wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - jumping frog »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 5:56am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: Eigenray, Grimbal, william wu, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, towr, SMQ)
   jumping frog
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: jumping frog  (Read 2046 times)
kyle1080

jumping frog  
« on: Sep 30th, 2009, 9:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

a1,a2,...,an are distinct positive integers and X is a set of n-1 positive integers not containing s = \sum ak, k=1 to n. A frog is to jump around on the real axis, starting at the point 0 and making n jumps to the right with lengths a1,a2,...,an in some order. Determine that the order can be chosen in such a way that the frog never lands on any point in X.
IP Logged
jpk2009

Re: jumping frog  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30th, 2009, 4:08pm »

The problem seems easy, so I probably got it wrong. If n = 1 and say a1 = 1 then X is empty. So the frog can jump form 0 to 1 but 1 is not it X because it is empty. If n = 2 and a1 = 1 and a2 = 2 then s = 3. But the problem says that X is just a set of positive integers not containing s. So, pick X = {11}. It does not contain 3 and the frog can make jumps of 1,2, and 3 lengths in that order, landing on 1,3,6. None of these numbers are in X either. Looking at n = 3 this also can be done. There must be something more about the set X that I don't understand.  

I messed X up for n = 2 at first but fixed it. It just seems that as long as the smallest integer in X is greater than s then it will always work. I thought that maybe X needs to be all of the positive integers excluding s but it says n-1 integers. :-/
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2009, 4:35pm by jpk2009 » IP Logged
Obob
Senior Riddler

« Reply #2 on: Sep 30th, 2009, 5:38pm »

You don't get to choose what X is.  It is given to you.
IP Logged
jpk2009

« Reply #3 on: Sep 30th, 2009, 7:09pm »

I thought I was missing something but please explain X.  It says that X is a set of n-1 positive integers not containing the sum s = a1 + a2 + ... + an. To me that means that X can, well, be a any set containing n-1 positive integers but one of them is not the sum s.
IP Logged
Obob
Senior Riddler

« Reply #4 on: Sep 30th, 2009, 8:14pm »

Yes, it means that it can be any set of n-1 numbers not containing s.  Which means that you have to show that no matter what set of n-1 numbers it is, you can find a way of hopping over them.  Not that for one particular set of n-1 numbers you can do so.

The numbers a1,...,an are also arbitrary distinct positive integers:  you don't get to pick what they are.

So the problem is as follows:  I tell you some distinct positive integers a1,...,an, and n-1 distinct positive integers b1,...,b{n-1}, none of which equal a1+...+an.  Now you have to tell me how the frog can make n leaps of sizes a1,...,an in some order so that he avoids all the integers bi.

To illustrate by exaggeration, if I ask you to "prove that the square of any integer is a positive number" you can't say "(-1)^2 = 1 is positive" as a solution.
IP Logged
jpk2009

« Reply #5 on: Sep 30th, 2009, 8:44pm »

Gotcha. Thanks!
IP Logged
JohanC
Senior Riddler

« Reply #6 on: Oct 1st, 2009, 2:22pm »

Hi, Obob,

Would it make sense to refrase the question as:
You are given n sticks a_i with all different integer lenghts.
On a road markers b_i are placed at n-1 different spots, but not at position 0 nor at the position s (s being the sum of the lengths of all the sticks).
The goal is to proof (e.g. by giving an algorithm or maybe via a clever pigeon hole trick) that the sticks can be laid down one after another in such a way that no sticks ends on a marker.
It is clear that position s will always be touched, and markers further away will never be reached.

My feeling is that such a description would make the problem easier to grasp. A jumping frog just seems too difficult to control  Smiley
JohanC
IP Logged
Obob
Senior Riddler

« Reply #7 on: Oct 1st, 2009, 3:54pm »

Of course that's the same.  I didn't propose the original question, though.
IP Logged
JohanC
Senior Riddler

« Reply #8 on: Oct 2nd, 2009, 6:45am »

Yes, I noticed you weren't the original poster, but you seemed to be quite familiar (or at least comfortable) with this puzzle. Therefore, my idea to check with you that I understood everything correctly.

After rewriting, I get the impression it's a problem that Towr would move to medium, or even to easy.

The solution I have in mind involves recursively putting pigeons outside their holes ....

Anyway, it's a nice little puzzle.
IP Logged
Obob
Senior Riddler

« Reply #9 on: Oct 2nd, 2009, 6:52am »

Care to elaborate?  I've thought about it a bit, but couldn't think of an immediate recursive solution.
IP Logged
Michael Dagg
Senior Riddler

« Reply #10 on: Oct 4th, 2009, 2:48pm »

That's not exactly trivial. I see one way to do it.
IP Logged

Regards,
Michael Dagg
R
Senior Riddler

Addicted!!!

« Reply #11 on: Oct 19th, 2009, 4:47am »

One last doubt:
Can the frog make jump of one particular size, say ai, more than once?
I read all the replies, excuse me, If someone has already answered it and I didn't notice.
IP Logged

The first experience seems like Magic, but the second tells you the Trick behind it.
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #12 on: Oct 19th, 2009, 2:42pm »

on Oct 19th, 2009, 4:47am, R wrote:
One last doubt:
Can the frog make jump of one particular size, say ai, more than once?
I read all the replies, excuse me, If someone has already answered it and I didn't notice.

He has to make exactly n jumps, and use n different numbers, which doesn't leave any room for repeats...
IP Logged
R
Senior Riddler

Addicted!!!

« Reply #13 on: Oct 20th, 2009, 1:12pm »

Can Induction work here?  

For base case n = 2, it is true. We have a1 and a2.  
If X = {a1}, then we can have jumps in order a2, a1.
If X = {a2}, then we can have jumps in order a1, a2.
else
in any order.

Assuming the hypothesis to be true for some n, we have a1, a2, ... an and X = {x1, x2... , xn-1} And no mark in X is touched by any jump. If we add one more jump-size an+1 to it, and also add xn s.t. xn = ai for 1<=i<=n, in worst case. Then we can have the jump order changed to a1, a2, ... an+1, an so that no mark is touched by any jump.  
Hence Proved!!!

I think I haven't done it correctly.  
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2009, 1:21pm by R » IP Logged

The first experience seems like Magic, but the second tells you the Trick behind it.
Obob
Senior Riddler

« Reply #14 on: Oct 20th, 2009, 4:16pm »

on Oct 20th, 2009, 1:12pm, R wrote:
If we add one more jump-size an+1 to it, and also add xn s.t. xn = ai for 1<=i<=n, in worst case. Then we can have the jump order changed to a1, a2, ... an+1, an so that no mark is touched by any jump.  

This isn't correct.  You have a problem any time xn equals any of the places visited by the previous path of jumps; not just when xn equals the last place that was visited.

I still don't know a correct solution, though.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »