wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Combinatorics »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 3:17pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: towr, Eigenray, william wu, SMQ, ThudnBlunder, Grimbal, Icarus)
   Combinatorics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Combinatorics  (Read 1333 times)
Benny
Uberpuzzler

Combinatorics  
« on: Feb 10th, 2008, 3:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

How to prove that for large N, the greatest integer K for which N*(N-1)(N-2)*....(N-K)/(N^K) is  
greater than 0.5 is approximately sqrt(N) ?
IP Logged

If we want to understand our world — or how to change it — we must first understand the rational choices that shape it.
Hippo
Uberpuzzler

Re: Combinatorics  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 9:12am »

Isn't it the birthday paradox ... Wink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_paradox

Approximation by e0/Ne1/N...eK/N=e(K+1)K/2N

As the expression should be constant K is proportional to sqrt N.
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2008, 9:23am by Hippo » IP Logged
Albert_W.

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17th, 2008, 11:11pm »

I have a problem that is too tough for me to solve.

Marriage Theorem: The marriage problem requires us to match n girls with the set of n boys.

However, suppose we have N men and M women.
Furthermore, suppose each man makes a list of women that he is willing to marry.  

Now suppose we have the property that if any one of the given men (from 1 to N) is ignored, then the remaining N-1 men can be paired off with the M women such that each man has a wife. However, let it be such that if all men are considered, then it is not possible for all N men to be married.  

The question:  
How to find integers N and M (representing men and women) and then find N subsets of M (representing the N different lists of women each man makes for women they are willing to marry) such that the above property holds, or prove that such construction cannot occur?
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #3 on: Jun 18th, 2008, 12:20am »

on Jun 17th, 2008, 11:11pm, Albert_W. wrote:
I have a problem that is too tough for me to solve.

Marriage Theorem: The marriage problem requires us to match n girls with the set of n boys.

However, suppose we have N men and M women.
Furthermore, suppose each man makes a list of women that he is willing to marry.  

Now suppose we have the property that if any one of the given men (from 1 to N) is ignored, then the remaining N-1 men can be paired off with the M women such that each man has a wife. However, let it be such that if all men are considered, then it is not possible for all N men to be married.  

The question:  
How to find integers N and M (representing men and women) and then find N subsets of M (representing the N different lists of women each man makes for women they are willing to marry) such that the above property holds, or prove that such construction cannot occur?
You could take 3 men, and two women. Clearly not all men can be paired off with a woman.
Now suppose that man A only want to marry woman #1, man B only wants to marry woman #2, and man C is willing to marry either. Then eliminating any of the three men will allow you to pair off the other two. (You can easily generalize this for N=M+1)

It may be trickier if all the subsets need to be the same size.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Eigenray
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Jun 18th, 2008, 1:28am »

Since any N-1 men can be married, we know that for any subset of the men of size k < N, there are at least k women who can be married to at least one of those men.

Now it follows from Hall's marriage theorem that all N men can be married iff there are at least N women, ignoring the women who can't be married at all.
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2008, 1:31am by Eigenray » IP Logged
Albert_W.

« Reply #5 on: Jun 18th, 2008, 11:15am »

Please correct me if i'm wrong:

In order to ensure that not all N men can be married off, we can just take M = N - 1 for the number of women. Doing this such that we still have the property that any N-1 men can be married is easy so long as the conditions of Hall's theorem are met. Consider the following example for instance.  

M1 = (1,3)  
M2 = (1,3,4)  
M3 = (4,2)  
M4 = (3,2)  
M5 = (1).  

We see that any proper subset of size k has at least k elements, therefore by Hall's theorem we have that any 4 of the 5 men can be married, but clearly we cannot marry off all 5 men since there are only 4 women.
IP Logged
Albert_W.

« Reply #6 on: Jun 18th, 2008, 11:08pm »

on Jun 18th, 2008, 11:15am, Albert_W. wrote:
Please correct me if i'm wrong:

In order to ensure that not all N men can be married off, we can just take M = N - 1 for the number of women. Doing this such that we still have the property that any N-1 men can be married is easy so long as the conditions of Hall's theorem are met. Consider the following example for instance.  

M1 = (1,3)  
M2 = (1,3,4)  
M3 = (4,2)  
M4 = (3,2)  
M5 = (1).  

We see that any proper subset of size k has at least k elements, therefore by Hall's theorem we have that any 4 of the 5 men can be married, but clearly we cannot marry off all 5 men since there are only 4 women.

I'm sorry for asking again: is this correct?

A friend and classmate wrote the solution.

IP Logged
Hippo
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Jun 19th, 2008, 1:19am »

Is assumption in Hall's theorem restricted to PROPER subsets?
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #8 on: Jun 19th, 2008, 5:59am »

on Jun 18th, 2008, 11:08pm, Albert_W. wrote:

I'm sorry for asking again: is this correct?

A friend and classmate wrote the solution.

It is an example of a situation which satisfies the conditions laid down in the problem statement. Eigenray has already stated the precise condition for all N men to get married, given that any N-1 of them can be - namely that, between them, they are willing to marry N different women.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »