort of abusive behavior is not something I would like to see spread even farther than it already has. And for commercial operations, it is harmful in the long term. People learn when they've been taken advantage of, and it leaves a very negative impression.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
amichail
Senior Riddler

« Reply #7 on: May 26th, 2007, 1:44pm »

on May 26th, 2007, 1:33pm, Icarus wrote:
I see. Then I would consider a reCAPTCHA to be an abuse of your visitors - forcing them to do something that is of no benefit for them and is unrelated to their purpose in visiting. This sort of abusive behavior is not something I would like to see spread even farther than it already has. And for commercial operations, it is harmful in the long term. People learn when they've been taken advantage of, and it leaves a very negative impression.

You could say something like "please enter the two words above to prove that you are human and help digitize old texts".

But still, they would not know which word is which.
IP Logged

amichail
Senior Riddler

« Reply #8 on: May 26th, 2007, 2:01pm »

On a related note, try comparing the ESP Game with Google Image Labeler:

http://espgame.org/

http://images.google.com/imagelabeler/

Although Google Image Labeler is based on the ESP Game, its presentation is lacking.  

The ESP Game looks like a game while Google Image Labeler looks like work.

I think Google tried to downplay the game aspect to avoid misleading its users.
IP Logged

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #9 on: May 28th, 2007, 6:11am »

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20070524/174116.shtml
has an interesting link about the ESP Game.
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2007, 7:30am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Jun 3rd, 2007, 1:19pm »

Given what he says about not finding these false keywords when searching for actual images, I'd guess that Google is fully aware of the problem, and isn't putting labels on pictures unless they are agreed on by more than two people.  

His Tit-for-Tat comparison is telling. While these bots are cooperating with each other to get artificially high scores, they are dissenting to the larger project. There are ways in large population interactions like this that real cooperators can overcome the effect of cooperating-dissenters, provided the dissenters are a small enough group.

Google could help by looking for those responding repetitiously and ban them.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »