wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Prisoner guessing game (harder version) »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 12:54am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: towr, Eigenray, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, william wu, Grimbal)
   Prisoner guessing game (harder version)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Prisoner guessing game (harder version)  (Read 2644 times)
wonderful

Prisoner guessing game (harder version)  
« on: May 3rd, 2008, 7:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Note in this version: there are three colors for hats; the prisoners are asked from the first to infinity; they couldn't hear other answers.  

Infinite number of  prisoners are placed in a line, facing forward so they can see everyone in front of them in line.  The warden will place either a  red, white, or green hat on each prisoner’s head, and then starting from the beginning of the line, he will ask each prisoner what the color of his own hat is (ie, he first asks the person who can see all other prisoners).  Any prisoner who is correct may go free.  No prisoner can hear everyone else’s guesses.  If all the prisoners can agree on a strategy beforehand, what is the best strategy?

Have A Great Day!
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2008, 1:51am by wonderful » IP Logged
Hippo
Uberpuzzler

Re: Prisoner guessing game (harder version)  
« Reply #1 on: May 4th, 2008, 3:23am »

Does the prisoners receive any information ... does they know at leat the answer was OK?

Otherwise the order of answers is irrelevant and you can solve easier riddle ... answering in the reverse order ... the one knowing nothing first. I don't thing for random sequence of hat colors a strategy can save more than 100/3 in average.
IP Logged
wonderful

« Reply #2 on: May 6th, 2008, 1:50am »

Thanks Hippo. I editted the question to make it solvable. You might consider "Axiom of choice".

Have A Great Day!
IP Logged
temporary

« Reply #3 on: May 6th, 2008, 5:04pm »

Is their strategy to each individually want to go free or to maximize total freedom? If they wish to maximize freedom, they could just guess randomly and get infinite free prisoners.
IP Logged

My goal is to find what my goal is, once I find what my goal is, my goal will be complete.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »