wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Help needed: puzzles/riddles from another site »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 2:30am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, william wu, Grimbal, SMQ, Icarus, towr)
   Help needed: puzzles/riddles from another site
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help needed: puzzles/riddles from another site  (Read 1206 times)
Kozo Morimoto

Email

Help needed: puzzles/riddles from another site  
« on: Dec 6th, 2002, 4:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've recently found this site:
http://www.highiqsociety.org/flash/nonmembers/iqtests.htm

I tried the logic test and out of 15, I'm pretty sure on the answers to 13 questions.  1 question I (educated) guessed, and didn't know the proof, I've asked for help as 9 jars and 9 labels.

The site has "Test for Exceptional Intelligence" and I've looked through most of them, and I could not make any progress on any of them - most of them involve some pattern sequence thing which I'm totally hopeless at.

I didn't want to post the questions in fear of copyright or plagerism, but if anyone can help me out on any of the questions, I'd be very grateful.

Maybe this forum needs a 'links' section for other riddle sites or help requests?
IP Logged
Garzahd

mlahut

Re: Help needed: puzzles/riddles from another site  
« Reply #1 on: Dec 6th, 2002, 11:11am »

Look for a thread called "Think You're Good?" - this site was mentioned before, and a few of us banged our heads against the exceptional IQ test and concluded that several of the questions are too vague to be solved.

As for the question you mention, it's a simple linearity-of-expectation problem. Considering just one jar for a little while: It would have a 1/9 probability of being correct, so it's said that there is an "expectation" of 1/9 of a correct jar. Since there are 9 jars, each contributing an expectation of 1/9, there is an overall expectation of 1 jar being correct.

If this seems like a strange way to do math, you can take a look at some lecture notes on the subject at http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/avrim/www/Randalgs98/lect0917
IP Logged
Pietro K.C.

115936899 115936899    

« Reply #2 on: Dec 6th, 2002, 12:33pm »

Yeah, I went there too... never got past the 5th or so question, started to get annoyed. I think that, when ask someone to recognize a pattern that is too complex, there will be lots of different possible answers. Tongue As the mensa thread clearly illlustrates.
IP Logged

"I always wondered about the meaning of life. So I looked it up in the dictionary under 'L' and there it was --- the meaning of life. It was not what I expected." (Dogbert)
Garzahd

mlahut

« Reply #3 on: Dec 6th, 2002, 3:19pm »

Actually, the patterns being complex is suprisingly not the biggest issue. (though it is important)

IMHO the biggest problem is with questions like #6, which initially looks like a simple (but tedious) linear-algebra problem, however it's made impossible by there being no letter Y in the given clues. And it's never specified that all letters represent different numbers (though it's true in all consistent solutions).

#25 also has some huge underspecification problems (see other thread).

Other problems have nitpickier issues, such as the scaling of squares in the squares-within-squares problem. (i.e. triple all lengths and the answer is still valid)
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »