wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Nonverbal IQ Test (Other Half of Ultra Test) »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 8:34pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: Grimbal, SMQ, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, william wu, towr, Eigenray)
   Nonverbal IQ Test (Other Half of Ultra Test)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Nonverbal IQ Test (Other Half of Ultra Test)  (Read 5960 times)
Polymath101

Nonverbal IQ Test (Other Half of Ultra Test)  
« on: Apr 1st, 2009, 6:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

37. If the four sides of a square consist of rods each of which is painted white or black, six distinct color patterns are possible: (1) all sides white, (2) all sides black, (3) one side white and the rest black, (4) one side black and the rest white, (5) two adjacent sides white and the other sides black, and (6) two opposite sides white and the other sides black. Suppose that each of the twelve edges of a cube is a rod that is painted white or black. How many distinct patterns are possible if any three of the rods are painted white and the other nine are painted black?

38. Suppose that the figure at right consists of nine rods of equal length joined together to form four equilateral triangles of equal size. If two of the rods are painted white and the remaining seven rods are painted black, how many distinct patterns can thereby be created?  

39. Suppose an octahedron consists of twelve rods all of equal length and forming eight equilateral triangles -- the eight sides of the octahedron. If any two of the rods are painted white and the rest black, how many distinct patterns are possible?

40. Suppose that the figure at right consists of thirty rods of equal length that form twelve pentagonal figures of equal size, which form the twelve sides of a regular dodecahedron. If any two rods are painted white and the remaining twenty-eight are painted black, how many distinct patterns are possible?  

41. Suppose an octahedron consists of twelve rods all of equal length and forming eight equilateral triangles -- the eight sides of the octahedron. If any three of the rods are painted white and the rest black, how many distinct patterns are possible?

42. If lightbulbs are put at two different corners of a square, two distinct patterns are possible: one in which the bulbs are at opposite ends of any side of the square, and one in which the bulbs are diagonally across from one another. If lightbulbs are put at four different corners of a cube, how many distinct patterns are possible?

43. If lightbulbs are placed at two different vertices of a regular dodecahedron, how many distinct patterns are possible?

44. Suppose that lightbulbs are placed at any three distinct vertices of a regular icosahedron (illustrated at right). How many distinct patterns can thereby be formed?

Draw the figure that should fill the blank (identified by the question mark) in each of the following series:  

For the problems that require images i have provided the following link:

http://www.eskimo.com/~miyaguch/ultra.html

Show your steps!
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2009, 7:44pm by Polymath101 » IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

Re: Nonverbal IQ Test (Other Half of Ultra Test)  
« Reply #1 on: Apr 2nd, 2009, 4:27pm »

For #37, I get ...9.. distinct patterns.

#38: ...8.. distinct patterns.

I might come back to the rest later...
IP Logged
Hippo
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Apr 4th, 2009, 12:09am »

This belong to medium, or may be easy.  
At least the top part I have read.
IP Logged
Polymath101

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15th, 2009, 7:50pm »

on Apr 2nd, 2009, 4:27pm, rmsgrey wrote:
For #37, I get ...9.. distinct patterns.

#38: ...8.. distinct patterns.

I might come back to the rest later...

If you could show me the steps to how you arrived at your answers, I would greatly appreciate it! Also, come back to the rest of the problems please! You seem to be a very intelligent person!
IP Logged
Polymath101

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15th, 2009, 7:51pm »

on Apr 4th, 2009, 12:09am, Hippo wrote:
This belong to medium, or may be easy.  
At least the top part I have read.

If this is so easy, why haven't you posted any answers? Grin
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16th, 2009, 6:24am »

on Apr 15th, 2009, 7:50pm, Polymath101 wrote:

If you could show me the steps to how you arrived at your answers, I would greatly appreciate it! Also, come back to the rest of the problems please! You seem to be a very intelligent person!

It's just a matter of methodically listing all the possibilities.

For example, with the triangle, the obvious distinction is between inner and outer rods.  

There's only one pattern with two white inner rods.

If the first white rod is outer, then all 6 possible locations are equivalent. If the other rod is inner, that gives three possibilities (forming a 60 degree angle, a 120 degree angle, or parallel and not touching).

If the other rod is outer, then they can both be at the same end of their sides of the triangle (clockwise or counter-clockwise) which only offers one pattern, or at opposite ends, in which case they can be sharing a corner, sharing an edge, or not touching, for three more patterns.

So, putting it all together, that's eight patterns.

For the cube, with three white edges, it's a little trickier because it's in three dimensions rather than two, but a little simpler because of the increased symmetry. A good place to start is by looking at three connected, two connected and an odd one, and all three disconnected.
IP Logged
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Apr 16th, 2009, 6:40am »

One problem with the cube is that it is not specified whether mirror images are considered equal or not.
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Apr 17th, 2009, 5:41am »

on Apr 16th, 2009, 6:40am, Grimbal wrote:
One problem with the cube is that it is not specified whether mirror images are considered equal or not.

Good point - my answer counted reflections as the same pattern - if you count them as distinct, then the four asymmetric patterns in my count need to be counted twice.
IP Logged
Polymath101

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20th, 2009, 7:20pm »

on Apr 16th, 2009, 6:24am, rmsgrey wrote:

It's just a matter of methodically listing all the possibilities.

For example, with the triangle, the obvious distinction is between inner and outer rods.  

There's only one pattern with two white inner rods.

If the first white rod is outer, then all 6 possible locations are equivalent. If the other rod is inner, that gives three possibilities (forming a 60 degree angle, a 120 degree angle, or parallel and not touching).

If the other rod is outer, then they can both be at the same end of their sides of the triangle (clockwise or counter-clockwise) which only offers one pattern, or at opposite ends, in which case they can be sharing a corner, sharing an edge, or not touching, for three more patterns.

So, putting it all together, that's eight patterns.

For the cube, with three white edges, it's a little trickier because it's in three dimensions rather than two, but a little simpler because of the increased symmetry. A good place to start is by looking at three connected, two connected and an odd one, and all three disconnected.

So...know any other answers?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »