wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Variation of Daughter's age problem »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 10th, 2024, 2:50pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: william wu, SMQ, towr, Grimbal, Eigenray, Icarus, ThudnBlunder)
   Variation of Daughter's age problem
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Variation of Daughter's age problem  (Read 2741 times)
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

Re: Variation of Daughter's age problem  
« Reply #25 on: Dec 1st, 2004, 10:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The routine looks good, though I can't be bothered to do a formal correctness proof...

I had wondered a little about the >40 thing, but couldn't convince myself either way...
IP Logged
SWF
Uberpuzzler

Re: Variation of Daughter's age problem  
« Reply #26 on: Dec 1st, 2004, 6:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I still think "between 2 and 100" means 2 and 100 are not included.  I think the answer should therefore be (13,16) instead of (4,13).  Although 2 and 100 were included the first time I encountered this problem, one should answer the question posed, not the most similar problem you can find elsewhere.

on Nov 30th, 2004, 9:08pm, Icarus wrote:

No - My argument was that Mr. P's second statement does not help Mr. S sufficiently. For each of the 6 possible values Mr. S had, it still left more than one pair of numbers that satisfied all previous statements. Or so I thought:

Sorry, I didn't read the details. I thought you had narrowed it down to 4*13 and 8*9.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »