wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Dad's Riddle »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 5:47pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, SMQ, Eigenray, towr, Icarus, Grimbal, william wu)
   Dad's Riddle
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Dad's Riddle  (Read 2881 times)
Sarah Lestat

Email

Dad's Riddle  
« on: Jan 26th, 2003, 2:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Five of each of these six equals nine hundred and fifty five
IP Logged
John Circe

Email

Re: Dad's Riddle  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26th, 2003, 5:15pm »

Huh Does anybody know the answerHuh
IP Logged
redPEPPER

« Reply #2 on: Jan 27th, 2003, 2:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

if five of each of these six equals 955, then one of each of these six is 191.  Now we might have to find 6 numbers whose sum is 191 but there's a lot of possibilities.  They might be special numbers but the riddle doesn't give a clue about how they would be special.  

The average of these 6 numbers would be 31.8333...
I tried 6 consecutive prime numbers but that didn't work.  I tried powers of 2 but 191 is the sum of 7 of them.

Without that constraint of "special numbers" that I added myself so that the riddle makes sense, here are some sets of solutions:
{1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 186}
{1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 176}
{1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 160}
{20, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41}
For each of these sets it can be said that "Five of each of these six equals nine hundred and fifty five".
IP Logged
Phil

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 28th, 2003, 1:59pm »

Was Dad teaching you a "valuable" lesson?
IP Logged
Sarah Lestat

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 28th, 2003, 5:28pm »

I called my dad, he says the math approach from Red Pepper was not what he is looking for.  I thought it might be only a thing that family could understand like ages of select family members, five of each...= nine hundred and fifty five.  He says no to this as well and that everyone young or old could get this riddle.

I was raised on Kit Williams riddle/treasure hunt books and a.m. radio treasure hunts but as much as I love a riddle or a hunt I am never the one to figure out the answer.  To bad for me Cry
Please keep posting your ideas!  P.S.  Is there such thing as a dumb or silly riddle??  If so is this one of them??  (Sorry Dad)
IP Logged
Phil

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 28th, 2003, 5:57pm »

Sorry, I didn't realize you don't know the answer. Your Dad's teaching you values, to coin a phrase. Answer: The six things are a penny, nickel, dime, quarter, half dollar and dollar.
IP Logged
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #6 on: Jan 28th, 2003, 6:11pm »

Yes, there are dumb and silly riddles, plenty of them - but I would say that the jury is still out on this one.

It definitely lacks in that the mathematical solutions of redPEPPER satisfy the riddle as stated just fine, even though they are not the desired answer. So the riddle needs to be better stated. But this in itself does not make it dumb or silly.

Of course, I can't make any final judgments on the riddle's worth without knowing the answer, and so far I have no clue! Sad
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
redPEPPER

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29th, 2003, 3:14am »

Phil is most probably right.  That is a notable set that fits the riddle, so I'm sure it's the intended answer.

But I agree with myself Grin and Icarus: in order to refute an answer, you have to say what part of the riddle it contradicts.  And even though my sets had nothing notable, the riddle didn't specifically ask for a notable set.  Maybe a hint in the riddle would help, like the proposed "here's a lesson about values" or something.

My math approach wasn't so wrong after all.  I just didn't stumble on the correct set.  Might be the culture gap (my Eurocent coins come in 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, and 50 cents)
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2003, 3:15am by redPEPPER » IP Logged
Sarah Lestat

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 29th, 2003, 10:52am »

Cool Oh, I get it!!!! tada!!! Money!  penny, nickle, dime, quarter, fifty cent piece, dollar x 5=955!  Thanks everyone!  I will call Dad and tell him I am a big hero and figured it out all on my own!!  Just kidding Wink
IP Logged
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #9 on: Jan 29th, 2003, 8:25pm »

That's what I get for getting up for while in the middle of preparing a post! Too big a hole for someone to slip in and provide the answer before I admit I don't know it! Good work, Phil!

And having the answer, I would say that it is not "dumb or silly", though it could be better stated, so as to avoid redPEPPER's alternate answers.

"Five of each of these six items equals nine hundred and fifty five" would even do, since "items" is usually applied only to physical things.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Sarah Lestat

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 30th, 2003, 4:32pm »

Shocked  HEY!!!  Nobody told me that if I click on Phil's "ANSWER :" that it would tell me.  I was just browsing over the page and I thought again how odd it was that Phil had not finished his sentence so I just started clickin on it and there it was.

IP Logged
Sarah Lestat

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 30th, 2003, 4:43pm »

Hey maybe my Dad will send me a prize! Tongue
IP Logged
william wu
wu::riddles Administrator

« Reply #12 on: Jan 31st, 2003, 5:41am »

Haha Smiley Yeah, the convention in this forum is to hide our answers. This hidden text can be revealed by highlighting the blank area with your mouse. You can hide text by surrounding it with hide tags, as shown below:

Code:

[hide] hidden stuff [/hide]
IP Logged

[ wu ] : http://wuriddles.com / http://forums.wuriddles.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »