wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - NEW PROBLEM:  The Gods of Gibberland »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 7:50pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, SMQ, william wu, Grimbal, towr, Icarus, Eigenray)
   NEW PROBLEM:  The Gods of Gibberland
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: NEW PROBLEM:  The Gods of Gibberland  (Read 18325 times)
Rupert

Email

Re: Brainstorm  
« Reply #50 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 4:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Aug 14th, 2002, 9:11pm, Jonathan_the_Red wrote:

BTW, that bastard GibberKnexus completely blows away the iff technique. Take a simple proposition P and ask a Knight or a Knave "does plonk mean 'yes' if and only if P", and the Knight will answer plonk if P is true and blatz otherwise, while the Knave will answer blatz if P is true and plonk otherwise. The Knexus, though, will answer whichever word means yes. No longer does the iff technique break through the language barrier.

Good one. I didn't notice that. Well, not good, really.  Angry

What if I asked a question like "If you are Knexus then Qa, otherwise Qb"? Would Knexus answer Qa or Qb? Eric?
(I'm afraid I won't like the answer... Undecided)

Cheers
IP Logged
Rupert

Email

Re: NEW PROBLEM:  The Gods of Gibberland  
« Reply #51 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 4:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Aug 14th, 2002, 8:58pm, Eric Yeh wrote:

c)  False.

Thanks Eric,  

Hm. Do you mean there are certain paths where we don't need to find out (this is what I understand Jon meant), or is it generally not necessary? (Don't answer if it gives away too much)

(I'm in Germany)

IP Logged
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #52 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 5:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 15th, 2002, 4:25am, Rupert wrote:

If the answer to Q3 is no, you're done. But if it is yes, you still don't know if 'that other guy' is between 'you' and 'that guy' or if he is more reliable than 'you'. -- i.e. the order established by Q2 leaves three 'emtpy spots' from which we would have to decide by just one question.
I hope that I'm wrong here, because that would make it easier, but I'm afraid I' not

Ye, I'm afraid I have to agree that if I understand it correctly, I don't see how it bypasses the language barrier.  

I came up with many solutions that work in some cases Wink. I meant that a
general solution would have to include finding out what yes/no means.

Actually, Jon meant that he believes that in any ONE solution that works for all cases, there will be SOME "cases" (defined by sequences of answers) in which you cannot resolve the words for "yes" and "no", whereas with certain other "cases" you will be able to deduce the meanings.

BTW, I dreamt of this! I was in a cafeteria with two waiters, one of them needed to be lied to, the other needed the truth...

Cool!!!  Cheesy  But where's GibberKnexus??  Wink

Best,
Eric
IP Logged

"It is better to have puzzled and failed than never to have puzzled at all."
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #53 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 5:29am »

Oops, didn't see this new page!

on Aug 15th, 2002, 4:48am, Rupert wrote:

Good one. I didn't notice that. Well, not good, really.  Angry

What if I asked a question like "If you are Knexus then Qa, otherwise Qb"? Would Knexus answer Qa or Qb? Eric?
(I'm afraid I won't like the answer... Undecided)

Cheers

Sorry:  yes-no questions only, as per the standard rules.  Wink

on Aug 15th, 2002, 4:55am, Rupert wrote:

Thanks Eric,  

Hm. Do you mean there are certain paths where we don't need to find out (this is what I understand Jon meant), or is it generally not necessary? (Don't answer if it gives away too much)

(I'm in Germany)

Yes, paths.

Best,
Eric
IP Logged

Rupert

« Reply #54 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 5:48am »

on Aug 15th, 2002, 5:29am, Eric Yeh wrote:

Sorry:  yes-no questions only, as per the standard rules.  Wink

Qa Qb were supposed to be some question. As in "If you're Knexus, is A Knight, otherwise is 5=7?"
But Knexus really would have to answer to 5=7 as I understand it. So it doesn't help anyway...

IP Logged
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #55 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 5:50am »

Correct.  Sorry I misunderstood your earlier message.

Best,
Eric
IP Logged

Rupert

« Reply #56 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 8:48am »

Maybe this is just some psychological experiment to find out how long you can convince someone to work on a problem to which there is obviously no solution just by claiming there is one?

Tongue
IP Logged
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #57 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 10:40am »

Oh oh, you've got me!!!  I myself am working on a open-ended problem from another puzzle web site:  "Model the average length of time spent by strangers on a newly created impossible problem as a function of the credibility of the author.  Determine the amount of credibility which maximizes that length of time."

Unfortunately, I am not bright enough to solve this on my own, so I am forced to study the problem empirically.  A couple of years back I tried using credibility = 0; now I am experimenting on using credibility = 1 solveable new problem.  Failing this, I will try again in a couple of years by first issuing two solveable problems, and go from there.

Best,
Eric
IP Logged

Rupert

« Reply #58 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 11:35am »

Ha! I knew it.  
Nice touch btw to get Tim to indicate that he found the solution.

Now where's my tinfoil hat?

IP Logged
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #59 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 11:40am »

Ye, we are all in on it together!  Jon is only pretending he's looking for a soln.

Sorry, what's this hat thing?  Is this some German reference I'm missing?

Evilly yours,
Eric
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2002, 11:41am by Eric Yeh » IP Logged

Rupert

« Reply #60 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 12:12pm »

on Aug 15th, 2002, 11:40am, Eric Yeh wrote:

Sorry, what's this hat thing?  Is this some German reference I'm missing?

Tinfoil hats keep aliens/black helicopters from reading your mind and/or remote controlling your brain.
You mean you don't have one?  Wink
But then again, you are probably sitting IN the black helicopter.
And I shouldn't have told you...
IP Logged
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #61 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 12:14pm »

Say, is that Illuminati???!!
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2002, 12:14pm by Eric Yeh » IP Logged

Jonathan_the_Red

Email

« Reply #62 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 1:05pm »

Don't have much time (that stupid 'real life thing')... just wanted to pop in and acknowledge my error earlier re. the simpler problem where the Gods all tell the truth. Sigh...

Here are three questions that really do work in that case.

(hidden color to prevent spoilage)

Ask God A:
Q1: Is the word that means "yes" alphabetically before the word that means "no" if and only if you are GibberKnight?

God A answers: "foon".

Ask God A:
Q2: Does "foon" mean "yes" if and only if you are GibberKnave?

Case 1: God A answers "foon". In this case, he is GibberKnave
Case 2: God A answers "blatz". In this case, he is GibberKnexus
Case 3: God A answers "worple". In this case, he is GibberKnight.

For Q3, just use the iff trick to ask about one of the two gods you don't know.
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2002, 1:12pm by Jonathan_the_Red » IP Logged

My arcade cabinet
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #63 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 1:09pm »

Without checking the details, yes, something like that would work.  Good job Jon!

Perhaps you want to put it in [colors] so prevent spoilage?  Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2002, 1:10pm by Eric Yeh » IP Logged

Jonathan_the_Red

Email

« Reply #64 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 1:15pm »

Good idea. Just so I'm clear, the above solution works only if all three Gods tell the truth... but I'm pretty sure that it can be modded to work for the "real" case. I'll poke away at it this weekend.

BTW, this is not at all a big deal, but I prefer Jonathan to Jon. Just FYI.
IP Logged

My arcade cabinet
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #65 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 1:19pm »

Ye ye, I knew that.  If it were the real deal I would've checked it a little more carefully!!  Smiley  Ye, the expansion requires a "second innovation" to get the knexus personality to fall in line, but you're certainly on the right track.
But Jonathan is too long to type!!!  What will happen if I keep calling you Jon?  You said you were difficult to offend, after all!!!!!  Wink

Best,
Eric
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2002, 1:19pm by Eric Yeh » IP Logged

Rupert

« Reply #66 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 1:58pm »

Hm. Relying on alphabetical order would be less than elegant.
Not only because of ambiguos sounds like e.g. s/c or h/j in some languages. What about that African toungue-popping consonant, or what if 'no' sounds like shattering glass and 'yes' sounds like a trumpet? These guys are some weirdo GibberGods after all, and "the language spoken in Gibberland is so unintelligible [...]".

IP Logged
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #67 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 2:01pm »

This is true; "better" (i.e. more universal) conditions that accomplish similar things can be found.

Rupi, didn't I tell you not to read that msg??!  Wink

Best,
Eric
IP Logged

Rupert

« Reply #68 on: Aug 16th, 2002, 3:19pm »

Hi Eric,

I didn't get your mail until after I read the comment. But I actually found it to be more of a distraction than a hint. So no harm done.  Wink

IP Logged
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #69 on: Aug 16th, 2002, 4:05pm »

Fair enough.  Sorry I haven't gotten a chance to look carefully at your msg yet (tho things fine); been a bit busy at work.

Best,
Eric
IP Logged

Jonathan_the_Red

Email

« Reply #70 on: Aug 16th, 2002, 6:43pm »

As Aristotle said when he entered his bath, "Fabreka!" (literally, "I have found the fabric softener!")

I'm not terribly thrilled with this solution (I find it a bit clunky), but it does work (*). Hidden with color tags...
DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE A SOLUTION DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE A SOLUTION DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE A SOLUTION DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE A SOLUTION DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE A SOLUTION DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE A SOLUTION DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE A SOLUTION DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE A SOLUTION DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE A SOLUTION DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE A SOLUTION DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE A SOLUTION DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE A SOLUTION DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE A SOLUTION DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE A SOLUTION

-----

Ask God A: "Does the word for 'yes' come alphabetically before the word for 'no'?"

GibberKnight will say whichever answer word comes alphabetically first. GibberKnave will say whichever answer word comes alphabetically second. GibberKnexus will say whichever answer word means 'yes'.

Ask God A: "Does the word for 'no' come alphabetically before the word for 'yes'?"

If the answers to the two questions are the same, God A is GibberKnexus, and his answer means 'yes'. Ask God B: "Is 2+2 equal to 4?" If his answer is the same as God A's answers, he's the Knight, otherwise he's the Knave.

If the answers to the two questions differ and the answer to question 1 precedes the answer to question 2 alphabetically, he's a Knight. If the answer to question 2 precedes the answer to question 1, he's a knave. Either way, you can use the iff trick combined with the "what would you say if I asked you..." trick to determine which of the other Gods is which.

-----

That was quite a doozy. More commentary below hidden by color...

-----

The key to this one, of course, is to come up with a question that will force a Knight to give one of the answer words and a Knave to give the other, regardless of which word means 'yes' and which means 'no'. I used alphabetical order for the purpose... if there's a cleaner way, I'd like to know it.

-----

Thanks, Eric, for the hours of mental exercise Smiley

(*) At least, I think it works. If not, wouldn't be the first time I've been mistaken when I thought I had a solution...
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2002, 6:45pm by Jonathan_the_Red » IP Logged

My arcade cabinet
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #71 on: Aug 16th, 2002, 6:59pm »

Nice job Jon!!  Ye, that is pretty much it!  I'm not sure why you call it 'clunky'; I think it's pretty good!  The first two questions make it truly elegant!!!

Something hidden:

Yes, the alphabet part is potentially problematic because they don't have to use an English alphabet, and even if they do there's no guarantee that you will be able to recognize their pronunciation.  But you certainly have the right spirit.  I think the most universal proposition to use is "The word I would find more aesthetically pleasing immediately after hearing the second word..."  This taps the omniscience of the gods, but hey, omniscient is omniscient!!!  And there's no arguing that it will have an answer which the questioner will know.  Satisfactory, I hope?  Smiley

OK then, I will wait a little bit more for last answers to trickle in, and then maybe post a breather or so before moving on!!!  Cheesy

Best,
Eric
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2002, 7:01pm by Eric Yeh » IP Logged

Rupert

« Reply #72 on: Aug 16th, 2002, 8:12pm »

Jonathan,

I'm surprised that it is possible after all with such simple questions. (The solution I came up with has questions about 8 lines long when written out in plain English.) -- I'll let you see in a private message.

Good job.

Rupert

IP Logged
Rupert

Proposed Extension to Riddle  
« Reply #73 on: Aug 17th, 2002, 9:28pm »

How about an extension to the riddle?

You may not speak to the Gibbergods directly, but rather you have to relay your questions through a herald. You must tell him all three questions at once. Unfortunately, he is rather confused. He is neither able to select from several questions depending on previous answers, nor does he remember which of the gods he was supposed to ask which question. I.e. all he can do is repeat the three questions in the right order, randomly addressing one of the gods for each question.

Cool

IP Logged
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #74 on: Aug 17th, 2002, 10:13pm »

Rupi,

It's a good initial thought, but in the end not a good idea.  The "problem" with stating the problem that way is that it reduces the search space too much, thereby actually making the problem easier to solve.  That is why I have only been challenging people to do it that way after they give me a first soln.

Best,
Eric
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »