wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Sexual Harassment »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 12:25pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: towr, Grimbal, william wu, SMQ, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, Icarus)
   Sexual Harassment
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sexual Harassment  (Read 11808 times)
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

Sexual Harassment  
« on: Jul 21st, 2009, 4:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My department  is holding a public speaking contest for the employees, as part of the training plan to boost our language skills. We have 20 topics to choose from, and I chose Sexual Harassment : Who Are Responsible ?

Now, I know I'm supposed to do my own research and read up all the related stuff, but hey, I've got you guys to help me out.  Grin  Plus, I think it's a good topic for discussion here. Any takers ?

p/s : To the English gurus here, shouldn't the title be Sexual Harassment : Who Is Responsible ? Is there a difference ?
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Sexual Harassment  
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 5:42am »

on Jul 21st, 2009, 4:54am, JiNbOtAk wrote:
p/s : To the English gurus here, shouldn't the title be Sexual Harassment : Who Is Responsible ? Is there a difference ?
I think it's both allowed, since "who" can be a group as well as an individual. You can also have "the team is successful" and "the team are successful", for the same reason.  
"Who are" is probably better in this context, because it suggests that perhaps not merely the perpetrator or victim might be to blame, but that other people in the group might also play a role, e.g. as enabler for such behaviour. The social context is important.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Azgard
Senior Riddler

Just gonna drive around the planet, check it out.

« Reply #2 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 8:02am »

on Jul 21st, 2009, 5:42am, towr wrote:

I think it's both allowed, since "who" can be a group as well as an individual. You can also have "the team is successful" and "the team are successful", for the same reason.  
"Who are" is probably better in this context, because it suggests that perhaps not merely the perpetrator or victim might be to blame, but that other people in the group might also play a role, e.g. as enabler for such behaviour. The social context is important.

I would have to disagree. When you say "the team", it indicates one single team. No matter how many individuals the team is composed of, it is still "the" team, one team. You would have to say "the team is successful".  

As for "Who Are Responsible?" I would still go with "is". The who could be a group of individuals, but you are still referring to a group.  

I think you could say "Who Is Responsible?" or "Who Are Those Responsible?" but not "Who Are Responsible?"
IP Logged

Lots of opportunities are missed because they come dressed in overalls and look like work.
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 8:38am »

on Jul 21st, 2009, 8:02am, Azgard wrote:
I would have to disagree. When you say "the team", it indicates one single team. No matter how many individuals the team is composed of, it is still "the" team, one team. You would have to say "the team is successful".
Well, I in turn disagree with that. So there Tongue
So you would also be opposed to "The team played very well; they scored 100 points"? Because "they" can't refer to the singular "team"?

anyway, it seems to come down to regional differences:
http://www.google.nl/search?q="team+is+playing"+site:us     893 hits
http://www.google.nl/search?q="team+are+playing"+site:us     15200 hits
http://www.google.nl/search?q="team+is+playing"+site:uk     5400 hits
http://www.google.nl/search?q="team+are+playing"+site:uk     2970 hits
http://www.google.nl/search?q="team+is+playing"+site:ca     2260 hits
http://www.google.nl/search?q="team+are+playing"+site:ca     152 hits

So it seems the US has a preference for "are", the UK a slight one for "is" and Canada a large preference for "is".

Quote:
As for "Who Are Responsible?" I would still go with "is". The who could be a group of individuals, but you are still referring to a group.
You might be referring to John Mary and Andrew, whether they are a group isn't a certainty at all.

And looking to google for guidance once again,
http://www.google.nl/search?q="who+are+responsible"    6.270.000 hits
http://www.google.nl/search?q="who+is+responsible"    13.200.000 hits
So as far as the internet is concerned, it seems to be allowed.

But we're getting quickly off topic. Grin
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2009, 8:39am by towr » IP Logged

Azgard
Senior Riddler

Just gonna drive around the planet, check it out.

« Reply #4 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 9:02am »

on Jul 21st, 2009, 8:38am, towr wrote:

Well, I in turn disagree with that. So there Tongue
So you would also be opposed to "The team played very well; they scored 100 points"? Because "they" can't refer to the singular "team"?

This is different. The team is one team, but the they is referring to all the individual members of the team who did the scoring. I think. It all gets a little confusing because there is what sounds right because we hear it all the time, and then there is what is right by the rules of English, and the two don't necessarily agree all of the time...

Which is why going by what is popular or most common will not always yield the correct conclusion.

What I know is that if the article being referred to is singular (the team, one team) then it should be followed by a verb conjugated for a singular noun. If the article being referred to is plural (the individuals in the team) then it should be followed by a verb conjugated for a plural noun.

Quote:

You might be referring to John Mary and Andrew, whether they are a group isn't a certainty at all.

John, Mary, and Andrew may not consider themselves to be a group, may not even know each other, but they are three people being referred to together, they are being referred to as a group of people.

Could you give me an example of when you would refer to John, Mary and Andrew for the same thing but not as a group of some sort?
IP Logged

Lots of opportunities are missed because they come dressed in overalls and look like work.
Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 9:49am »

My department  is holding a public speaking contest for the employees, as part of the training plan to boost our language skills.

I've some experience with public speaking.

Quote:

Grin  Plus, I think it's a good topic for discussion here. Any takers ?

It's a good topic to think and talk about.

Let's start with:

- Define the term sexual harassment  
- Identify examples of sexual harassment  
- Consider appropriate responses to sexual harassment  

How do you make others understand that sexual harassment is any unwanted physical or verbal advances that have sexual overtones?

How common is sexual harassment in the schools? in the workplace?

kind of behavior that is usually considered a form of sexual harassment:

- Sexual jokes  
- Touching in an inappropriate way  
- Inappropriate gestures  
- Spreading rumors about another person’s sexual behavior  

Do you think there is a relationship between self-esteem and sexual harassment? Do you think people with low self-esteem would be more likely to be the harasser, the victim, or both? Give facts to support your ideas  
IP Logged

If we want to understand our world — or how to change it — we must first understand the rational choices that shape it.
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 9:52am »

on Jul 21st, 2009, 9:02am, Azgard wrote:
This is different.
It isn't different at all. Following the grammar books "they" is only correct if it refers back to a plural.  

Quote:
It all gets a little confusing because there is what sounds right because we hear it all the time, and then there is what is right by the rules of English, and the two don't necessarily agree all of the time...
Euhm, there aren't any written-in-stone rules. The people define the language, it does not exist independent from them. Language is an emergent system; fluid and defined by conventional use. No matter how much a small subspecies of linguists might wish otherwise. Whatever people generally do must be correct. And while this may be different for written and spoken language, it's still not set in stone in either case. Just consider that language now isn't the same as it was hundreds of years ago. The English don't speak and write as Chaucer once did.  
What, objectively, would the unchanging, eternal and possibly divine rules of English be, anyway?  

Quote:
Could you give me an example of when you would refer to John, Mary and Andrew for the same thing but not as a group of some sort?
"Who are these hypothetical people?"  
"John, Mary and Andrew."

"Who" is modified by expectation of number. And somewhat the same thing goes for team and similar words.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2009, 9:54am by towr » IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 10:11am »

Here, from AskOxford's Ask the Experts
Quote:
Should I use a singular or a plural verb with collective nouns such as 'government', 'committee', and 'family'?

Such nouns are used to refer both to a whole group as a singular entity, and to the members of the group. The context may therefore require flexibility: you might write:
     The committee has now come to a decision.
but you could hardly use a singular verb in
     The committee have now taken their seats.
(A pedant might insist on writing 'The members of the committee have now taken their seats.')

In some contexts it is natural and idiomatic to use a plural verb with a noun which is singular in form:
     I have invited my family to tea and they are coming on Friday
     Leeds United are winning: they have just scored.
IP Logged

Noke Lieu
Uberpuzzler

pen... paper... let's go! (and bit of plastic)

« Reply #8 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 3:52pm »

eric.ed.gov

not the best, but far from the worst.

The first thing that you need to know is you topic.
The second thing that you need to think about is your audience... includes age, education, cultural background...  
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2009, 3:59pm by Noke Lieu » IP Logged

a shade of wit and the art of farce.
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #9 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 8:19pm »

My department  is holding a public speaking contest for the employees, as part of the training plan to boost our language skills. We have 20 topics to choose from, and I chose Sexual Harassment : Who Are Responsible ?

Is there much sexual harassment in Malaysia, a country whose official religion is Islam and where homosexuality is illegal? Unless you are referring to the decadent West or the local infidels, perhaps a better title might be:

SEXUAL HARASSMENT: WHERE IS IT AND HOW CAN I GET SOME?   Grin

IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #10 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 10:45pm »

on Jul 21st, 2009, 8:38am, towr wrote:
But we're getting quickly off topic. Grin

I had that notion when I added the post script.  Tongue

And thanks Noke, for the link. I'll make sure to look it up.

In answer to T&B, homosexuality is not the only thing illegal here, but I guess you already know that. But when we're talking bout sexual harassment, how do you define it ? What would you consider to be sexual harassment, if it was done to you ?
IP Logged

Noke Lieu
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #11 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 11:38pm »

that one is kinda tricky.
There are guide lines for that sort of thing.
Essentially sexual harrasment can be:

Unwanted Unwanted Unwanted Unwanted Unwanted Unwanted Unwanted Unwanted Unwanted Unwanted Unwanted Unwanted Unwanted Unwanted
advances of a sexual nature
Repeated discrimination (like bullying) based on sexual characteristics.
Making people feel uncomfortable about things associated with their gender, sex, sexual orientation, sexual preferences and practices. Or lack thereof.  

Basically, behaviour that would get you in trouble with your mum, but your stereotypical same-sex friends would think was funny.  

What would it take for me to feel sexually harrassed? Being male, it's easier to feel discriminated against, rather than harrassed. Why?
The whole unwanted advances thing. And I'm not exactly shy about setting soeone straight- "No. No. No. Good God no. Not even if you were the only other living thing, and all the servers in all the world were down."

oh, eric will give you a buunch of different papers on the matter. as would pubmed. Just that eric has more digests and conference proceedings on it- use the full text toggle in your search.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2009, 11:40pm by Noke Lieu » IP Logged

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #12 on: Jul 23rd, 2009, 6:05am »

on Jul 21st, 2009, 10:45pm, JiNbOtAk wrote:

In answer to T&B, homosexuality is not the only thing illegal here, but I guess you already know that.... what would you consider to be sexual harassment, if it was done to you ?

But you have chosen to talk about sexual harassment, and not other types. So that law would tend to put a damper on certain types of harassers.  

I remember, as a libidinous twentysomething who hadn't scored with a chick for a few months, feeling really annoyed when some promiscuous, militantly moustachioed macho gay would come sidling up to me in a (straight) bar, with a chat-up line like, "You waiting for somebody?"

IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #13 on: Jul 23rd, 2009, 6:24am »

on Jul 23rd, 2009, 6:05am, ThudanBlunder wrote:
I remember, as a libidinous twentysomething who hadn't scored with a chick for a few months, feeling really annoyed when some promiscuous, militantly moustachioed macho gay would come sidling up to me in a (straight) bar, with a chat-up line like, "You waiting for somebody?"
So, is trying to chat someone up in a bar a sexual harassment?  
Would it have been any less annoying if you had been a stunning young woman and he had been straight? I don't really see the difference it makes.
IP Logged

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #14 on: Jul 23rd, 2009, 8:05pm »

on Jul 23rd, 2009, 6:24am, towr wrote:

So, is trying to chat someone up in a bar a sexual harassment?  
Would it have been any less annoying if you had been a stunning young woman and he had been straight? I don't really see the difference it makes.

As I am not one, I can't speak for stunning young women receiving unwanted attention from men.
And, sad to say, I have hardly ever been chatted-up by women, stunning or otherwise.  
Thus, I have confined my comments to my own experiences.

IP Logged

Noke Lieu
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #15 on: Jul 23rd, 2009, 9:32pm »

I have.
And mostly, they're very clumsy at it.
Perhaps I only notice the clumsiness when I was not interested, or tried to make them earn it.

It woudl also appear that girls often are so shamed by actually trying that they don't get around to the harrassment stage.

On the other had, there have been a few gentlemen callers expressing their interest. A swift 'set them straight' has usually done the trick, though I confess that on occassion, I have taken advantage of the situation. Hell, if some fella wants to buy me a drink, then sure. There's no reciprocal part to that contract. Perfect.

The closest I've ever felt to harrassed would be by groups of school girls. They know no shame. But whilst that's vaguely flattering, it's mostly awkward.
IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #16 on: Jul 24th, 2009, 12:44am »

on Jul 23rd, 2009, 8:05pm, ThudanBlunder wrote:
As I am not one, I can't speak for stunning young women receiving unwanted attention from men.
And, sad to say, I have hardly ever been chatted-up by women, stunning or otherwise.  
Thus, I have confined my comments to my own experiences.
Way to avoid the question.

Now, is trying to chat someone up in a bar sexual harassment or not? Or is it only sexual harassment when a gay man does it to you, but not when you do it to women? How does someone avoid being an harasser?  

When you stated in your second to last post that outlawing homosexuality would put a damper on some types of sexual harassment (such as gay men hitting on you), was that something you'd be in favour of? Or was it more a statement along the line of "if everybody would just die, there would finally be world peace"; just a matter of fact?
IP Logged

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #17 on: Jul 24th, 2009, 1:45am »

on Jul 24th, 2009, 12:44am, towr wrote:

Way to avoid the question.

Perhaps I just don't have as much spare time on my hands as you.

Quote:
Now, is trying to chat someone up in a bar sexual harassment or not? Or is it only sexual harassment when a gay man does it to you, but not when you do it to women?

That would depend on the two people involved. If one person feels harassed then it is harassment, by definition. I felt annoyed when I couldn't sit quietly in a bar without having to reject the unwanted advances of 'promiscuous, militantly moustachioed macho gays' who were obviously out for a one-night stand. This was partly because I was a young, libidinous, straight male who hadn't scored with a chick in a while and partly because I had given them no encouragement to act so. I try to tell an amusing anecdote and all you can do is analyse it with a Karnaugh map!

Quote:

How does someone avoid being an harasser?

Use body language, eye contact.  

Quote:

When you stated in your second to last post that outlawing homosexuality would put a damper on some types of sexual harassment (such as gay men hitting on you), was that something you'd be in favour of?

I have no opinion on the matter. And stop trying to put words in my mouth. Have you nothing better to do?

Quote:

Or was it more a statement along the line of "if everybody would just die, there would finally be world peace"; just a matter of fact?

No, it is a matter of conjecture.

« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2009, 8:30pm by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #18 on: Jul 24th, 2009, 2:29am »

on Jul 24th, 2009, 1:45am, ThudanBlunder wrote:
I try to tell an amusing anecdote and all you can do is analyse it with a Karnaugh map!
Wow, really? And without even knowing what a Karnaugh map is, I must be a genius!

Quote:
And stop trying to put words in my mouth.
Hah, you should have seen the previous version. Roll Eyes
I hardly think I'm at fault for asking some clarification of whether you intended the (apparently inadvertent)  suggestion that went out from that post. And perhaps you're rightfully annoyed that I should even consider it a possibility (or perhaps it just seems like you're annoyed), but I think asking is better than that I continue to consider it a possibility.
So, well, thanks. And apologies.
IP Logged

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #19 on: Jul 26th, 2009, 12:25am »

on Jul 24th, 2009, 2:29am, towr wrote:

Wow, really? And without even knowing what a Karnaugh map is, I must be a genius!

With or without such a map, by the usual definition(s), I have no doubt that you are.  

Quote:

I hardly think I'm at fault for asking some clarification of whether you intended the (apparently inadvertent)  suggestion that went out from that post. And perhaps you're rightfully annoyed that I should even consider it a possibility (or perhaps it just seems like you're annoyed), but I think asking is better than that I continue to consider it a possibility.
So, well, thanks. And apologies.

And my apologies to you for being rather sharp.  
But, after accusing me of avoiding the question, you then seemed to fire a fusillade of further questions at me like a Spanish Inquisitor interrogating a heretic before burning him. Anyway, I wouldn't like to be the one to shout, "Throw another faggot on the fire!" in your hearing. LOL  

« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2009, 4:37am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #20 on: Jul 27th, 2009, 7:04am »

on Jul 23rd, 2009, 6:05am, ThudanBlunder wrote:
I remember, as a libidinous twentysomething who hadn't scored with a chick for a few months...
Remind us again T&B, how long ago was that ?  Tongue

on Jul 23rd, 2009, 9:32pm, Noke Lieu wrote:
I have.
And mostly, they're very clumsy at it.
Perhaps I only notice the clumsiness when I was not interested, or tried to make them earn it.
It's so refreshing to read such a modest admission.  Roll Eyes

on Jul 23rd, 2009, 9:32pm, Noke Lieu wrote:
The closest I've ever felt to harrassed would be by groups of school girls. They know no shame. But whilst that's vaguely flattering, it's mostly awkward.

So that's it ? It's harassing when it gets awkward ?
IP Logged

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #21 on: Jul 27th, 2009, 6:12pm »

on Jul 27th, 2009, 7:04am, JiNbOtAk wrote:

Remind us again T&B, how long ago was that ?  Tongue

I can't do something for a third time if I haven't already done it twice.  Tongue  

It was in those halcyon days of yore, when young ladies saw no reason to take any new-fangled pills for nothing and their mothers insisted, "If you can't be good, be careful".  Wink

« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2009, 6:59am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

Noke Lieu
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #22 on: Jul 28th, 2009, 1:49am »

What can I say? I'm proably the most modest guy you'll meet. Grin  

..when it gets awkward, and then the other party doesn't stop. And contiues to keep you in that awkward state. That's harrassment.  
I suppose.
IP Logged

wade32

If you spit in the wind, you'll get wet!

« Reply #23 on: Apr 6th, 2012, 7:54pm »

I would take some accounts of sexual harrassement in the paper or on the net and integrate it into my speech.  People can relate to real events.
IP Logged
RichardL

« Reply #24 on: Jul 30th, 2012, 3:59am »

Sexual Harassment ! : Who Is Responsible ? - Perfect Title
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »