wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Internet and Democracy »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 11:34am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: Grimbal, towr, william wu, SMQ, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, Icarus)
   Internet and Democracy
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Internet and Democracy  (Read 22503 times)
DavidMuic

Internet and Democracy  
« on: Jan 12th, 2012, 6:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I need opinions here.

Does the internet contribute to more freedom and democracy?
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Internet and Democracy  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12th, 2012, 8:23am »

On the one hand, it's a way for people to voice their opinion and rally together, on the other hand it can be a tool for governments to control it's people.
The internet is a tool, whether it contributes to freedom and democracy or not depends on how it is used.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12th, 2012, 9:05am »

It seems to me that up to now the Internet has been a great boost for democracy by just helping to spread information to everybody.

But it seems to me that a few companies are gaining access to way too much information about individual people and makes me fear we are going in the direction of a small circle of companies that rules the rest of the world.
IP Logged
DavidMuic

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12th, 2012, 8:28pm »

So how is it that China could suppress their people through internet censoring while the Middle East couldn't?
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12th, 2012, 10:20pm »

I think that's the wrong question, because the context is different. Life is getting worse for the people in the middle east with food prices soaring and a bad economy, while for the Chinese life is getting better. Another difference is the demographic. China has an aging population with a median age of 35.5, while in the middle-east most people are young: in Egypt the median age is 24.3.  
If push came to shove, I'm not so sure Chinese internet censoring would be able to suppress its people; even shutting down the internet entirely didn't help the regimes in the middle eastern countries. But the Chinese have little reason to revolt, they only have to wait and things get better, so why rock the boat?
IP Logged

DavidMuic

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12th, 2012, 11:54pm »

So let's say we forget the internet for one second.

Whether or not the people have the right to vote or express, is less important than their well being. This is what I could conclude from the China example, that's also why some countries in the Middle East with authoritarian rulers are having no problems while some do, based on their distribution of wealth(mainly from oil export) ?

(Im doing this thesis about democracy and really appreciate all the support and opinions)
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13th, 2012, 8:40am »

I wouldn't necessarily say that their right to vote or voice their opinion is less important than their well-being ( I'd say it is part of what makes up their well-being). But people are less inclined to take to the street and protest -- and risk the ire of the authorities -- if the stakes aren't very high. If you can't afford food, or can't afford to start a family, the stakes are pretty high; it's your day-to-day life that's affected. If you can't vote, well, how often do you vote? Sure, it affects your life, but you don't notice it that much -- unless there's something that really, desperately needs to change and you notice that nobody's listening to you.
IP Logged

rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #7 on: Jan 13th, 2012, 5:58pm »

In general, democracies are better places to live than non-democracies, but that's like saying that, in general, men are stronger than women. In individual cases, a given woman can be stronger than a given man, and a given non-democracy can be a better place to live than a given democracy.

The great weakness of democracy is that it relies on the basic assumption that everyone's opinion (unless they're insane or under a certain age or meet any of various other criteria that have been used over the millennia) is equally valid - or in representative democracy, that everyone's judgement of who should be making decisions is equally valid.

One obvious failure mode for democratic societies is "bread and circuses" - a sufficient proportion of the population realises that they can vote for expanded welfare and better entertainments and stop worrying about the long-term consequences...
IP Logged
tradingpostmotel

« Reply #8 on: Jan 14th, 2012, 1:47pm »

The internet is good for democracy because it lets others learn new things about other countries. Their religion, culture and political views.
IP Logged
Questionnaire

« Reply #9 on: Jan 31st, 2012, 1:15pm »

In Holland we already have an official account to do our bureaucratic tasks like filling in taxforms over the Internet. For the bureaucratics of a government, at least, the Internet has been very usefull.
I believe that the Internet could be used to fix some of the governing problems democracies have to cope with.  
Having an election is difficult and costly, which is a reason why major democracies were unable to use a referendum-based government until now.
By this I mean a democracy that votes not only on leaders, but on issues.
Using the Internet to vote would:
-decrease the costs of voting drastically
-enable campaigns based on ideas not supported by the rich and powerfull
-enable us to have elections more often, and in that way give our governments the feedback from the people they (should) need.
-raise the number of people who actually vote (very low in my country, even lower in the USA)

Of course there are downsides as well, namely security and privacy issues. Also there is the question if you really want a referendum-based democracy, but that is getting too opinionlike to me.

Governments can use  the Internet as a tool to access the people, manipulate them or to spy on them. But either way the power of the Internet is not te be underestimated.

Just my two cents,
W

IP Logged
ashutoshets

« Reply #10 on: Feb 21st, 2012, 8:21pm »

Yes Internet give  more freedom to express you view .
IP Logged
prashant

« Reply #11 on: Feb 21st, 2012, 11:54pm »

on Jan 12th, 2012, 6:51am, DavidMuic wrote:
I need opinions here.

yes,it does.
IP Logged
alexdrid25

« Reply #12 on: Feb 23rd, 2012, 10:25pm »

Internet is a powerful medium that gives freedom to people all over the globe. And this forum site is such a great example to take on  Grin
IP Logged
alisdiar

Allied Isurance

« Reply #13 on: Jul 9th, 2012, 1:30am »

Yes the Internet contribute more freedom. it helps us for know anything in the world. It provide many things which we want to use or learn from everywhere.
IP Logged
Ela

« Reply #14 on: Jul 18th, 2012, 11:40pm »

Of course the Internet give you the capabilities and platform to speak up in 60% of the world and it already started a rebels movements in many nations which never had the freedom of speech which you take for so granted.
IP Logged
srijth110

« Reply #15 on: Oct 4th, 2012, 2:42am »

Yes  through internet only we can tell the problems which are occuring in the democracy
IP Logged
MathsForFun

« Reply #16 on: Oct 31st, 2012, 2:16pm »

on Jan 12th, 2012, 6:51am, DavidMuic wrote:

The printing press is said to have contributed greatly to democracy - and the internet is an order of magnitude more powerful than the printing press.
IP Logged

Everything is interesting if you look at it closely enough
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #17 on: Nov 1st, 2012, 9:32am »

I wonder.

I heard in the news about the US elections, that there are action groups that do "microtargetting" to help the one or the other candidate.
The idea is that people who want to favour one candidate can download a list of neighbours who haven't registererd for voting.  For each neighbour is a profile that gives the neighbours interests and the points in the candidate's program that is more likely to make him/her decide to vote for the candidate.

These profiles were purchased from a private data collecting agency.

So the internet helps those who can buy the data to give a very biased view of their candidate to push peoples votes the way they like.

OK, in my opinion the internet is still helping democracy by spreading knowledge, but there are also dangers.
IP Logged
paulstrahann

« Reply #18 on: Jan 27th, 2013, 9:03pm »

No doubt on that Internet is the big reason for democracy and also for some independence as well. Now, we can collect information through the Internet and sharing options are too. It's helpful to spread democracy as well. So, I also feel that Internet is truly great for democracy and internet.
IP Logged
jemyclarke

« Reply #19 on: Feb 11th, 2013, 3:54am »

Governments world-wide are starting more and more to use the internet and state of the art technologies in order to control the life of individuals. The use of the internet to make money has created a democratic revolution of money making opportunities across the world.
IP Logged
new_world

« Reply #20 on: Mar 20th, 2013, 1:31pm »

I think it does. It's much harder to ban/censor the Internet than some local newspaper. Of course it's not impossible for countries to block specific websites from their population, but people always find ways to bypass this limitation.

So, I strongly believe the Internet contributes for freedom and democracy, since it's the easiest way for someone to express their opinions.

Here are two politicians quotes about this:

“Both the American people and nations that censor the internet should understand that our government is committed to helping promote internet freedom.”  
(Hillary Clinton)

“I am in favor of complete freedom of information and of free access to the new communication tools, in particular the Internet.”  
(Omar Bongo)

Source: Lib Quotes
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2017, 9:59am by new_world » IP Logged
Mariko79

Better than Van Damme

« Reply #21 on: Apr 2nd, 2013, 12:34pm »

I think that the answer is YES, because the libetry of expression have biger limits than other mass media
IP Logged
venkatsha

Save planet from pollution!

« Reply #22 on: May 9th, 2013, 5:44am »

What about SOPA and PIPA things. Does those bills were passed?
IP Logged
arshkapoor

http://weltosho p.info

« Reply #23 on: Aug 21st, 2013, 12:27pm »

internet is the best way to gain information and best way to come up with your opinion to the world. I share my words at my blog and i learn the freedom to say what ever i want and without any limitations  

// removed link to commercial blog.
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2013, 12:35pm by towr » IP Logged
pandani

« Reply #24 on: Oct 27th, 2013, 4:28pm »

What is democracy and freedom? We are not fully have them. Everything is still under control either democracy and freedom.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »