wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Birthday twins »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 10:15pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: Eigenray, SMQ, william wu, ThudnBlunder, towr, Icarus, Grimbal)
   Birthday twins
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Birthday twins  (Read 5143 times)
DrOctopus

Re: Birthday twins  
« Reply #25 on: Mar 20th, 2003, 12:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Could also have something to do with them being born in the Arctic Circle, where the 'days' are six months long.
IP Logged
Jimmy

Email

« Reply #26 on: Apr 4th, 2003, 9:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

depending on how you define a "birthday", you could have this scenario.

say sheila is born at x time on day d.  and he-man is born at x + e time on day d.  if you say that the real "birthday" starts from time x on day d to time x on day d+1, you could have this scenario which gives basically 2 days of separation...

he-man lives at one side of the date line and sheila on the other.  he man celebrates at x+e on day d. sheila, right as it reaches x on her side of the date-line, she crosses over to the other side of the date line where it is now time x on day d+1.  she can't celebrate since it's technically past her birthday.  she waits until it's almost x on day d+2 on the date-line and goes back to her side to celebrate her birthday on x on day d+1 (minus some very trivial amount of time).  thus, you have something like 2 days, although it's really like 2-e days of separation.  

i suppose if x is 00:00:00 on a particular day, this works on a traditional definition of birthday.

i'm sure if you add this to some of these other solutions, you can get more separation.
IP Logged
.DiapuzzBoy.

Email

« Reply #27 on: May 4th, 2003, 10:53am »

I think this is easy. My answer:

They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard.
IP Logged
mistysakura

« Reply #28 on: May 6th, 2003, 2:11am »

on May 4th, 2003, 10:53am, .DiapuzzBoy. wrote:
I think this is easy. My answer:

They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard. They just say thats Sheila CELEBRATE afte He-Man. So, it wasn´t so hard.

And it also specifies that they celebrate on the day.
IP Logged
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #29 on: May 7th, 2003, 12:45pm »

Here's an interesting sidenote.
IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
valadezaj

« Reply #30 on: Feb 9th, 2004, 3:17pm »

I've got the solution! Thanks to the help of Prince. First I will post the original riddle.

"Sheila and He-Man are twins; Sheila is the OLDER twin. Assume they were born immediately after each other, an infinitesimally small - but nonzero - amount of time apart. During one year in the course of their lives, Sheila celebrates her birthday two days AFTER He-Man. How is this possible?  

Note: When we say "celebrates her birthday", this celebration happens on the actual birthday date -- it cannot be a celebration that occurs at a date earlier or later than the actual birthday date for whatever reasons of convenience. Also, the solution has nothing to do with the theory of relativity or any other over complicated nonsense like that."

Now William Wu said:

"Technically, I didn't say "During only one year in the course of their lives", so I don't think the phrasing is necessarily flawed as you suggest. Saying "during one year" does not imply that the statement "during only one year" is false."

Now Prince said:

"Another variant solution depends on the definition of OLDER (does it depend on order of birth, or conception). Since Sheila and He-man are not the same sex, they must be dizygotic twins (2 different sperm fertilizing 2 different eggs, not one fertilized zygote splitting in 2). If Sheila is conceived before He-man, she could be considered older, and still be delivered (born) after him."

From this information a solution is found.

Since Sheila and He-man are dizygotic twins Sheila was conceived before He-man, let's say by 1 minute. So Sheila is technically older. Now on Feb 28 during a non leap year, let's make the year 1987, He-man is born at 11:59:50 PM. and Sheila is born at 12:00:05 PM. on March 1. The next year (it would be 1988 which is leap year) He-man celebrates his birthday on Feb. 28 but Sheila celebrates her birthday on March 1. Feb. 28 - 29 = 1 day and  
Feb. 29 - Mar. 1 = 2 days. Since Wu said it can happen in more then one year this solution is valid.
Side note:          

"Technically, I didn't say "During only one year in the course of their lives", so I don't think the phrasing is necessarily flawed as you suggest. Saying "during one year" does not imply that the statement "during only one year" is false."

The phrase: "The course of their lives" could simply mean they are only 4 years old. However the phrase could be changed to say "every so often". So what do you think? Have I solved the Birthday Twins riddle?
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2004, 3:37pm by valadezaj » IP Logged
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #31 on: Apr 29th, 2004, 8:02am »

About time zones, note that they spread from UTC-12 to UTC+14.  UTC+14 is for Kiribati, Line islands, UTC-12 is for Baker Island which is very close to Kiribati.
See http://www.worldtimezone.com zones M and Y,
and http://www.worldtimezone.com/time-oceania.htm

So, when it is 0:01 March 1 in Kiribati (UTC+14), it is Feb 28 in most of the world (UTC+13 to UTC-10) and 23:01 Feb 27 on Baker Island (UTC-11).

Kiribati covers 3 time zones, but it is possible that the zone UTC+14 touches UTC-12 or UTC-11, or UTC+13 touches UTC-11.  If for instance UTC+14 touches UTC-11, and the twins were born just before and after crossing the dateline, somewhere on the way from Kiribati to Baker Island, it could be that the oldest is born on March 1 and the youngest on Feb 27.  If now they celebrate their birthday on a leap year, the youngest as late as possible on Baker Island and the oldest as early as possible in Kiribati, you would have one party at 0:01 Feb 27 in Kiribati, 3 days later would be 0:01 March 1 in Kiribati and 25 hours and 58 minutes later it would be 23:59 in Baker Island.  So, the youngest can celebrate his birthday 4 days, 1 hour and 58 minutes before his older sister.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2004, 8:05am by Grimbal » IP Logged
daniducci

Email

« Reply #32 on: Jul 30th, 2004, 12:38pm »

Her name isn't Sheila. It's She-Ra (or Adora). And I don't think Eternia has an International Dateline. But since She-Ra lives on Etheria, a totally different planet from He-Man's Eternia, no doubt with a different length of year, there's no telling how far apart their birthdays are.  Grin
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #33 on: Jul 31st, 2004, 5:09am »

But the puzzle isn't about that He-Man - this one's parents were deluded jet-set fans who didn't stop to consider that Adam might be a much more sensible choice of name, and ignored their gynaecologist's advice about cutting down on activity around the time of the birth...

As a complete sidetrack, does anyone know what the rules are about time-keeping in space? For geostationary orbits, there's an obvious approach - just match your clock to the point directly beneath you - but it's less clear what time it should be when you're in a fast orbit and circle the earth every few hours...
IP Logged
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #34 on: Jul 31st, 2004, 6:54am »

A satellite doesnt' really care about time zones.  It keeps time by counting seconds since some starting point.  You can convert that to h:m:s in any time zone you like.

For astronauts, they could use the time of the base stations, but since astronomy records events in GMT, I'm pretty sure they use GMT.
IP Logged
Nigel_Parsons

« Reply #35 on: Jul 31st, 2004, 12:08pm »

Grimbal, whilst astronomers may use GMT, the news rarely does. Frequently I see quotes about the Neil Armstrong dated for 20 July 1969 (e.g. National geographic http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/07/0714_040714_moonlanding. html) But I clearly remember watching his "one small step" 'live' on television in the early hours of 21 July 1969.
IP Logged
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #36 on: Jul 31st, 2004, 1:19pm »

Astronomers do use GMT.  And so do the crew of the international space station.  I am not sure for Mir or US space flights.  The news might convert events to any time zone they like, but the crew and ground control better stick to one time zone.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »