wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Sum of possible combination »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 4:41am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: Icarus, SMQ, towr, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, william wu)
   Sum of possible combination
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sum of possible combination  (Read 470 times)
Viperdude619

Email

Sum of possible combination  
« on: Feb 14th, 2004, 6:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Suppose x and y are whole numbers, with x < y. Find the sum of all the sums of all the numbers in unique combinations of whole numbers between x and y, inclusive.

I know that's a mouthful, so I'll give an example below.

Say x = 1 and y = 3. We then are looking at the numbers 1 through 3, or {1, 2, 3}, to work with. We want to find all the possible unique combinations of these numbers. They would be:

{1},
{2},
{3},
{1, 2},
{1, 3},
{2, 3},
{1, 2, 3}.

That's all of them. So we want the sum of all of the sums of the numbers in each combination, so we'd have

(1) + (2) + (3) + (1 + 2) + (1 + 3) + (2 + 3) + (1 + 2 + 3) = 24.

Get it? I hope so. So what I'm asking you is to give me a general formula to find this number, given any x and y.

If I didn't explain this well enough, please let me know, and I'll try to do a better job. I know it's strangely wordy.
IP Logged
SWF
Uberpuzzler

Re: Sum of possible combination  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14th, 2004, 7:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This one probably belongs in the Easy or Medium section.  Hard problems should take more than a minute to solve (solution hidden, highlight to read):
(y*(y+1)-x*(x-1))*2y-x-1.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »