wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Truth, Falsehood, and Randomness - Minor Variant »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 4:23am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: Eigenray, towr, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, Icarus, william wu, SMQ)
   Truth, Falsehood, and Randomness - Minor Variant
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Truth, Falsehood, and Randomness - Minor Variant  (Read 1022 times)
Tasselfoot

Truth, Falsehood, and Randomness - Minor Variant  
« on: Mar 23rd, 2008, 4:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So, first off, I searched as well as I could and could not find a single topic for this riddle.  A similar riddle to this has been posed to a group of us on another forum, although with an additional twist.

You have 3 people, one always tells the truth, one always lies, and one will do whatever he wants (truth or lie, arbitrarily).  In addition, they understand English (or whatever language the question asker is asking in), but will only respond in their own language, which the question asker does not know (so you do not initially know if they are saying yes or no).  But their responses will always be yes or no, so they will only say 1 of 2 things.  The goal is to use 3 yes/no questions to determine which of the 3 is which.

So firstly, I'm curious as to whether the language barrier addition will actually change which questions need to be asked...  and beyond that, I'm still unclear as to which questions need to be asked.  

I believe you need to ask questions such as "Would he tell me that you lie?" or something like that, to all three...  something that runs the question through 2 of them.  Using that with 3 combinations of the guys, perhaps you can determine it?  

Trying to work it out myself is giving me a bit of a headache, so all assistance is appreciated.
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2008, 4:14pm by Tasselfoot » IP Logged
Random Lack of Squiggily Lines
Senior Riddler

Everything before 7/1/2008 is now irrelevant.

Re: Truth, Falsehood, and Randomness - Minor Varia  
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23rd, 2008, 6:23pm »

This probally has a lot to do with the past present future puxxle
IP Logged

You can only believe i what you can prove, and since you have nothing proven to cmpare to, you can believe in nothing.

I have ~50 posts to hack a "R" into a "D". Which one?
Tasselfoot

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23rd, 2008, 8:31pm »

Just looked at that riddle...  and yes, it seems to have to do with that one as well.

Call it a combinational variant of both Truth, Falsehood, and Randomness AND Past, Present, and Future.  Since it is not identical to either, but has complete elements of TFR plus elements of PPF.
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 2:17am »

This problem is very similar to "The Gods of Gibberland" as well, except there the last person is not entirely random.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »