wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Alien Experiment »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 8:50pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: SMQ, ThudnBlunder, Grimbal, Icarus, towr, Eigenray, william wu)
   Alien Experiment
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Alien Experiment  (Read 4342 times)
Enigami

Alien Experiment  
« on: Jun 11th, 2013, 7:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys!  
I hope this riddle is not already posted, by someone else(or me) (I did some effort and didn't find it) and that this is it's rightful place.
It goes as follows:

20 mathematicians are abducted into a huge alien spaceship. After being physically tested, they hear this telepathic message:
"Greeting Earthlings. We present to you a mental challenge. You will each receive a number from 1 to 20, with, possibly, repetitions.This number will hollographically appear above your head, but you can not see your own number.
Then, you will be inserted into a room with all the other Earthlings. Any form of communication with the other Earthlings in this room will result your collective and creative death.
At the end, each one will be simultaneously and telepathically asked about the number above his head.
If one or more of you have it right, you will all be granted a cake. It is not a lie.  
Otherwise, for the sake of science, further 'experimentation' on you will be conducted.
You may discuss a strategy among yourselves before the challenge begins, before getting your numbers. Ok, we love you, babye"
As one of the mathematicians, what strategy would you propose to maximize the group's chance of getting cake?

Hint below:
hidden:
You can devise a faultless cake obtaining strategy
IP Logged
Enigami

Re: Alien Experiment  
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11th, 2013, 10:15pm »

Oh wait. I have. And also was surprised to see I came up with the same story. Old thread link
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #2 on: Jun 12th, 2013, 10:16am »

I'm impressed you managed to find it back after three years  Tongue

I'm less impressed that I keep forgetting the answer. Embarassed
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
nakli

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 21st, 2013, 1:42am »

There are few solutions. But Hippo has left an open question (refer to his comment asking for the number of 'latin hypercubes' possible) as to how many possible solutions can exist ..  

IP Logged

I was born naked on a bed with a lady.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »