wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - The Duck in the Pond »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 1:38am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: william wu, SMQ, Eigenray, towr, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, Icarus)
   The Duck in the Pond
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Duck in the Pond  (Read 11544 times)
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

The Duck in the Pond  
« on: Aug 2nd, 2002, 2:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

OK, this one will be it for me for now -- I don't want to flood the boards overly much.  If these go well, maybe I will post more later.

This is a somewhat easier one, for balance.  But still one of my faves, and one that I used to use in interviews all the time:

A duck is in a circular pond with a menacing cat outside.  The cat runs four times as fast as the duck can swim, but cannot enter the water.  Can the duck get to the perimeter of the pond without the cat being on top of him?

Happy Puzzling,
Eric
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2003, 3:40pm by Icarus » IP Logged

"It is better to have puzzled and failed than never to have puzzled at all."
AlexH

Email

Re: NEW PROBLEM:  The Duck in the Pond  
« Reply #1 on: Aug 3rd, 2002, 4:54pm »

Since noone else went for this one I'll bite.  

Define our distance scale so that the radius of the circle is 1, and define time so that the duck's speed is also 1 and cats speed is 4. The duck can swim out to a point 1/4 - x from the center (x is any small positive number). The duck can swim around this circle faster than the cat can run around the pond because its circumference is less than 1/4 the circumference of the pond. This means he can position himself at the opposite side of this subcircle from the cat by racing around this inner circle faster than the cat can keep up (he could do this more efficiently but I'm just saying it can be done). Once he is opposite the cat, then his distance to the edge is 3/4+x, while the cat will have to run a distance of pi to make it to that point. As long as we pick x < (pi -3)/4 then the duck will make it there first.
IP Logged
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 3rd, 2002, 9:22pm »

Yup -- nice job!

Best,
Eric
IP Logged

jograd

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 4th, 2002, 11:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Easy, the duck can fly out of the pond.

Smiley
IP Logged
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 5th, 2002, 8:25am »

OK, I forgot to mention that the cat also has a shotgun, but since he forgot to put in his contact lenses this morning, his vision is only good enough to shoot something out of a bright background.  Wink
IP Logged

EvolvedHumanoid

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 7th, 2002, 2:55am »

There is no way the duck can reach the edge of the pond.

Draw a straight line from the centerpoint of the pond, through the duck, to the edge of the pond. No matter where the duck is, where the line intersects the edge of the pond is where the cat should be.

The farthest the cat will ever have to run is exactly halfway around the pond (in the case that the duck crosses the center point).

Define the pond as having a radius of 1.
The circomference is 2 * pi * r. The farthest the cat ever has to run is (2*pi*r) / 2 or pi*r, which is well below 4.
IP Logged
Willis

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 7th, 2002, 4:43am »

EvolvedHumanoid: Your counterargument only works if the duck always starts at the center of the pond. However, if you read above, you'll see that it's possible for the duck to be r/4 from the center (in fact, more than r/4, but r/4 suffices), and move more quickly about its "circle" than the cat can move around the pond. Therefore, it's possible for the duck to get opposite the cat at least r/4 from the center of the pond, which gives it the edge it needs.
IP Logged
EvolvedHumanoid

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 7th, 2002, 12:23pm »

I should know better than to post at three in the morning.

I see my error now.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »