wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Why do some users never come back to this site »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 1:25am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, towr, Icarus, Eigenray, william wu, SMQ, Grimbal)
   Why do some users never come back to this site
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Why do some users never come back to this site  (Read 8245 times)
mistaken_id

Why do some users never come back to this site  
« on: Oct 21st, 2012, 12:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

If you were to come up with a list of reasons, of why users never come back to this site (or login very infrequently). What would they be?
IP Logged
Noke Lieu
Uberpuzzler

pen... paper... let's go! (and bit of plastic)

Re: Why do some users never come back to this site  
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22nd, 2012, 7:26pm »

#1. Because they don't really exist in the first place.

Others may include:

It's not as busy as it once was, so they're not getting the immediate responses that they're used to/expect in other settings.

They've got other things to do. I've known at least 2 past members (JeffzDa and noodle). They've rolled onto other things and the forum isn't as pertinent for them anymore. Even I find it hard to check in as much as I used to- but that's countered by there not being as much to check in on.

Personality clashes. In such a collection of fine minds (in which I consider myself to be an underling! That's some collection!) there's bound to be some tensions. Sometimes, these clashes have boiled over to people quitting.  Cry

IP Logged

a shade of wit and the art of farce.
mistaken_id

« Reply #2 on: Oct 23rd, 2012, 4:44pm »

Hey, thanks for responding. Yup, the quality of discussions (atleast cs section) was so high in the beginning. Every question was well thought, description was clear, and answers were given by some of the brightest people. When I prepared for my interviews, I used to browse oldest questions (asked during ~2002,3,4) and that was much better than reading any other forums online

Now, it is more used for posting homework/interview questions, without searching for the question if it is already on the site.  

I wonder if the quality can be improved, by moderators enforcing strict rules, and not allowing users to ask till they earn some reputation(like stackoverflow, earn by doing some basic things, searching for questions)
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2012, 4:44pm by mistaken_id » IP Logged
benmartorano

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25th, 2012, 3:33pm »

Yeah it does seem really slow. i would come back more if it was busier.... kind of a catch 22
IP Logged
paulstrahann

« Reply #4 on: Feb 1st, 2013, 8:43pm »

I think every user's have to get some thing different in this site but some individual not achieve goal, I mean not understand the importance of this platform. Frankly speaking I enjoy this platform lots and I request that individual to stay here and feel free to discuss or get some quality information.
IP Logged
nakli

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 6th, 2013, 2:07am »

Well for a start troll/spam posts like "paulstrahann" above could be a reason.  Tongue

Jokes apart, I have been a regular member since past 5+ years or so, but have been so intimidated by the quality of earlier posts that I rarely make a post.

Also personally I find that classical puzzles have this quality of sounding really simple and their solutions have that 'aha' moment! Such puzzles are hard to make and I believe most of them are already listed here. Complex puzzles are not very appealing and a plenty, like those CS interview questions, which although require logical thinking, are not as much fun mostly due to a lack of real world analogy. For ex: 'ghetto encryption' in terms of data sharing on LAN computers is not as exciting and widely appealing as the version here.

Also I believe strongly that the structure of a classical "forum" is really broken and though closely moderated by towr etc still this forum is a mess with incomplete, unanswered puzzles that might be interesting but are not discoverable. Formats such as stackoverflow overocme this. I will really suggest to try the opensource http://www.discourse.org/

I love this place, really inspired by almost all the 5star members here and wish the best.
IP Logged

I was born naked on a bed with a lady.
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #6 on: Feb 6th, 2013, 8:48am »

on Feb 6th, 2013, 2:07am, nakli wrote:
Also I believe strongly that the structure of a classical "forum" is really broken and though closely moderated by towr etc still this forum is a mess with incomplete, unanswered puzzles that might be interesting but are not discoverable. Formats such as stackoverflow overocme this. I will really suggest to try the opensource http://www.discourse.org/
It doesn't appear to be opensource, at least not in the sense of free; they seem intent of bringing it to market.
It looks interesting, except it also looks horrible if you don't have javascript turned on (e.g. if you use the noscript-addon), nor does it (currently) notify you that that's the reason why it looks horrible.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2013, 8:49am by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
jemyclarke

« Reply #7 on: Feb 22nd, 2013, 1:48am »

Every people have different ideas and they share lots of knowledge with us but some people was wrong and they can't get informative knowledge according to their topic. But I truly say that I like this site and here I get lots of information which I have never seen in any other sites.
IP Logged
movie4fun

« Reply #8 on: Aug 18th, 2014, 6:53pm »

people nowadays register to so many sites they tend to forget about them after two three days. things were different when we didn't had all this social media crap
IP Logged
wakiza33

industrial Engineer // Berkeley Alumnus

« Reply #9 on: Sep 11th, 2014, 8:07pm »

I believe that most users on any platform are spam. In my  estimation 30% of usernames taken on twitter aren't human.
IP Logged

Binder Jetting Engineer
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #10 on: Sep 11th, 2014, 10:13pm »

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22329804.000-twitter-bots-grow-up- and-take-on-the-world.html
Summary with respect to fakes: At their stock market launch twitter said 5% were fake; an analysis from Indiana University found 15% were fake; a study from Sysomos found 24% of tweets are from bots.

There's probably quite a few bots that only consume twitter and don't produce tweets. But they can also run under an actual persons account, so the distinction is blurry.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »