wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - duck in the pond part deux »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 8:48am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: william wu, towr, Eigenray, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, Grimbal)
   duck in the pond part deux
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: duck in the pond part deux  (Read 1901 times)
pjay

Email

duck in the pond part deux  
« on: Dec 3rd, 2003, 5:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

ok, so most of you have figured out how a duck escapes from the center of a circular pond when a 4x faster menacing creature awaits it at the edge of the pond, how bout a 5x faster monster?? (I don't know whether this can be done- in fact I now think that it cannot be done) For a harder problem, try to find a supremum for K where K represents how many times faster the monster is.  I have a lower bound on K, but have not solved the problem completely.  (obviously the lower bound is greater than 5).  Another question is: does it matter that we are working in 2 dimensions? (I do have an answer to this question)

More specifically, the creature runs 5x as fast as the duck swims but runs slower than the duck runs so if the duck ever manages to swim to a part of the edge of the pond where the creature hasn't yet reached then it lives (the problem is that the creature always moves in a direction which minimizes its distance to the duck- if two directions are equally minimizing, flip a fair coin).

« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2003, 11:37am by pjay » IP Logged
aero_guy
Senior Riddler

Email

Re: duck in the pond part deux  
« Reply #1 on: Dec 3rd, 2003, 6:10am »

So the duck runs more than five times as fast as it swims?  Odd...
IP Logged
aero_guy
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 3rd, 2003, 6:52am »

I thought I already solved this in the last thread but I guess not and I am not able to search.  Anyway, we take the first part of the last solution, where the duck is in equilibrium with the fox going round the pool.  Then we find the angle the duck should take towards the edge to reach the edge at the same time as the fox in terms of n, how many times faster the fox is.

Now we solve this equation for n, take dn/d[theta] and set it equal to zero to minimize.  This give us an equation for [theta], the angle measured from the center between the equilibrium starting point of the duck and where it hits the edge, of tan([theta])=[theta]+[pi].  Solve that (it comes out to about 1.352 rad) and plug it into the equation for n, n=cos([theta])+[sqrt](cos2([theta])-1+([theta]+[pi])2).

This gives me an answer of n=4.603, which is less than 5, so I guess I am on the wrong track.
IP Logged
Lightboxes

« Reply #3 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 11:06am »

Quote:
So the duck runs more than five times as fast as it swims?  Odd...

It took me a while...LOL
IP Logged

A job is not worth doing unless it's worth doing well.
aero_guy
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 9th, 2003, 9:39am »

Any hints would be appreciated.  As it is I am seeing things this way:

The farthest the duck can start from the center is R/K and still have the fox on the other side.  So long as the duck stays outside of this circle (with radius R/K) the fox will continue going in one direction around the pond after him.  Thus, the duck should take a straight line to the edge to minimize the time it takes him to get there (after waiting a milisecond to see which way the fox goes).

I can't see any way out other than for the duck to either wait for winter and the pond to freeze so it can just run, or use its frickin wings and fly for cryin out loud.
IP Logged
pjay

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 9th, 2003, 10:47am »

this hint will give it away so i've hidden it.

hint aeroguy says:
So long as the duck stays outside of this circle (with radius R/K) the fox will continue going in one direction around the pond after him.

the phrase "one direction" is a bad assumption to make
IP Logged
aero_guy
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 9th, 2003, 1:03pm »

I thought of something like this at first, but it does not seem workable.

:One way to screw up the fox would be to force it to keep changing directions.  This way you could stay almost 180 deg away from it, continually making a reversal of direction the ideal move.  In order for you to cause the fox to change direction you need to cause the radial distance between the fox and duck to be lower on one side than the other.  The only way to do this is if the radial velocity of the duck is greater than that of the fox, otherwise the fox will continue going in one radial direction, and reducing the angle between them.  This cannot happen outside of R/K.
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #7 on: Dec 9th, 2003, 1:48pm »

Suppose you had a rectangle, and the duck had to go from the top to the bottom, and the fox had to go from bottom-left to the right to catch the duck. Would you still propose the duck's optoimal path is to go straight down? (In the case of going straight to the shore this is equivalent to using polar coordinates in the original problem.  
In the polar plot of the optimal case I doubt it will be a straight line though, since angular speed decreases rapidly if you do that)
The goal is to reach the shore before the fox catches you, not keeping half a circle lead on him..
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2003, 2:15pm by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 10th, 2003, 6:24am »

I thought SWF and I had this problem licked in Duck in Pond II, but you're suggesting there's a better answer ... (BTW, it's the same answer Aero Guy got)

Towr wrote:
Quote:
...I doubt it will be a straight line though...

Grin
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2003, 6:27am by James Fingas » IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
pjay

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 10th, 2003, 8:39am »

remember aeorguy that the fox moves with the following algorithm.  It always tries to minimize it's distance with the duck.  (when two directions are equally good it flips a fair coin).  I can write a more explicit hint if you so desire, but i think you basically have the idea.  your last hidden comment was on the right track.  just try to figure out how to make it work.
IP Logged
aero_guy
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 10th, 2003, 8:57am »

The rectangle is a very different case, as how you measure the distance between the two is odd.  For example, if the fox is on the middle of one side and the duck is just out of his reach, the duck may make a straight line to the opposite edge and the fox would just sit there as moving in either direction would actually increse his distance to the duck until he reached the corner.

You actually would go in a straight line (though not the shortest distance to the edge) as anything less causes you to lose ground to the fox.  Draw any curved path from your starting point (R/K) to where you will hit the edge.  Whatever path you choose, so long as you stay outside of R/K the fox will continue in the same direction.  Therefore, wherever you choose to hit the edge your path will not change how long it takes the fox to get there.  So, if nothing you do can change how long it takes the fox to get there, you should take the fastest path possible, a straight line.  This will not be straight in polar coordinates, but a curve (it would only be straight if you travelled directly out from the center which is suboptimal).

However, the path from the center to the distance R/K will be a curve as you are trying to keep the fox opposite you.  This can be found by setting the radial velocities of the two animals identical.  Thus if the duck's velocity is V and its radial and azimuthal velocities are Vr and V[theta]:

V[theta]/r = KV/R

V[theta]2 + Vr2 = V2

V[theta] = KVr/R
Vr = V[sqrt](1-(Kr/R)2)

Solving these is not necessary to solve the problem, but it can be shown that you can get arbitrarily close to R/K with a curved path, after which you need to change to a sraight one.

modification: dang, you can't subscript [theta].  Also, pjay, my point was that I see what you are trying to do, or at least what I think you are trying to do, but that it is impossible.  As far as I can see once you cross the R/K threshold the fox will never change directions.

proof: Draw a line from the fox through the center to the opposite side.  By the nature of a circle, if you are on one side of this line you are closer in that direction for the fox.  Radial velocity on your part cannot change which side of the line you are on.  In order to move from one side of this line to the other your angular velocity must be greater than that of the fox.  If not he will simply approach you and make it even more difficult to get to the other side.  The fox's angular velocity is constant.  You have max angular velocity when radial velocity is zero.  Outside of R/K your angular velocity is always less than that of the fox.

How do you beat this?
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2003, 9:05am by aero_guy » IP Logged
aero_guy
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 10th, 2003, 9:09am »

Also, the only places where the fox will be flipping a coin are when you are at 180 and when you are a 0 deg distance.  I have shown you cannot maintain 180 deg close to the edge, 0 deg is useless as the fox is right on you.  Either you are seeing something unbelievably clever or you have made a mistake.
IP Logged
pjay

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 10th, 2003, 11:35am »

on Dec 10th, 2003, 9:09am, aero_guy wrote:
Either you are seeing something unbelievably clever or you have made a mistake.

I think it was the latter.  I agree with you aero when you say that the fox will not change directions beyond the circle of radius R/K, but now it makes me wonder what exactly is the solution to this problem (it was posed to me by a friend).  I'll ask him if even he has a solution, because it seems to me that aero's arguments are sound. i'll get back to you soon.
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #13 on: Dec 11th, 2003, 7:10am »

The only way I can think of for a duck to escape a fast fox is by taking off from the surface of the pond and flying away...

As to the side issue of higher dimensions, assuming a spherical "pond" (maybe a buried space-ship is attempting to launch without getting boarded by the local customs officer - whose helicopter can fly faster than the space-ship can burrow but as soon as the ship clears atmosphere, it can jump to hyperspace... Oh, and the ship can survive at the core of the planet) I think you get the same solution as the circular 2D pond - if you look at the great circle connecting the closest point on the sphere's surface to the prey with the location of the predator, then if the prey moves so as to change that great circle, he always decreases the length of the arc segment faster than keeping the same radial behaviour but with angular components moving along the great circle.
IP Logged
pjay

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 25th, 2003, 11:43am »

my colleague who posed this to me agrees that 4/(4-pi) is the best one can do...
IP Logged
Patashu

Patashu0
Email

« Reply #15 on: Sep 2nd, 2004, 4:29am »

on Dec 10th, 2003, 8:39am, pjay wrote:
remember aeorguy that the fox moves with the following algorithm.  It always tries to minimize it's distance with the duck.  (when two directions are equally good it flips a fair coin).  I can write a more explicit hint if you so desire, but i think you basically have the idea.  your last hidden comment was on the right track.  just try to figure out how to make it work.

Aha! So, to win you must force the fox to flip a coin, then while it's distracted with the coin you slip past!

Unless it's a grand master speed coin-flipper or something. Are foxes eligable for titles like that?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »