wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - What Bill Gates is afraid of »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 5:01pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: Grimbal, Eigenray, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, towr, william wu, SMQ)
   What Bill Gates is afraid of
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What Bill Gates is afraid of  (Read 8200 times)
Benny
Uberpuzzler

What Bill Gates is afraid of  
« on: Sep 1st, 2010, 1:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I like the title. I'm considering dropping Microsoft, so I got curious about the following article:

Quote:

Imagine a world where the PC you buy today, will last 10 or 15 years.

And... It will NEVER need upgrading. Or even fixing

One specifc company is already working on this exact premise. And it's technology that could bring down Microsoft.

Quote:

Computing resources would then be a metered service, similar to public utilities like electricity, water or the telephone.

Read more ...

The definition of a cluster computer will depend on who you ask, but in the context of the above article, it sounds good, convenient.

What do you, guys, think?

IP Logged

If we want to understand our world — or how to change it — we must first understand the rational choices that shape it.
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: What Bill Gates is afraid of  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 1st, 2010, 2:30pm »

I'd rather own my computer, rather than have to depend on the whims of others what I can and can't do with it.

[edit]Also; beware of internet pages offering stocks. Definite red flag, there.[/edit]
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2010, 2:33pm by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #2 on: Sep 3rd, 2010, 6:40am »

I came across a very similar idea maybe 5 years ago now - rather than a replacement PC, a replacement games console that streams player input to a remote cluster which then streams back video of the game in action rather than gameworld data that your local device has to interpret into (among other things) game footage.

Instead of needing expensive kit to run the game, you'd just need a good internet connection and some cheap kit.

Of course, there are drawbacks - you're looking at similar infrastructure to an MMO for even the simplest single-player games, and, while millions are willing to spend money to play WoW etc, that still leaves a lot of gamers unwilling to...  

Anyway, yeah, it's an idea that's been around for a while in one form or another, and I expect it will get introduced sooner or later - there are already games and utilities like Google documents that are halfway there - an obvious step is for cutting edge online games to start reducing the min spec by letting the servers take some of the load (though the money to run the server farms would have to come from somewhere...)
IP Logged
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Sep 3rd, 2010, 10:10am »

At the time of terminals all application worked like that.  Every single keystroke was sent to a central computer and it returned any update to what is displayed on the screen.  I believe some airline reservation systems still can work on that mode.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2010, 10:11am by Grimbal » IP Logged
cartoonle

« Reply #4 on: Dec 1st, 2012, 11:32am »

I don't believe that that can happen. Computer industry will always find something that will force us to buy something new on regular basis...
IP Logged

friv - something i've built
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 11:30am »

Perhaps Bill is more afraid of divorcing his wife. Would he really have to give Melinda half of his assets?
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2013, 2:08pm by alien2 » IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #6 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 12:02pm »

They might have a prenuptial contract.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
wakiza33

industrial Engineer // Berkeley Alumnus

« Reply #7 on: Sep 12th, 2014, 11:54am »

One danger of this type of application lies within user control.  

Facebook is a decent example. Because we've all come to rely fairly heavily on it as a social communication platform, we are essentially powerless to its small changes in privacy settings. If there is one we don't like, its 'tough luck' to a degree. Yet, Facebook still has competitors and we can log off and deactivate at any time. It's value to us limits us rationally.  

However, if that rationale were to extend to our entire computing process, we'd be much more handicapped. If we dislike something like meta-data collection, we are essentially handcuffed because our livelihood and our methods of literally putting food on our tables would be within 'Microsoft's' system. If news came out that they were misusing data, ect, we would be nearly powerless. I would much rather have a psychical device I can destroy and replace, ect.
IP Logged

Binder Jetting Engineer
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #8 on: Sep 13th, 2014, 6:36am »

Ironically, Microsoft (among others) has embraced this model for some of their software with the "thin client" option - among other things, allowing a site license to be policed more easily by restricting it to one installed copy and any number of remote clients that can connect to that copy, rather than multiple installed copies.

Microsoft also provides cloud computing services (a couple of years ago, they were second to Amazon in the field, but that may have changed since)

The model that appears to be emerging is not of a terminal with a dedicated connection to a single server farm, but of a fairly light PC connecting to a range of different servers and sites for different tasks - so if one service disappoints in some way, you can shift allegiance.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »