wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - 100 tails »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 10:19am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: Grimbal, SMQ, william wu, ThudnBlunder, Icarus, towr, Eigenray)
   100 tails
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 100 tails  (Read 2083 times)
NickH
Senior Riddler

100 tails  
« on: Apr 30th, 2004, 8:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A fair coin is tossed until it shows tails 100 times.  

Given that the longest run of consecutive heads (which may have occurred one or more times) was five heads, what is the expected number of heads shown?  What if the longest run of consecutive heads had been 10?
IP Logged

Nick's Mathematical Puzzles
william wu
wu::riddles Administrator

Re: 100 tails   100tails.gif
« Reply #1 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 2:30pm »

We have a sequence of heads and tails, with exactly 100 tails, where the last flip is a tail. In between each tail, we can have at most k heads.  

Let X = total number of heads shown. Then we can express X as the sum of 100 random variables X_1 through X_100, where X_i corresponds to the number of consecutive heads in between the (i-1)th and ith tails. Note that X_1 is then the number of heads at the start of the sequence, which could be 0 if the sequence starts with a tail.

We then wish to compute

E(X | max(X_i) = k) = E( X_1 + ... + X_100 | max(X_i) = k)

for some constant k (5 or 10 in NickH's problem statement).

With the conditioning, at least one of the X_i's must be exactly k. Without loss of generality, let this be X_100 (I think that by commutativity of addition it doesn't matter for which X_i this maximum occurs). Pulling X_100 out of the expecation, we then have

E(X | max(X_i) = k) = k + E( X_1 + ... + X_99 | X1 through X99 are each <= k)

The remaining variables X_1 through X_99 are now upper-bounded by k. We then apply linearity of expectation and compute conditional expectations:

E(X | max(X_i) = k)  
      = k + [sum]i=1 to 99E[Xi | Xi <= k]       
      = k + 99 * E[X1 | X1 <= k]       

To compute this expectation we will have to normalize by the prior probability Pr(X1 <= k). Recall that X_1 is the number of flips between two tails. Thus X_1 follows a geometric distribution, but shifted "left" by one flip (and thus has expectation "1" for a fair coin, rather than "2"). For instance, Pr(X_1 = 0) = 1/2, Pr(X_1 = 1) = (1 - 1/2)*(1/2), etc. In general,

Pr(X_1 = m) = (1/2)m+1  for m = 0, 1, 2, ...

To compute Pr(X_1 <= k), we thus have

Pr(X_1 <= k) = [sum]m = 0 to k Pr(X_1 = m) = [sum]m = 0 to k (1/2)^(m+1) = 1 - (1/2)k+1.

Thus,

E[X1 | X1 <= k] = (1 - (1/2)k+1)-1 * [sum]m = 0 to k m (1/2)m+1

which after some annoying manipulation of geometric series identities (take the derivative) and algebraic simplification, is reducible to

E[X1 | X1 <= k] = (2k+1 - k - 2)/(2k+1 - 1).

Checking some values of k shows that this expression agrees with intuition. When k is very large, we are conditioning on a very rare event (k tails in a row), and the expectation should agree with the unconditioned geometric expectation; indeed, as k is large, the conditional expectation approaches 1. And as k is smaller, the conditional expectation is less than 1. For k = 2, the conditional expectation is 0.5714.

Thus the final result is

E(X | max(X_i) = k)  = k + 99*(2k+1 - k - 2)/(2k+1 - 1)

A plot of this as a function of k is shown below. (It should be a discrete plot but the points have been interpolated for illustrative purposes.) For k = 5 and 10, we have E(X | max(X_i) = 5)  = 94.5714 and E(X | max(X_i) = 10)  = 108.468. Note that if we did not know anything about the maximal run length, then the expected head count would simply be 100. At around k = 8, the conditioned event X_i <= k has such high probability that this conditioning has little effect on our expected head count. Afterwards we see a virtually linear growth rate due to the linear growth of the "X_100 = k" term out in front, and the fact that the other term ((2k+1 - k - 2)/(2k+1 - 1)) is roughly equal to 1. This can be better seen in the second plot (see second posting), which replaces the X_100 term with a 1.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2004, 6:25pm by william wu » IP Logged

[ wu ] : http://wuriddles.com / http://forums.wuriddles.com
william wu

Re: 100 tails   100tails2.gif
« Reply #2 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 2:32pm »

The second graph, attached below

Private mental thought: Perhaps someone will catch an error in all this and these plots will be for naught Smiley
IP Logged

Rezyk

Email

Re: 100 tails  
« Reply #3 on: Aug 6th, 2004, 11:24pm »

Quote:

With the conditioning, at least one of the X_i's must be exactly k. Without loss of generality, let this be X_100 (I think that by commutativity of addition it doesn't matter for which X_i this maximum occurs). Pulling X_100 out of the expecation, we then have  

I believe that WLOG doesn't hold there.  Consider the simpler scenario of flipping until 2 tails are accumulated, with the longest run of heads being 1.  The equivalent argument would give

E(X_1+X_2 | max(X_1,X_2)=1) = 1+E(X_1 | X1<=k)  
6/5 = 4/3
IP Logged
william wu

« Reply #4 on: Aug 7th, 2004, 2:38am »

Thanks for the heads-up Rezyk. I got 6/5 as well from considering the possible sequences HTHT, HTT, and THT with respective posteriori probabilities of 0.2,0.4, and 0.4 respectively. However, I'm having trouble figuring out the problem with this line, if anything:

E[ X1 + ... + Xn | max(X1,...,Xn) = k ] = k + E[ X1 + ... + Xn-1 | each X_i <= k ]

Even if we consider the many possible slots in which the maximum occurs, all are equally likely, so the end result is the right-hand side. Hmm.

Also I did a Monte Carlo simulation of the process which stops after 2 tails, and the maximum head runlength is 1. But I'm not getting 6/5, nor 4/3.  Rather, I get around 1.13, and inexplicably, there are over twice more THT strings than HTT strings. Maybe my program still has a bug in it; but if someone does his/her own experiment, do tell what you get.
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2004, 2:43am by william wu » IP Logged

asterix

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 7th, 2004, 3:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The math to tell you where the problem might be is beyond me, but I did a Monte Carlo and got the logical 1.2 for that simple example. When tails was set at 100 I got: for
k : Result
3 : 74
4 : 84
5 : 92
6 : 97.5
7 : 102
8 : 105
9 : 107
10 : 108.5
11 : 110
12 : 111
IP Logged
Rezyk

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 8th, 2004, 9:46pm »

Quote:
Even if we consider the many possible slots in which the maximum occurs, all are equally likely, so the end result is the right-hand side. Hmm.

If each "this slot is maximum" event were mutually exclusive, then the WLOG argument would follow...
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2004, 9:47pm by Rezyk » IP Logged
william wu

« Reply #7 on: Aug 9th, 2004, 10:17pm »

Rezyk, good point. The statement

is convincing at first, but subtly false, since the events

X_1 <= k, X_2 <= k, ...., X_(n-1) <=k, X_n = k
X_1 <= k, X_2 <= k, ...., X_(n-1) =k, X_n <= k
X_1 = k, X_2 <= k, ...., X_(n-1) <=k, X_n <= k

are not mutually exclusive. Namely, there can be ties. Although it is interesting to note that if we were working with continuous distributions, the statement above would be true. Anyhow, so now we may have to do some inclusion-exclusion stuff, which I'm too lazy to think about at the moment.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »