wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Mutually Touching Objects »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 10:41am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: towr, Eigenray, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, Grimbal, william wu)
   Mutually Touching Objects
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Mutually Touching Objects  (Read 847 times)
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

Mutually Touching Objects  
« on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 9:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

1. What is the maximum number of convex polygons in the plane, non-overlapping and such that any pair of them have a common boundary of positive length?

2. What is the maximum number of convex polyhedra in the 3D space, non-overlapping and such that any pair of them have a common boundary of positive area?
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2004, 12:25am by Barukh » IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Mutually Touching Objects  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:20am »

on Jan 23rd, 2004, 9:38am, Barukh wrote:
1. What is the maximum number of convex polygons, non-overlapping and such that any pair of them have a common boundary of positive length?
infinitely many, in infinite dimensional space.. Tongue (Or even in just 3D space actually..)
::for 2D I can get at least 4::

Quote:
2. What is the maximum number of convex polyhedra, non-overlapping and such that any pair of them have a common boundary of positive area?
Probably also infinite for nD (n>3) space Grin
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:20am by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24th, 2004, 12:28am »

OK, I forgot to mention that the objects should be considered in corresponding dimensions  Wink - I modified the problem statement.
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24th, 2004, 3:44am »

1)::The four-colour theorem states that for any arrangement of connected regions in the plane, they can be coloured using four colours such that no adjacent regions share a colour, so no subset of five or more regions, be they convex or otherwise can touch each other. Finding a set of four convex polygons is easy.::

2) I've only managed a lower bound on this one ::5 - four arranged tetrahedrally with a little one in the middle:: though for non-convex, the answer is of course that you can get arbitrarily many.

[e]Someday I'll get the hang on hide tags...[/e]
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2004, 3:46am by rmsgrey » IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24th, 2004, 4:21am »

2) Further thought reminds me that this is a general case of Cigarettes Max Clique - one of the long-term unsolved problems (currently stuck at 7 for long enough identical cylinders; 8 for varying lengths)

[e]fixed link[/e]
[e2]re-fixed link[/e2]
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2004, 1:18pm by rmsgrey » IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Jan 25th, 2004, 6:46am »

Good observations, rmsgrey  Cheesy! Despite some similiarity to the mentioned problem, the answer is completely different. In fact, it's much much bigger. Remember: there's no resitriction on the shapes of polyhedra.
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25th, 2004, 10:32am »

There is a pretty big restriction on the shapes of polyhedra - they're required to be convex - without which, there is no upper bound.

I forgot to say that, while the cigarettes problem is a special case (and currently stalled without proof), the general case may well be easier to solve.
IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25th, 2004, 10:53am »

on Jan 25th, 2004, 10:32am, rmsgrey wrote:
There is a pretty big restriction on the shapes of polyhedra - they're required to be convex - without which, there is no upper bound.

Well, what I meant: they don't need to have the same shape, and the shape mustn't be cylindrical.
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 25th, 2004, 11:15am »

There is another difference with the cigarette case, the objects mustn't only touch, but must share a non-zero area boundary (as is stipulated in the puzzle) This pretty much rules out cylinders for consideration..
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: Jan 25th, 2004, 4:05pm »

But it's not hard to modify cylinders to provide a non-zero area in contact without sacrificing their convexity - just replace them with n-gon prisms for some large n
IP Logged
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Jan 27th, 2004, 6:49pm »

An infinite number of polyhedra can fit condition 2.  I already drew one picture for the riddles forum today, and don't feel like making another one today. Perhaps there is an easier to describe method, but my idea is basically to start with polyhedron number 1 as a large flat block, and cut with a plane to remove a thin wedge. Call that wedge polyhedron 2 and put back in place.  Keep cutting with new planes at strategic locations so it cuts all the previous shapes, remove the new thin wedge (containing pieces from each of the pre-existing polyhedra) and replace by a single polyhedron and repeat.  The cut must be done correctly so it does not ruin the other polyhedra all touching one another.  

There is a systematic way of doing this, and cutting a convex polyhedron with a plane always leaves convex polyhedra.  Maybe I will try to draw it and more clearly explain tomorrow.
IP Logged
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

Behold, the power of cheese!

5187759 5187759   john23874   SnowmanJTG
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 28th, 2004, 5:49am »

on Jan 24th, 2004, 3:44am, rmsgrey wrote:
1)::The four-colour theorem states that for any arrangement of connected regions in the plane, they can be coloured using four colours such that no adjacent regions share a colour, so no subset of five or more regions, be they convex or otherwise can touch each other. Finding a set of four convex polygons is easy.::

I thought the problem was restricted to polygons touching along a boundary with positive length, so corners don't count. The four-color theorem implies corners, or boundaries of zero length.
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
Quetzycoatl

Re: Mutually Touching Objects   4ConvexPolygonsMutuallyAdjacent.gif
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28th, 2004, 10:54am »

on Jan 28th, 2004, 5:49am, John_Gaughan wrote:

I thought the problem was restricted to polygons touching along a boundary with positive length, so corners don't count. The four-color theorem implies corners, or boundaries of zero length.

Actually I think it excludes 0 length boundaries. Anyway here is an example of 4 convex polygons sharing non-zero length positive boundaries.
IP Logged

John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

Behold, the power of cheese!

5187759 5187759   john23874   SnowmanJTG
WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 28th, 2004, 12:12pm »

Thank you for the image, I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'm a little slower than usual today Wink
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #14 on: Jan 28th, 2004, 3:13pm »

And Quetzycoatl is correct about the 4-color theorem. It only counts regions as adjacent if they share a border of positive length. If you counted touching only at a single point, maps requiring an arbitrary number N of colors are easy to draw: choose a point and draw N distinct rays out from it. This divides the plane into N regions all of which touch at the common point.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #15 on: Jan 29th, 2004, 11:47pm »

on Jan 27th, 2004, 6:49pm, SWF wrote:
An infinite number of polyhedra can fit condition 2...

Bravo, SWF, that's right! Just to make it more clear: how many faces the polyhedron #N has in your construction?
IP Logged
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #16 on: Apr 29th, 2004, 8:48am »

I seem to remember there is a solution with an infinite number of polhedras all identical.  They look like a 3d parabola approximated with flat faces.

PS: I have given it another thought tonight, and what I was thinking of does not work.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2004, 1:29am by Grimbal » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »