wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Another Fork In The Road »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 6:08pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: Eigenray, Icarus, william wu, towr, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, Grimbal)
   Another Fork In The Road
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Another Fork In The Road  (Read 3458 times)
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

Another Fork In The Road  
« on: Jun 13th, 2003, 7:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I haven't seen this variation here yet (apologies if it is here already)

As usual, you are travelling in a strange country, and reach a fork in the road. As usual, the natives of the area have two classes: the lower class who are completely honest, and the aristocracy whose code of honour means they always speak the exact negation of the truth (the society being too primitive to have developed politicians - who always seek to decieve). Unfortunately, the local natives also come from two tribes, whose dialects are almost identical apart from the fact that one tribe's word for 'no' is the other tribe's word for 'yes' and vice versa. To complicate things further, while all members of both tribes understand english perfectly, in an attempt to attract increased tourism, all guides are required to speak in their native tongue at all times, and the only two words you know in either dialect are those for 'yes' and 'no'. Unfortunately you have no way of telling one native from another, so the guide at the fork you are approaching could be aristocrat or peasant, and could mean either 'yes' or 'no' when he responds to your question. The final straw is that the native guide was just going off duty and will clearly only wait for one question (and you recognise him from the village you stayed in three days ago so he isn't going your way).

You know that one of the paths leads to your next destination, while the other leads to certain death. Since you only have enough supplies to go forwards, not to return to your previous stop, your one question has to garner the information you need.

A note of caution: I made this variant up a while back, and can no longer remember whether a single question is sufficient. If not, then at most one additional question would be required.

A second note: I'm not sure this should be in 'Hard', but since the other Forks are...
IP Logged
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

Re: Another Fork In The Road  
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13th, 2003, 7:03pm »

The essentials of the puzzle appear to be similar to my Transylvanian Fork in the Road puzzle. Though yours makes more sense than mine. I was trying too hard to keep Smullyanic elements.

Concerning solvability - You need only 1 bit of information, so all you need is one "bal or da" question to get it. Its just a matter of phrasing it right that all the things you don't know will not have an effect on the answer.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #2 on: Jun 15th, 2003, 6:13am »

Good point. I was fairly sure I'd decided that it was a single question. And you're right, the transylvanian fork is equivalent (once you explain just what insanity means)
IP Logged
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Jul 30th, 2003, 7:29pm »

Since it is given than I know the two words for yes and no, I will call those bal and da just like in the Transylvanian Fork riddle.  Point to one of the roads and ask:
"If I were to ask if this was the road to my destination, would your answer be 'da'?"

If the answer to that is 'da' then you are pointing to the correct road, otherwise the other road is the one to take.

(Just like for the Transylvanian Fork riddle.)

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »