wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Ringtone during Chess ? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 5:06pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: SMQ, Grimbal, william wu, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, towr)
   Ringtone during Chess ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ringtone during Chess ?  (Read 5833 times)
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

Ringtone during Chess ?  
« on: Oct 8th, 2010, 12:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2010/10/8/lifefocus/7172 414&sec=lifefocus

I didn't know it's an offense. Why the heck though ??
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Ringtone during Chess ?  
« Reply #1 on: Oct 8th, 2010, 1:33am »

Are you asking why they're an offense?
It breaks people's concentration. You're not allowed to distract other players.
Aside from that, I would think you'd be banned from having any device on your person that could run a chess-program.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #2 on: Oct 8th, 2010, 9:43am »

From the sound of things, it's acceptable to have a mobile phone set on silent with you (which rules out the "communication channel" and "computational device" reasons for the penalty).

Based on the conditions for incurring a loss, it's the causing of a disruption that's an issue, not any other concern.
IP Logged
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14th, 2010, 4:25am »

Yeah..I guess you can't concentrate with any noise. Is that the reason why tennis game are silent as well ?  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14th, 2010, 5:53am »

on Oct 14th, 2010, 4:25am, JiNbOtAk wrote:
Yeah..I guess you can't concentrate with any noise. Is that the reason why tennis game are silent as well ?  Roll Eyes
It's why the public has to be quiet while they're actually playing, yes. Between serve and point, the audience is to keep their traps shut. And perhaps some day they'll tell the female players (in particular) to stop groaning so abominably as well.  
Although, really, a physical sport doesn't tend to require as much concentration, or the same kind, as a mental sport like chess.
IP Logged

rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Oct 14th, 2010, 9:25am »

The grunting/moaning in female tennis has been the subject of debate from time to time. On the one hand, it's potentially distracting for the player's opponent; on the other, it helps the player herself perform better.

Having a ringing phone improve one's chess-playing ability would almost certainly involve some form of cheating, so...
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Oct 14th, 2010, 9:51am »

on Oct 14th, 2010, 9:25am, rmsgrey wrote:
on the other, it helps the player herself perform better.
Does it really, though? I mean, I'll believe they believe it does, and perhaps because of that they would play worse without grunting. But if they didn't believe it improved their game, I suspect they would play just as well if not better without wasting that extra energy in making noise.
IP Logged

Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Oct 15th, 2010, 7:20am »

Logically, any restriction can affect the player's performance only negatively (or make no difference).  This should be the case whether the restriction is to ban groaning or to make it mandatory.

But then, it is possible their coach is advising them to stop that bad habit, but they rebel against it.
IP Logged
Three Hands
Uberpuzzler

Reucserru+Oymai

« Reply #8 on: Oct 15th, 2010, 7:55am »

on Oct 14th, 2010, 9:51am, towr wrote:

Does it really, though? I mean, I'll believe they believe it does, and perhaps because of that they would play worse without grunting. But if they didn't believe it improved their game, I suspect they would play just as well if not better without wasting that extra energy in making noise.

Following the principle of in martial arts where, by shouting/grunting/generally making a loud inarticulate sound is trained as a way of helping focus all the energy into a single attack, there may be a lot to be said for assisting the focus on a powerful stroke in tennis.

I think the idea is that, as you exhale sharply, it helps relax the shoulders while engaging the core, so gets the muscles to work as required. Creating a sound is technically superfluous, but is a simple way of focusing the breathing.
IP Logged
JohanC
Senior Riddler

« Reply #9 on: Oct 15th, 2010, 12:53pm »

on Oct 14th, 2010, 9:51am, towr wrote:

Coincidently, this is a topic of a very recent study at the university of British Columbia. Their conclusion seems to be that grunting strongly distracts the opponent.
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Oct 15th, 2010, 3:41pm »

on Oct 15th, 2010, 12:53pm, JohanC wrote:

Coincidently, this is a topic of a very recent study at the university of British Columbia. Their conclusion seems to be that grunting strongly distracts the opponent.
Not very sports(wo)manship-like, then.

on Oct 15th, 2010, 7:55am, Three Hands wrote:
Following the principle of in martial arts where, by shouting/grunting/generally making a loud inarticulate sound is trained as a way of helping focus all the energy into a single attack, there may be a lot to be said for assisting the focus on a powerful stroke in tennis.

I think the idea is that, as you exhale sharply, it helps relax the shoulders while engaging the core, so gets the muscles to work as required. Creating a sound is technically superfluous, but is a simple way of focusing the breathing.
That sounds vaguely plausible, but then, there's also a lot of pseudoscience that sounds vaguely plausible. The questions is whether anyone actually bothered (or cared) to find out if it's true, and thus separated the science from the pseudo. On the other hand, that would be probably a difficult subject to research (because to compare, you had to properly retrain a group of people to not shout. Otherwise you'd compare a group doing what they're trained to do with a group being told not to do what they're trained to do.)

This essay suggests different schools of martial arts think differently about the issue. So that's something. (Although I've only had a chance to glance at it so far.)
IP Logged

Three Hands
Uberpuzzler

Reucserru+Oymai

« Reply #11 on: Oct 16th, 2010, 5:43am »

Towr, after taking a read through the article, although there are some who seem to disagree with the idea of a sharp exhalation during a strike, the main area of contention seems to be more whether the exhalation should also generate a sound or not.

Personally, I'm more inclined to the view that accompanying a strike with a shout or grunt is unnecessary for a strong technique, but that's based more on my own experience (I've been trained in two different schools of karate so far, one which does promote the use of a kiai, or shout, and one that does not) than any scientific study or survey of peers. I do find that strikes tend to feel stronger when accompanied by an exhalation, though, so from experience I appreciate the benefits of using correct breathing. Incidentally, one of the main reasons for the kiai is to intimidate an opponent, and so put them off - possibly similar to the benefit of grunting in tennis.

Presumably, some comparison could be made between those that shout and those that do not shout, as per their training, in terms of if there is any variation in effectiveness of their techniques. Maybe not as clear-cut as the re-training approach, but a bit more manageable.
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #12 on: Oct 16th, 2010, 8:06am »

A thought occurs:

Leaving aside the question of whether always stroking on an exhalation produces better results than always stroking on an inhalation, or always with lungs full or always with lungs empty, being consistently at the same point in the breathing cycle at the moment you make your stroke will eliminate one variable. A more consistent tennis stroke will tend to improve play.
IP Logged
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #13 on: Oct 19th, 2010, 8:06pm »

I find the fact that tennis games are conducted in silence to improve the concentration a bit funny; maybe because I'm comparing it to badminton, which is more common here. Badminton games are usually jam-packed shouts and cheering during game, in fact you can even see the faces of the players straining to concentrate despite the cheering and heckling.  

Thus, I think the grunting/moaning thing won't have any psychological effect on the opponent, not at the international level anyway.
IP Logged

Noke Lieu
Uberpuzzler

pen... paper... let's go! (and bit of plastic)

« Reply #14 on: Oct 21st, 2010, 7:52pm »

on Oct 16th, 2010, 5:43am, Three Hands wrote:

Presumably, some comparison could be made between those that shout and those that do not shout, as per their training, in terms of if there is any variation in effectiveness of their techniques. Maybe not as clear-cut as the re-training approach, but a bit more manageable.

To me, it's all about tensing the stomach, locking your core. This allows more efficient transfer of power to the legs. Then again, I'm a judoka, and we look for different things.  
Big sharp kiai for big techniques, and the other 'dadadada' type which gives a twitch that's more unpredicatble, therefore harder to defend against.
IP Logged

a shade of wit and the art of farce.
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #15 on: Oct 25th, 2010, 8:19am »

Just wondering:  do golf players grunt?  And discus or javelin throwers?  Where there are no opponents.
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2010, 8:20am by Grimbal » IP Logged
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #16 on: Oct 26th, 2010, 6:14am »

Err..don't think so with golf. Definitely not when putting.  Roll Eyes

A friend who's a discus thrower tend to grunt when throwing, sometimes even shouting. I guess it's the same with javelin and hammer throwers..
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »