wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - suggestions required »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 10:56pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: Eigenray, william wu, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, Icarus, towr, SMQ)
   suggestions required
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: suggestions required  (Read 2717 times)
priya_singhal

suggestions required  
« on: Sep 8th, 2010, 8:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I wanted to ask which language I should choose from java/asp/php etc so that the project would help me get a  job  too...

suggestions are welcomed do post in...

I was thinking of making a project on peer to peer file tranfer...

tell me whether its good or not... and also if I can improve it....

Please guys..SUGGEST  

if u have any other idea for project then please tell...
IP Logged
TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

I am no special. I am only passionately curious.

Re: suggestions required  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 8th, 2010, 1:14pm »

on Sep 8th, 2010, 8:50am, priya_singhal wrote:
I wanted to ask which language I should choose from java/asp/php etc so that the project would help me get a  job  too...

Which language you choose is more or less immaterial. Rather, how you went about doing your project and things you learned from it, is what matters. For example, if you see yourself as front end engineer, you would like to know
1] What is HTML4? What is HTML5? What does HTML5 give me different from HTML4?
2] How do I use CSS in HTML? What is CSS3?
3] What is the box model problem in IE? What are the various CSS hacks to avoid that problem?
4] How does javascript work? What is AJAX?
etc.

If you see yourself as backend engineer, you would like to know
1] What is MVC architecture?  
2] What is HTTP GET/POST? (knowing this for front end is good as well)
3] What is REST API? (knowing this for front end is good as well)
4] What is XSS/XSRF attack? (knowing this for front end is good as well)
5] What is SQL injection? How to avoid SQL injection?
6] How does one communicate with a database? (being a backend engineer means you should be good with databases)
7] How do I use transactions? Why are transactions important? When and how can I support concurrency? If you prefer to use MySQL as your backend, then knowing things like difference between MyISAM, In-Memory, InnoDB helps.
8] What is memcached? (It is a very specific product, but the basic idea is simple, so knowing about it definitely helps)
etc.

You don't have to know all of the above upfront or anything like that. Mostly, you learn and understand the use of each of the above mentioned items with experience. But, the basic point I am trying to make here is, target what you would like to learn from your project and do not give importance to the language being used.

Quote:
I was thinking of making a project on peer to peer file tranfer...

Any project is a good project as long as you enjoy doing it and learn something out of it. If it helps, I will list out a few projects that I had done during my college years and that seems tractable within a project duration :

1] Implementation of a basic FTP client ( http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc765 ) (in Java)
2] Implementation of a messenger client (in Java)

For 1, when I say basic, I really mean basic. We didn't support many things from the spec. However, the goal here was to be able to do at least a simple file transfer with an already existing ftp client (which was just a confirmation that we understood something about the protocol Tongue)

Java's socket programming library made it really easy to create these programs. Both 1 and 2 were built with the intention to learn socket programming and various issues involved in the implementation. For example, if you start building a messenger you will quickly run into issues like how to serialize the data properly so that its not messed up. Here, there is a natural use of serialization formats like XML and JSON ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON ).  

3] A teaching tool aid for computer practicals. (In Java)

This was an extension of the messenger code that we had done. Here, a teacher will be able to draw algo flow charts on one screen that will be immediately transferred to the screens of all the students attending the practicals. We also supported question-answering system where-in a student can ask question on the screen itself and teacher can answer it again on the screen. We then supported, saving this entire session and re-playability. Here, we learnt a lot of things. A] Java's swing architecture, B] various issues involved with just implementing the idea like how to serialize an entire session of such a practical and how to enable replay?

4] Neural Network Simulator

This is a simulator software for various types of neural networks. If you don't know what they are, just leave it at that. You don't have to worry about this. Again here, the motivation to do this project was to learn about neural networks and nothing more.

To regurgitate, "target what you would like to learn from your project".

Try to have fun with your project and let your interviewers know that you had fun with it and what all you learnt from it.  

-- AI
IP Logged

Self discovery comes when a man measures himself against an obstacle - Antoine de Saint Exupery
priya_singhal

Re: suggestions required  
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11th, 2010, 5:29am »

@ Tenali raman  

Thank you very very much ....
It will be a great help..
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »