wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Possible-Solution -to the- "Three-Way-Pistol-Duel" »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 2:25pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, SMQ, towr, william wu, Icarus, Eigenray, Grimbal)
   Possible-Solution -to the- "Three-Way-Pistol-Duel"
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Possible-Solution -to the- "Three-Way-Pistol-Duel"  (Read 4960 times)
Talabeh

Email

Possible-Solution -to the- "Three-Way-Pistol-Duel"  
« on: Apr 7th, 2012, 6:00pm »

I propose the following working conjuncture (solution): Since the problem asks one to determine "whome/what we should shoot at to maximize one's chances of survival, it would be prudent to approach the problem from the neutral observer perspective (non-dueler).  

If i am C, i know that since i can take out both A and B with a single shot, my best option would be to take out B  - it has 50 percent accuracy- in the first around.  

If i am A i know that the probability of hitting B and C is the same. Therefore, it makes no difference to whome A shoots at because his chances of survival is depended on the success and failure of both B and C.  

Let also look at how B would reason. B is in the worst possible situation. No matter what option B takes, the odds are always stacked against it.  

If B shoots at  either A or C, its success of survival are always lower than both A and C. Thus, B's object of target is irrelevant to his survival.      

From the above analysis, it follows  that if both A and B shoot at C (combining their probability of hitting the target: 30% +50%), the probability is higher that they will hit C. Hence, maximizing their chances of survival.  Since C is always in a win win situation. it would be pragmatic that A (and B) shoot at C!  

It seems that most think that A shouldn't shoot at anything. Hence, maximizing his/or her chances of survival. However, given the nature of the puzzle, this solution is irrelevant (Re-Read the puzzle to see what i mean!!!!).

Just a thought!!!
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2012, 6:01pm by Talabeh » IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Possible-Solution -to the- "Three-Way-Pis  
« Reply #1 on: Apr 8th, 2012, 1:54am »

Have you reread the puzzle yourself? The puzzle ask "What should you shoot at in round 1 to maximize your chances of survival over time?". So the ground is a perfectly valid answer. And since it maximizes your chances of survival it's a better answer then one of the other cyborgs.

Also, why are you creating a new topic for this? You already posted in the existing topic.
I'm locking this thread.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Pages: 1  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »