wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Square division riddle??   how  to solve »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 5:29pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: Grimbal, william wu, Eigenray, towr, Icarus, SMQ, ThudnBlunder)
   Square division riddle??   how  to solve
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Square division riddle??   how  to solve  (Read 941 times)
yankee2112

Square division riddle??   how  to solve  
« on: Mar 14th, 2008, 11:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Huh can anyone explain  how to solve the square division riddle in med.
IP Logged
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

Re: Square division riddle??   how  to s  
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 2:51am »

In answer to the question you thought you asked, "I would very much doubt it and for three reasons..."

Reason 1: "anyone" would include new born babies, puzzle-phobics, and so on.
Reason 2: This thread is (currently) not in "med", so even if "someone" did explain it they wouldn't be doing so in the medium thread. You might notice that the forum has been carefully and clearly set out into meaningful sections; one of those sections is called "medium".
Reason 3: You expect people to spend their time explaining something to you, but you didn't spend just a few moments yourself using the powerful search feature to see if the question may already have been asked?

Sorry if I sound a little unfriendly, but I am a high school teacher and I spend too much of my time teaching lazy and impatient children who want answers in an instant and when they do receive the answer they don't properly value it anyway.

Despite my grumblings, you might like to check out these two threads:
8 Jun 2002
4 Aug 2002 (although the image in the first post is no longer available the last post is relevant)
IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
yankee2112

Re: Square division riddle??   how  to solve  
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 6:37am »

In reply to the answer to the question I thought I asked....Thank You and the anwer (or links to the same) are valued.

However  I feel compelled to say more..... I am neither  child or lazy , as a matter of fact I took a break from approving the payroll of the company I run ( which by the way employs close to 400 ) to help my son. I say thanks to your reply though .......
1:I did not ask the question using proper English(sorry) though it was obviously understood
2:I did try to use thePOWERFUL search engine but evidently not correctly
3:a,    You are obviously a well educated intelligent person but your condidending attitude is far less than desirable, in fact a few of the seemingly brightest employees I've worked with left the company due to this kind of attitude and my not tolerating any of my managers treating our empoyees this way.
I wonder how many of these lazy uappreciative children have slipped through the cracks thanks to teachers such as yourself  making them feel inferior and not motivating them. I suggest you do a little self examination and ask yourself why you teach.....maybe you've just lost sight of this....
Sometimes you get more out of how you say something than what is said.

IP Logged
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 8:24am »

on Mar 15th, 2008, 6:37am, yankee2112 wrote:
However  I feel compelled to say more.....

Ditto.

My first point was intended as nothing more than humour, albeit particularly English humour.
My second point was directing new members, such as you and any other readers of this thread, as to the fact that there are more appropriate places to post problems, and this comment was certainly not intended to be construed as anything more than guidance.
My third point was perhaps the most contentious, as I realised only moments ago (which is why I've just returned to this thread) that the search feature can be tricky for new members to use: by default it only searches within the last 365 days so you need to modify that box to, say, 10000 days.

I also realise now, in rereading my post, that collectively it appears somewhat offensive; I suspect any one individual point would not have been taken in the same way.

My reference to lazy children was not directed towards you, as there is no way I could know anything about you from your single post. However, it is based on my observations of the changing culture I've seen in teaching in England at least. For people that are passionate about the subject they teach it is both frustrating and disappointing. I would be more concerned about a teacher that did not feel this way.

If I have caused personal offence I apologise; you may still feel that it is clouded in excuses. But I assure you that the last thing I want to do is dissuade you from joining this forum and getting to know us all a little better.

Perhaps I could make a suggestion for future though - and please do not take this the wrong way...

Due to the clinical nature of the internet and when attempting to obtain help it can be greatly supported by adding a little more to your post. Imagine for a moment how someone reading your first post in this thread might respond. Firstly they don't know who they are aiming their reply to: age, background, and so on. Secondly, even the regular members of this forum have not memorised every problem. It would have been helpful to restate the problem in your post and maybe outline your thoughts so far. You'd be surprised how much difference a statement like, "I've looked at the problem myself, but I don't know where to start. I'm actually asking this to help my son, so any pointers would be most appreciated."
IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #4 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 10:14am »

The problem with simply telling someone an answer is that with a few exceptions, it will go in one ear and out the other - half an hour later (or a week later) you find yourself answering the same question for them again...

If you have the time, it's better to explain how to find that answer so that the querent will not only have the answer, but also a context for it which will make it easier to remember...
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »