wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Re: SelfHelpMate in 5 »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 2:50am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: william wu, SMQ, Eigenray, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, towr, Icarus)
   Re: SelfHelpMate in 5
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re: SelfHelpMate in 5  (Read 2445 times)
Ulkesh

Email

Re: SelfHelpMate in 5  
« on: Apr 9th, 2003, 2:49pm »

That's a really nice puzzle  Smiley

I've just begun working on it. I'll see how long it takes me...
IP Logged
Ulkesh

Email

Re: Cooperative Chess Game  
« Reply #1 on: Apr 9th, 2003, 4:57pm »

Ha! I think I have it!

1. e4 nf6
2. f3 nxe4
3. qe2 ng3
4. qxe7 qxe7+
5. kf2 nxh1++

I'd urge you not to look at the answer, and try to work this out for yourself. It really is a wonderful puzzle, and I'm sure you'd get a lot more satisfaction working the puzzle out for yourself than you would if you looked at the answer.
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2003, 5:05pm by Ulkesh » IP Logged
cho

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 9th, 2003, 6:13pm »

Just glancing at your solution, (I haven't actually played it out, so I may be wrong), but what's to keep the king from moving to f3
IP Logged
cho

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 9th, 2003, 6:15pm »

Oops, ignore that, I missed the pawn there.
IP Logged
cho

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 10th, 2003, 9:31am »

But, Thud, he told us he was just starting to work on it. He told us to time him. He waited a whole two hours. You can't believe that someone smart enough to beat Kasparov at chess would be that transparent.
IP Logged
Ulkesh

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 10th, 2003, 11:07am »

Cho, you're being a bit cynical aren't you...?

As it happens, I did solve it on my own. I'll admit I did read through the comments on the page Thud linked to. This gave one or two small clues, like that the solution was unique, and that it was likely that Black delivered the mate...

However, I'm not the only person who solved the puzzle relatively quickly (if you look at the comments, a few people did it within 20 minutes or so). And I do play chess fairly regularly, so there's no reason why I should lack the chess know-how to solve it.

And the reason I posted when I began attempting the problem was so that I could prove how long it took me should I actually solve the problem!
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2003, 11:16am by Ulkesh » IP Logged
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Apr 10th, 2003, 8:07pm »

This riddle was already on William Wu's main riddle page under the title "Chess Game Reconstruction". I find it hard to believe that all those great chess players had problems with this. At first I thought the claims on that link provided in the OP were a hoax, but it looks like a reputable site. Maybe good chess players are not used to thinking in terms of crazy moves.

My first thoughts on this were that, assuming no rooks are moved, it takes a knight 4 moves to capture it.  White already used up its non-knight move so black probably wins.  For the knight to be on the rook square and put the king in check where must it be, and what piece needs to be moved to get there?  Black probably needs to put the white king's starting point in check and only has one non-knight move left, so white probably needs to capture one of the black pawns.  There are a number of assumptions there (like the knight that takes rook doesn't necessarily have to put the king in check), but they quickly lead to the solution and are fairly reasonable considering the small number of moves allowed.
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #7 on: Apr 10th, 2003, 11:06pm »

on Apr 10th, 2003, 8:07pm, SWF wrote:
This riddle was already on William Wu's main riddle page under the title "Chess Game Reconstruction".
I think that's the case because Thud send it to William.
Though it would be a good idea if the titles matched (in case someone tried to search for the topic based on the problem on the site)
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
ThudnBlunder
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

Re: Chess Game Reconstruction  
« Reply #8 on: Apr 11th, 2003, 12:57am »

Quote:
Though it would be a good idea if the titles matched (in case someone tried to search for the topic based on the problem on the site)  

Oops...mea culpa. I originally titled the thread 'SelfHelpMate in 5' but remembered that William had already named it something else. And perhaps I shouldn't have given the link to the ChessBase site; while making the puzzle more interesting, it also made it easier, as there are lots of hints available there.
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2003, 10:19am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Pages: 1  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »