wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - 100 people, 100 numbers »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 5:40pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: william wu, Icarus, towr, SMQ, Eigenray, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder)
   100 people, 100 numbers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 100 people, 100 numbers  (Read 6627 times)
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

Re: 100 people, 100 numbers  
« Reply #25 on: Sep 7th, 2007, 4:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Sep 4th, 2007, 9:05pm, Obob wrote:
They have NO CONNECTION.  For the love of god, at least read the riddle before you post.

Hee hee, calm down Obob, he's not worth it.  Tongue
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Obob
Senior Riddler

« Reply #26 on: Sep 7th, 2007, 7:00am »

I know he's not.  It's just so annoying though, that he and some other newbies, most of whom have become bored and left, conduct themselves in such a manner.  While I've been reading most of the forums for about 4 years now, I have not even attained 150 posts yet.  The reason for this?  I think before I post, and try to only post when I have something interesting to add to the conversation.

To see the boards watered down with so many terrible posts pains me.  It pains me even more to see the hard and putnam sections corrupted by somebody who has absolutely no business posting "solutions" within 2 minutes of "reading" the threads.  Having to sift through so much crap because a 13-year-old thinks its fun to make a fool and an ass of himself sucks.

Of course, srn347 won't read this post.  But yes, I am talking about him.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2007, 7:02am by Obob » IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #27 on: Sep 7th, 2007, 9:28am »

on Sep 7th, 2007, 7:00am, Obob wrote:
While I've been reading most of the forums for about 4 years now, I have not even attained 150 posts yet.  The reason for this?  I think before I post, and try to only post when I have something interesting to add to the conversation.

I would like to tell you, Obob, that I always read your posts with great interest!

IP Logged
Aryabhatta
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #28 on: Sep 7th, 2007, 3:49pm »

on Sep 7th, 2007, 9:28am, Barukh wrote:

I would like to tell you, Obob, that I always read your posts with great interest!

Second that.
IP Logged
Obob
Senior Riddler

« Reply #29 on: Sep 7th, 2007, 11:55pm »

Thanks, guys.  I didn't mean for that to come out so harsh, but you can imagine my frustration with all my posts directed at him being nearly completely ignored.
IP Logged
mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

A rich man is one who is content; not wealthy.

« Reply #30 on: Sep 8th, 2007, 3:22am »

on Sep 7th, 2007, 11:55pm, Obob wrote:
Thanks, guys.  I didn't mean for that to come out so harsh, but you can imagine my frustration with all my posts directed at him being nearly completely ignored.

I think totally. Nearly would imply that he hasn't ignored them. This is not the case.
IP Logged

"It's not that I'm correct, it's that you're just not correct, and so; I am right." - M.P.E.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Uberpuzzler

Sorry Goose, it's time to buzz a tower.

Email

« Reply #31 on: Sep 8th, 2007, 10:22am »

on Sep 8th, 2007, 3:22am, mikedagr8 wrote:

I think totally. Nearly would imply that he hasn't ignored them. This is not the case.

This is a little ridiculous.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2007, 10:22am by Whiskey Tango Foxtrot » IP Logged

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei
Ajax

« Reply #32 on: Sep 10th, 2007, 3:07pm »

A predefined someone will go stand somewhere.
Whatever his number is, that many will move to another place (they will have already discussed who will walk first, second, etc).
By counting them, he will know his number.
In case the number is 100 (only 99 will be left), then no one will move.
IP Logged

mmm
RandomSam

« Reply #33 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 4:38pm »

on Mar 25th, 2007, 3:19pm, Eigenray wrote:
N=2: prisoner 1 assumes the sum is 1, i.e., they're different; and prisoner 2 assumes the sum is 2, i.e., they're the same.

For N=3, the three prisoners A, B and C can guess B+C, A+2C+2 and A + 2B + 1 (mod 3) respectively.  I found that result by trial and error using a truth table, but can't yet find a similar solution or N=4. Undecided

EDIT: Woo! Found a general solution for any size!  Will explain soon - it's stupidly late at night here.
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2007, 5:49pm by RandomSam » IP Logged
SMQ
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #34 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 7:32pm »

on Oct 3rd, 2007, 4:38pm, RandomSam wrote:
EDIT: Woo! Found a general solution for any size!  Will explain soon - it's stupidly late at night here.

Does it look anything like this solution posted earlier? Wink  If so, congratulations!  That solution is both elegant and non-trivial to come up with.

--SMQ
IP Logged

--SMQ

RandomSam

« Reply #35 on: Oct 4th, 2007, 6:05am »

on Oct 3rd, 2007, 7:32pm, SMQ wrote:
Does it look anything like this solution posted earlier? Wink  If so, congratulations!  That solution is both elegant and non-trivial to come up with.
Heh.... when reading the thread through, I was sure that solution had been proved wrong!  On closer inspection, it turns out our algorithms aren't that different, but Eigenray expresses his much more elegantly than I did.  
hidden:
Given the condition that only one prisoner must guess correctly, I realised that the guesses g must be some linear function of the hat numbers x.
g = M x + c (mod 100)
Where M is a matrix which must have zeros along its diagonal, since your guess gi can't depend on your own hat xi.
g-x = (M - I)x + c (mod 100) must have one and only one zero element.
The solution to this that I found is
/-1111...1\
|1-1-1-1...-1|
(M - I)=|1-1-1-1...-1|
|1-1-1-1...-1|
|:::::.:|
\1-1-1-1...-1/
which basically results in a "leader" (the top row) guessing the sum of everyone else's hats (mod 100), and each other prisoner guessing with the leader's hat minus the sum of everyone else's hat, minus their own uniquely pre-allocated badge (again, mod 100).
Eigenray's solution equates to this matrix:
/1111...1\
|1111...1|
(M - I)= -|1111...1|
|1111...1|
|:::::.:|
\1111...1/
Perhaps it is obvious why that is simpler.
Whoa... hidden tables are difficult in BBCode... sorry for repeated edits as I try to get it all right!
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2007, 10:58am by RandomSam » IP Logged
Hippo
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #36 on: Oct 6th, 2007, 3:22pm »

It seems to me both solutions correspond to general concept of latin hypercube solution.
The original solution was numbered by distance from origin, your numbering is more complicated.
IP Logged
Hippo
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #37 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 8:53am »

on Jul 11th, 2007, 3:31pm, Hippo wrote:

I have tought about the problem a litlle bit ... any function from n^n->n which gives all n values when you fix arbitrary n-1 coordinates can be used instead of sum mod n. k-th prisoner chooses his coordinate such that the function gives value k ...
this guaranties exactly one prisoner guesses correctly. It seems to me every solution can be described this way, otherwise you cannot guarantee "synchronised answers" ... no more, no less than one prisoner guesses correctly.

(Probably Eigenray told the same in previous posts? ... how many such functions ("latin hypercubes") are there?)

Actually the first paragraph is correct, but not only latin hypercubes are the solutions.  
(0 0 1 | 1 2 0 | 2 1 2
 0 2 1 | 2 0 1 | 1 2 0
 2 1 2 | 0 1 2 | 1 0 0) is not latin hypercube and is solution as well.
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2008, 1:23pm by Hippo » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »