wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Products of powers of consecutive integers »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 4:11pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, SMQ, Icarus, Grimbal, william wu, towr)
   Products of powers of consecutive integers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Products of powers of consecutive integers  (Read 626 times)
NickH
Senior Riddler

Products of powers of consecutive integers  
« on: Apr 16th, 2005, 7:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Is it true that for each k > 0, for every integer n, the product
f(n, k) = (n - k)(n - k + 1)2(n - k + 2)3...nk+1...(n + k - 2)3(n + k - 1)2(n + k)
is divisible by f(k+1, k)?

For example, this is true for k = 2:  
(n - 2)(n - 1)2n3(n + 1)2(n + 2)  
is indeed divisible by 1.22.33.42.5 = 8640, for every integer n.
IP Logged

Nick's Mathematical Puzzles
Deedlit
Senior Riddler

Re: Products of powers of consecutive integers  
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17th, 2005, 4:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The following was more compact in my head than when I actually wrote it out.   Sad

hidden:

The problem is equivalent to showing that for any prime p, the maximal power of p that divides f(n, k) is at least that which divides f(k+1, k).  Since the maximal power of p that divides a product Prod(ai) is

[sum]k (# of terms that pk divides),

it suffices to show that every number m divides at least as many terms in f(n, k) as in f(k+1, k). (Count each n [pm] i term individually.)  Let P(n, k) = n(n-1)...(n-k+1); we have f(n,k) = Prodi=0k P(n+i, k+1).  But the number of terms that m divides in P(x, y) is either Ceiling[y/m] or Floor[y/m], and depends on the modulus class of m that x falls in; some initial classes 1,2,...,z yield Floor[y/m], and the remaining classes yield Ceiling[y/m].  The terms in f(k+1, k) = Prodi=0k P(k+i+1, k+1) start from k+2 = 1 mod (k+1), and this clearly leads to the maximum number of terms with value Floor[y/m], and therefore f(k+1,k) has the minimum value for the number of terms that m divides.  So m divides at least as many terms of f(n, k) as terms of f(k+1, k), which is what we wanted to prove.

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »