wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - How much time should be spent before giving up »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 11:38am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, Grimbal, william wu, SMQ, towr, Icarus, Eigenray)
   How much time should be spent before giving up
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How much time should be spent before giving up  (Read 5309 times)
kg

How much time should be spent before giving up  
« on: Oct 30th, 2009, 4:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi All,

I am having a weird problem. I see lot of problems in this forum and try to solve them but i get stuck a lot of times but I am not able to give up LOL.  

I want to figure  out the right time one should spend on solving a problem and give up after some time ?

Any ideas how to figure that ?
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

Re: How much time should be spent before giving up  
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31st, 2009, 8:11am »

It depends on how much spare time you have, how badly you want to achieve a solution, and whether you think you're able to make any progress.

Andrew Wiles famously spent 7 years on one problem - and then took a bit longer fixing the hole in his solution - so there are times when sticking with a problem gets you there. On the other hand, unless it's something like "P=NP" you're unlikely to get much reward beyond personal satisfaction...
IP Logged
Benny
Uberpuzzler

Re: How much time should be spent before giving up  
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31st, 2009, 10:31am »

I would try to review the theory or the tools that would be necessary to solve that problem

Otherwise, I would ask for help ... but I'd make sure I gave a good attempt, my best shot at the problem  

I know how you feel, I can relate to you because I have a similar problem with programming.

I love math, but I don't really enjoy programming. I had to make myself enjoy it and I've asked my math prof for advice  

If you want to improve your skills in math and programming, then work on the  Project Euler

Don't forget to view the problems

Here's an article that inspired me.

13 world class mathematicians tell how they approach mathematical research and problems  

I like Zeilberger's T-shirt

Check out the Putnam problems + solutions for practice

http://www.unl.edu/amc/a-activities/a7-problems/putnamindex.shtml

IP Logged

If we want to understand our world — or how to change it — we must first understand the rational choices that shape it.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »