wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - A cube of friends »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 11:19pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: william wu, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, towr, Grimbal, Icarus, SMQ)
   A cube of friends
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A cube of friends  (Read 736 times)
Sorites

A cube of friends  
« on: Feb 8th, 2006, 12:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A person has N friends where N (0, positive infinity).  THe probabilities are not evenly distributed.  You can determine the probability of having N friends such that P(N) = 3^(-N).

A person can be said to have a square of friends if they have 9 friends whose Initials can be written in a 3x3 grid.  They have a cube of friends if they have 27 friends such that they can write their initials in a 3x3x3.

Imagine initials to be distributed evenly -- from A to Z.

What is the probability of a person having a square of friends.  What is the probability of having a cube of friends.
IP Logged
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Re: A cube of friends  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 12:55am »

Sum(3-N) is 1.5  If you want a probability, you should use P(N) = 2/3·3-N

And I don't understand what exactly is meant by the condition "initials can be written in a 3x3 grid".  Do they have 2-letter initials?  Should the initials match by row and by column?  What about a cube of friends?  Wouldn't it mean they have 3-letter initials?

I'd be happy you clarify.
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #2 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 6:56pm »

I agree. Since there is nothing mentioned that prevents an arbitrary group of 9 people from writing their initials in a grid, your answers would be P(9) = 2*3-10 and P(27) = 2*3-28, respectively. So as stated, the only tricky thing to it is recognizing that P(N)=3-N is not a valid probability.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Eigenray
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 9:16pm »

I'm guessing the intention was:

While (rand(0..1) < 1/3): add a random (iid uniform) element of [A-Z]x[A-Z] to your (multi-)set S of friends.

What is the probability that S contains a subset of the form AxB, with |A|=|B|=3 (counting multiplicity, maybe)?

The probability of S, chosen in this way from a set of size N, failing to contain a given (nonmulti-)set of size n is
(1-p)[sum]r=1n (-1)r-1 (nCr)/[1 - p(1-r/N) ].
But one can't simply raise this to the (26C3)2 power, as the events of S containing two given squares are not independent.  And if we have to factor in multiplicity . . . urgh.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »